Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clothing options

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jam-R1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Clothing options Reply with quote

So motorbike clothing has come a long way by the looks of things in the past few years. Protective jeans and hoodies - great inventions.
In the market for all new kit - are there any brands to avoid or is everything about the same nowadays? RST, HJC, Shark for example used to be budget cheap stuff that wasn’t all good, but looking now they look just as good as the big brand stuff.

Helmets wise - would a £700 Shoei be much better than a £200 HJC? Are there any brands out there that offer better value for money than others?

Cheers

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

With lids what fits best is probably more important. You don't necessarily have to spend hundreds. Even a 40 quid
job can meet ACU gold requirements. Clothing is again a personal choice, but certainly don't skimp on gloves
and wear something sturdy on your feet. You need to decide whether casual clothes reinforced with aramid/kevlar,
textiles or leathers will suit what kind of riding you want to do. For me the best kit innovations of recent times are
pinlock visor technology and D30 armour. I have bought full carbon fibre Shark and HJC helmets for less than £300
so you really don't have to spend mega money to get lightweight and high levels of protection from your lid. I bought
the vast bulk of my clothing second hand bar a few exceptions which is a way to stretch your budget and still get high
end gear.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:30 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Grr's 'whatever helmet fits best' simply because they are all really only designed to save your head when you fall 5 or 6 feet off the bike and won't save you if you headbutt anything.

I quite like Shark.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit is a bit of a minefield, unfortunately.

As said, on helmets, fit is most important. After that it's weight and bulk, for me. Shell sizes on cheaper lids tend to go in 2 size increments. say XS and S, M and L, XL and XXL ish. If you're at the lower end of one of the shell sizes, then you've got a bulkier, heavier lid than if you were able to just get in the next one down. Weight and size make a difference to long term comfort IMO. I've (relatively) recently swapped to a Shark carbon lid with 'air-fit' cheek pads, after years of being a Shoei kind of guy - for less money, the Shark has more features, better ratings, less weight and bulkiness, so it was an absolute no brainer. Wouldn't have bought it if it didn't fit well, though...

As for aramide / kevlar jeans and the like. They have their benefits / weaknesses. If you're getting jeans they have to be a relatively snug fit, otherwise your knee pads will just move around and when you come off that's not particularly helpful. Likewise the bottoms around the ankle - need to be tight so they don't ride up but then if you're going to wear them with bulky boots then guess what, you can't get the boots under the jeans. The ratings help these days, in understanding what level of protection they're going to provide, whereas before you'd have to turn them inside out to see where the lining starts / stops. I have two pairs, a pair of Route One and a pair of Knox AAA's. The Route One are infinitely more comfortable to wear, lighter, more breathable, an easier fit, easier to slip over boots - but for all those things they are less safe. The Knox are much safer, but less comfortable, harder to fit over boots, much warmer (I mean much, much warmer - on cold days you're thankful for it, on hot days your baws are baking in your own grim juices).

I have also had a really frustrating problem with my Knox that I didn't expect - they have knee pads that remove from the outside, ie there's a zip on the pocket externally. That zip has scratched the plastics on my bike Rolling Eyes So yeah, making knee pads more practical to get in and out and made them impractical to wear on that bike as the zip sits proud and just at the wrong point where it makes contact. Arse.

Other problem with jeans is there's seemingly no universal zip pattern to attach it to a jacket. Buy a new jacket, then have to unpick the opposite end of the zip you've put in your old jacket and re-sew it into new jacket. Or get one of those RST Belt Loop things (which I have, and is a PITA) and sew all the different zip halves you have from your various jackets (which I've done) so that you can attach any particular one of your choice on the day. The problem is then you're walking around with this ridiculous looking zip contraption stuck around your waist and the only point of wearing kevlar jeans is for convenience of not looking like a freak-show as you get off the bike the other side. Ruins the practicality.

And if you're going the jeans option then you've got boots to consider. Anything bulky/uncomfortable you won't want to walk in them the other side so will be taking a change of clothes anyway. Anything less bulky you're losing at least some shin protection. And that shin protection does something else that's useful - it gives your waterproof over-suit something to grip onto so that your trouser legs don't ride up when you're on the bike soaking the bottom of your jeans, because you've tucked them into the boot and draped your WP's over the boot / synched 'em down proper like. Ask me how I know this, after a couple of trips away touring with shorty boots with waterproofs that didn't work well in combination....

Gear needs to work in combination or it's failing at the weakest link. Finding stuff that all works together is harder than you think. When you find something that really works and you've tested it in the real world, buy more of it while you can, IMO.

I am Teflon Mike and I clam my 5 ponds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I only have a couple of big puddles - might they suffice??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:28 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 or 4 HJC lids, and they are very good. Not quite up to Shoei standards, but very very close indeed. I currently have a Shoei, but I got it relatively cheaply, and only paid a bit more than the equivalent HJC. It is more comfortable, durable and built a touch better, but we're talking tiny degrees here. It's not the same as an ancient BOX lid vs an Arai or something.

RST are now the go-to reasonably priced brand for clothing, and I'd trust their stuff. It is on the cheaper end, but much like HJC it's perfectly fine.

I'd still avoid cheapo lids, lids from vendors you don't know or trust or any clothing that claims to be CE marked but made to measure in Pakistan. Other than that, buy from reputable sources (not WISH or Aliexpress or anything like that!) and buy brands you recognise, and you'll do OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:29 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a slightly alternative perspective on what gear you need from Fortnine. Selecting gear based on where people sustain injuries rather than what you perceive you need.
https://youtu.be/rmWQKoN6yX0

Also. What is going to make you less likely to die in a crash. A £500 helmet or a £200 helmet and an IAM advanced riding course?
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:02 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
Bikers are pussy's now. In my day it was a lid,boots, some gloves and a pair of levi`s

Yeah and the only traffic on the road was a Ford Model T that the Lord of the Manor owned, and a couple of oxen pulling a cart full of manure.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:06 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how discovering that road rash fucking hurts turns people into pussies so quickly.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm definitely a gear every single time kind of guy. A lot of that is because I like looking at myself in
shop windows when I'm out on the bike Cool. Also, I've spent too much money on tattoos to want to rub them out
with some tarmac.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I have to say I'm definitely a gear every single time kind of guy. A lot of that is because I like looking at myself in
shop windows when I'm out on the bike Cool. Also, I've spent too much money on tattoos to want to rub them out
with some tarmac.

Thats an interesting point. How deep do tatoos go? Would sliding down the road wipe one out?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:07 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't want to be the one who has to find out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:12 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
dave001 wrote:
Bikers are pussy's now. In my day it was a lid,boots, some gloves and a pair of levi`s

Yeah and the only traffic on the road was a Ford Model T that the Lord of the Manor owned, and a couple of oxen pulling a cart full of manure.

And if there was an accident, providing you sounded your warning bell prior to the collision, it was acceptable to surrender up your flagman for a horsewhipping by means of recompense.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Thats an interesting point. How deep do tatoos go? Would sliding down the road wipe one out?

Quote:
A Tattoo needle penetrates 5 layers of the epidermis
That may sound like a lot of skin, but in reality it is only 1/16th of an inch, about 1-2mm. That's pretty tiny. It goes through five layers of the epidermis, through the dermal layer, and into the topmost layer of the dermis.

https://themotolady.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/monster-crash-rash2.jpg

https://themotolady.com/crashing-my-motorcycle/

No thanks.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

Sure, cemeteries are full of heroes and disabled accessible places are in abundance these days. Thinking

But in all seriousness, I say let people wear whatever they want. I mean, I crashed a motorcycle only twice in maybe 14 years of riding, both times in full gear, and both times I only got a few bruises and one time a limp for a week or two.

Let's say those boots you mention were firm enough, the ''Levi's'' would most like not protect my knees and hips. Also, road rash is much worse than broken bones and takes much longer to heal. Sure, some people are lucky, riding in shorts, trainers, t-shirts... but it does not take much to feck up your knees (*hard to fix), ankles (*can't be fixed), hips (*very hard to fix), wrists (*very hard to fix), elbows (*can't be fixed)... and your spine (*can't be fixed). One unlucky event and you'll never ride again.

This pretty much goes for everything. You can't tell immediately, but in the long run unwanted stuff might happen. For instance, very loud noises combined with ''yeah, I don't need hearing protection... Oh, what's that? Tinnitus, hearing loss, going deaf.'' Or ''who needs a proper welding mask, I can just close my eyes... Oh, what's that? I see flashing lights and black spots, going blind.'' And I could go on.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:36 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy with my current gear even if jeans are a bit too baggy. I find it very difficult to find the perfect fit.

My shark helmet (open but with jaw protection) feels perfect for summer (plus it was on massive sale at MandP).

My textile jacket though did fill up like a sail today on commute home. All vents closed up, snug at waist and throat so need to figure out whats going on.

I dont judge other riders by what they wear though. Can see the merit in both minimalist and overkill approaches. Although the Cardiff guy in sandles on his Honda today was probably pushing the boundaries!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:41 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
fuck me, that got you lot typing.

Fortunately for the sanity of the rest of us trying to understand it you just struggling through no more than a line or two.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:35 - 01 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hideout ( or any other good clothing shop) will make you a joiner piece with whatever brand of zip you want on either end. They made me one for RST to Dainese and vice versa, think it was about £40.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
dave001 wrote:

Sure, cemeteries are full of heroes and disabled accessible places are in abundance these days. Thinking

But in all seriousness, I say let people wear whatever they want. I mean, I crashed a motorcycle only twice in maybe 14 years of riding, both times in full gear, and both times I only got a few bruises and one time a limp for a week or two.

Let's say those boots you mention were firm enough, the ''Levi's'' would most like not protect my knees and hips. Also, road rash is much worse than broken bones and takes much longer to heal. Sure, some people are lucky, riding in shorts, trainers, t-shirts... but it does not take much to feck up your knees (*hard to fix), ankles (*can't be fixed), hips (*very hard to fix), wrists (*very hard to fix), elbows (*can't be fixed)... and your spine (*can't be fixed). One unlucky event and you'll never ride again.

This pretty much goes for everything. You can't tell immediately, but in the long run unwanted stuff might happen. For instance, very loud noises combined with ''yeah, I don't need hearing protection... Oh, what's that? Tinnitus, hearing loss, going deaf.'' Or ''who needs a proper welding mask, I can just close my eyes... Oh, what's that? I see flashing lights and black spots, going blind.'' And I could go on.

EDIT: Funny stuff happened today. I went through a bend on my motorcycle, ran over fine dust, lost the rear end, hit my knee on the ground, the foot peg hit my calf, then I sort of used what I knew from driving cars in/on snow/ice (never let go of the throttle, feather it to control the grip*) and regained the grip again, saved the bike. If I was in shorts and trainers, I'd be quite unhappy right now. A minor bruising on my knee, but other than that, no damage whatsoever. Thumbs Up

*...or I was just lucky. Be that as it may, if I wore shorts/jeans, I would have probably not be able to use my knee to support the bike while it was losing grip mid-corner. Well, and the foot peg would definitely leave a mark in my calf.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1