Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Datatool Alarm Haterz #2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:57 - 03 Jun 2023    Post subject: Datatool Alarm Haterz #2 Reply with quote

I did a google for this and ended up on an old thread on this very forum. I didn't want to resurrect it, so I figured I'd just make a post. I'm not specifically asking for help because the job is done now, but there is an ancillary ask I have that people may be able to help with.

I just removed a Datatool S4 red from my GSXR750. If you forgot to disarm it before turning on the ignition it would trigger an FI light on the dash. IMO that is unacceptable. The bike is intended for track use, and the alarm seemed like overkill. I've previously had a datatool alarm on my Buell that died to the point where I could not disarm it, or start the bike. I decided that it was well worth removing before I ended up in the same place with my GSXR.

The thing is now in the bin and still beeping away thinking I have a low battery. Anybody know a quick method of silencing it other than throwing it in a bucket of water?

Motorcycle alarms really are shite aren't they? The alarm on my Porker just works. No ifs, no buts, no FI lights. If you open the door and you're not supposed to, the alarm goes off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 03 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: Datatool Alarm Haterz #2 Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I did a google for this and ended up on an old thread on this very forum. I didn't want to resurrect it, so I figured I'd just make a post. I'm not specifically asking for help because the job is done now, but there is an ancillary ask I have that people may be able to help with.

I just removed a Datatool S4 red from my GSXR750. If you forgot to disarm it before turning on the ignition it would trigger an FI light on the dash. IMO that is unacceptable. The bike is intended for track use, and the alarm seemed like overkill. I've previously had a datatool alarm on my Buell that died to the point where I could not disarm it, or start the bike. I decided that it was well worth removing before I ended up in the same place with my GSXR.

The thing is now in the bin and still beeping away thinking I have a low battery. Anybody know a quick method of silencing it other than throwing it in a bucket of water?

Motorcycle alarms really are shite aren't they? The alarm on my Porker just works. No ifs, no buts, no FI lights. If you open the door and you're not supposed to, the alarm goes off.

I agree, but perhaps thats the reason. No doors. So doesn't go off if something nudges it? Someone sits their brat on it? There isn't the sort of black and white that a car alarm has to deal with that the poor bike system can't.

I'm sort of trying to defend them but I've never had one on any of my bikes except the 1800 wing. Immobilisers yes, alarms, no.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 03 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alarms. Why bother? No one reacts in any way other than annoyance. Immobilisers, fair enough but if you want more than that it's tagging or GPS tracking.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:13 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Alarms. Why bother? No one reacts in any way other than annoyance. Immobilisers, fair enough but if you want more than that it's tagging or GPS tracking.

Agree.

I think the primary difference between the Porker alarm and most motorcycle alarms is the porker alarm is made by Porsche. It does set off properly if you nudge the car hard, if you try to start it without the keyfob present, if you open a door or the frunk with it alarmed etc.

I suspect bike manufacturers won't add 1kg of weight for an alarm because that's 1kg of weight they have to add to the spec sheet. On a car it's less of an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know a quick method of silencing it other than throwing it in a bucket of water?

Drill a few holes in it near the sounder, that'll shut it up
or crack it open with hammer chisel and rip the guts out of it

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire. Copious amounts of fire. It deserves it. As does every datatool.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tear the lid off and cut the battery terminal from the board.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this alarm 12 years old?

I know you know where this is going Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:52 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
So is this alarm 12 years old?

I know you know where this is going Laughing

It worked OK. It armed and disarmed OK. It just happened to trigger an FI light on the dash if you did not disarm it before turning on the ignition. Once this happened you then needed to run the engine 3 times before you have access to your trip meter or time of day clock.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 04 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I thought it was a failure.

FI light was likely for the fuel pump as that's switched via one of the immobiliser circuits in the S4, it's a recommend fitment point. I guess the S4 was designed before all singing and dancing FI error reporting.

I do agree alarms can be annoying, especially in your bikes case.

Can't remember if the red has one or two immobiliser circuits. It should have been immobilised via the starter relay and/or pickups to stop the error. Incompetent fitter.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1