Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

paugeot tweet 125cc - Advice about selling

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bloodwolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:44 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: paugeot tweet 125cc - Advice about selling Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

My CBT runs out in July and I'm currently doing driving lessons, so I'll be selling my bike around that time. However I could really do with some advice, because I don't know what my best options are.

This moped was stolen and since then I've just had endless issues with bulb blowing and battery's over charging.

So from the last topic I did, you will see the Rectifier/Regulator isn't there, which is causing all the issues.

So, do I fix this bike myself and then sell it? Do I sell it has parts/spares or do I sell it has a project for someone?

I have brought the regulator, however I have a feeling the cable won't be there. However I can get a full wiring harness for about £40 2nd hand.

I know it's hard too say without seeing photos of the condition of the bike, but I will take some tomorrow at some point and add them.

Here is a list of what needs doing
Regulator installing
New wiring if cable isn't there
New front panel
*Maybe new ignition*

I am not an expert in any of this, so I would really apricate the advice of the best route to take please. This bike is still used every single day, because it's my transport to work and back. However I am now on my 6th battery because the over charge is destroying.

The last topic about this bike
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=335071&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

Thank you,
Paul

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:48 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked at your other thread I would say there's absolutely no point in persevering with the existing loom, so I reckon you have four options:
- take it to a garage and get them to re-wire it using a 2nd hand loom (£££ if they will even touch it)
- re-wire it yourself - not a trivial undertaking... are you confident of taking on a big job like that?
- sling it on eBay as spares/repairs explaining the stolen/recovered bit and the charging fault

The fourth possibility I have successfully used in the past is to buy another of the same type of scooter, crashed/spares or repair etc. then make one good one out of the two of them, keeping the excess bits as handy spares. Again, depends on how confident you are/quality of available helpers etc.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A complete wiring loom is £30 ~ £60. If you're okay stripping all the panels off then it's just the time to swap one for the other. In the process you'll go all over the bike so you might spot other damaged or missing components.

You don't need to be an electrical expert just be methodical. The advantage you'll have is laying out the loom next to the bike and then it's nice and easy to see all the connectors and identify what they plug into on the bike before even starting. Take a load of photos on your phone if you have to.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:14 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! The 'throw bits and money at it at random until it starts working again' approach to repairs.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its fair to say you don't have much of a clue about fixing it yourself
so it's hard to rely on your description of its faults and issues.
A bike shop will probably charge you plenty to sort it, perhaps more than it worth
or more than you're willing to invest in it.
It sounds as if you're currently overcharging and boiling up batteries when you really don't need to
when it's a pretty simple bike to fix.

I see no mention of its age, mileage or general condition which makes it harder to assess its value
but I'd say its spares/repair job so get what you can for it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Ah! The 'throw bits and money at it at random until it starts working again' approach to repairs.

Cheap scooters, cheap parts. Having seen the arbitrary damage done to stolen scooters I'd write the wiring off. TBF an over the top move but only if you're okay reading a wiring diagram.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:28 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's already got though 6 batteries rather than fix the actual problem. I can't see it ending up well.

Wd Forte has it right.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 30 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 batteries? seriously?
at a conservative 20 quid a battery that's £120
A cheap chinese RR and a few connectors to patch it in would have cost less then one.

bloodwolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:40 - 07 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delay reply.

I haven't fixed it, because my CBT expires late July so I only needed it to keep going until then. I also haven't had the time because of work and other commitments.

I have 14 days of in July, so that is when I plan too fix it (If its worth the cost of doing so)

I can fix the wiring loom, put new barrel on. However it will still have that cracked front panel that you can see in the photo.

I use this bike every day for work etc, other than the issue with battery, it runs really well.

I have never sold bikes before, that's why I need advice from you guys regarding the best route.

If I fix the wiring and put new barrel in, would i get much or is it better just to sell for parts?

I paid £1,200 when i brought it and also it's done 15,000km

Thanks again.

https://i.ibb.co/kxBGt2B/IMG-20230606-113404.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/FVyhJr8/IMG-20230606-113351.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/5TnKvYM/IMG-20230606-113343.jpg

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:36 - 07 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you can just connect in the missing regulator? I can't really see how you wouldn't have the time for that - certainly won't take more than SIX battery charges!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 07 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to get conflicting answers on here depending on who is talking.

I would buy a reg/rec, put it on and see if that fixed it. If it did, fine, sell it on ebay as a going concern. Other than the reg/rec I wouldn't spend another penny on it, get what every you can and move on.

If it doesn't fix it, spares or repair and same, get what you can and move on.

I do not know your financial situation, can you take the hit and find another way to get to work as you are just hemorrhaging money on it at present.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:11 - 07 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just buy a fibreglassing kit to stick that Panel back together but there again I take perverse delight in getting resin everywhere andnstuck to everything it shouldn't be stuck to.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 09:49 - 10 Jun 2023; edited 1 time in total

bloodwolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:17 - 10 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
6 batteries? seriously?
at a conservative 20 quid a battery that's £120
A cheap chinese RR and a few connectors to patch it in would have cost less then one.

£49.99, but when it goes I take it back has faulty and get a new one. Then after that I buy one again and do the same. It's still £150 though Neutral

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
Surely you can just connect in the missing regulator? I can't really see how you wouldn't have the time for that - certainly won't take more than SIX battery charges!

No, because the connector isn't there.

I had this moped for around a year with no issues ever, then it got stolen by them hotwiring it. Since everything got reconnected, that is when all the issues started.

I honestly have no idea how it was fine for a year, because the regulator was never there since I've had it (Unless it's been removed from original place and put somewhere else)

Thank you everyone, I have order the wiring loom and I already have a new regulator. I'll be fixing this next month when I am off work and will update the outcome.

Maybe when I remove all the panels, I'll find a regulator and it's then just a case of wire in the wrong place, but we will see.

It's a good bike and it runs really well other than this issue. So for the cost of £30 for parts, I guess it's worth trying too fix it then I can just sell it and just put about the crack in panel.

This is the one I brought and the arrow is the connector that isn't on the bike, this is where the regulator connects to.
https://i.ibb.co/N2k2Ff0/har.jpg

bloodwolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:07 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Can anyone recommend a code reader that would work with my moped? I've looked on Google and can't seem too find anything that I'm confident enough too but.

It would be great if it can do cars and bikes, but happy if it only does the moped.

Thanks

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:45 - 16 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloodwolf wrote:
Hello again,

Can anyone recommend a code reader that would work with my moped? I've looked on Google and can't seem too find anything that I'm confident enough too but.

It would be great if it can do cars and bikes, but happy if it only does the moped.

Thanks

Bikes IME don't have the same OBD2 socket as the one you find on cars, e.g. my Honda has a 4-pin socket, the TGB I fixed for someone recently had a 3-pin one...

The standard OBD2 code readers will work, you just need the relevant adapter for your Peugeot. Unless you can find reference to it in a manual, you will need to locate the plug on your loom (having seen it, good luck with that).

When you do find it, Aliexpress have loads of them, hopefully they'll have something that will fit.

deadly_penguin
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloodwolf wrote:
Hello again,

Thanks

If that Peugeot has a CAN bus, I'd be very surprised. It might flash an engine management light if you connect a wire in the right place maybe. Buy the Haynes for the thing, that'll tell you everything you need.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1