Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 06 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiped the layer of dust off it as i happened to be passing by with a wet cloth in my hand.

must book an MOT and get back out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 07 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
What would be the highlight? The low weight, the nature of 2-strokes?

Both. Add in a healthy dose of nostalgia. And royally pissing off a lot of people. It's amazing how many people will yell and scream about it being illegal. It's properly anti-social and I love it.

I've found someone to lace rims. Now on the hunt for donor hubs. It's getting the Motard treatment.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still seriously pissed off that I wasn't in a position to buy it off Sophie.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lucked out. And bugged Sophie every so often about selling it. Not many bikes I want like I wanted this one. Maybe a original V-Max.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 11 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
wiped the layer of dust off it as i happened to be passing by with a wet cloth in my hand.

must book an MOT and get back out there.

Yes you must.

(Even I have managed to get back out there. Laughing )

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 11 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the GSX for a blast over to the Ace Caff.
Got rid of some cobwebs - both me and the bike Cool Thumbs Up

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 11 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

started it up for the first time in about 8 months. fired up almost immediately which was a relief.
let it run until the fan kicked in. the garage had that lovely hot engine/fuel smell after. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Suzuki to work today.
Just to see how it felt being in the saddle right across town again.

Been over 6 years since I regularly commuted along there.
I mostly enjoyed going my usual route except the traffic on The Highway was *mental*.

I stopped at several traffic lights with a chap on a Triumph (?sprint) and asked him how long has it been this bad? and he says, oh its usually mainly on Tuesdays that its this bad - but its not great.
Apparently Fridays is less busy cos everyone works from home.
And its 20mph almost all the way from the Limehouse Link Rolling Eyes

So by the time I got to Trafalgar Square, I was very pleased to be able to treat myself to a leisurely cruise down The Mall. Cool Thumbs Up

Might do it another day soon.
Have to get used to a v.heavy rucksack with sturdy lock and chain, laptop, books etc though Rolling Eyes not a fan of that Brick Wall
I must have used to be stronger cos I didnt use to mind that sort of weight in a rucksack. Might need to "man up" a bit, been a few years!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 13 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Have to get used to a v.heavy rucksack with sturdy lock and chain, laptop, books etc though Rolling Eyes not a fan of that Brick Wall
I must have used to be stronger cos I didnt use to mind that sort of weight in a rucksack. Might need to "man up" a bit, been a few years!

Get a seat pack for the heavy chain and lock.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 17 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

taxed and MOT'd it.
tried a local back road garage after having a less than stellar experience with the local Suzuki dealer last year.
turned out to be a nice bunch of fellas who like a chat and a giggle.
a refreshing change from a lot of places these days that feel so clinical and only interested in your money.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 17 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it to Halfords today and bought some chain lube (whoop-di-doo!) - which I was horrified to discover smells like bubble gum, WTF, have the car-detailer fancy smells invaded every single vehicle industry?

Then I remembered how much I hate lubing chains, especially as I am very out of practice ... got some on the back tyre, etc, fucking annoying.

Bought some 20/50 oil too - but wasnt 'til I got halfway home that I realised I usually buy that for the SNARLEY, and not really sure I can use it in the Suzuki, even though it's even older (1986).

What oil should I be using in a bike of that many years?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 17 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gsx550 used to take 10w40

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 17 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

took it for its first joy ride of the year. had forgotten just how much fun it can be.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 17 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
What oil should I be using in a bike of that many years?

Any Jap twin/triple/4-banger from the mid-'70s onwards you can consider a "modern engine" (by European standards) so 10W30 or 10W40 unless otherwise specified.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 17 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I shall go out tomorrow and get some Cool Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:48 - 18 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Thank you, I shall go out tomorrow and get some Cool Thumbs Up

The lower number is a guide to how easy or difficult the engine will be to turn over when starting.
Cold engine, cold oil will be when the starter motor works hardest to turn the engine.
Faster turnover speed aids compression values and detonation of the airtfuel mixture.

20 50 will be fine for your machines.

Possibly a bit dour to start on cold mornings.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 18 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually see 20W50 mentioned more for "agricultural engines" i.e. old Triumphs and errr... Harleys in general Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 19 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the kid next door's 125...

If you recall the garage said "catastrophic loss of compression" for the non-start issue so the kid went out and bought a spare engine Shocked Compression on this one is also bad but 60psi bad so maybe it can be salvaged. He's looking at rebuilding one good engine out of the two or scrapping it altogether and getting a replacement bike.

Oh dear Sad All I could do was point out the time it'll take might be offset by the learning experience but I have a feeling he needs a working bike urgently.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 22 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accidentally killed it. Then brought it back to life again. Tried to fit the "plug and play" Denali mini sound-bomb horn
I bought some time ago because the factory fit one sounds like road runner. Plug and play it said....

It took out the horn, indicators, headlights, tail lights, turn signals and hazards and the bugger wouldn't start either.
I had power to my TFT screen, injectors were priming on turning the key but it would NOT start no matter what.
It may have even been the immobiliser? Who knows?

Called Fowlers after re fitment of stock horn because warranty and was told it could be collected (at my cost) on
14th July... Shocked Investigation of fault commencing on 17th. This prompted me to RTFM and locate the fuse boxes
(there's 3). I had a look and fortunately the first fuse I pulled was the one that had gone, a single 7.5a micro blade
fuse that is seemingly the mainstay of all the lights, horn and starter.

Anyways, started first time once that was replaced by one of the handy spares Yamaha also supplied in the fuse boxes.

Glad Grr is glad.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 23 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Accidentally killed it. Then brought it back to life again. Tried to fit the "plug and play" Denali mini sound-bomb horn
I bought some time ago because the factory fit one sounds like road runner. Plug and play it said....

It took out the horn, indicators, headlights, tail lights, turn signals and hazards and the bugger wouldn't start either.
I had power to my TFT screen, injectors were priming on turning the key but it would NOT start no matter what.
It may have even been the immobiliser? Who knows?

Called Fowlers after re fitment of stock horn because warranty and was told it could be collected (at my cost) on
14th July... Shocked Investigation of fault commencing on 17th. This prompted me to RTFM and locate the fuse boxes
(there's 3). I had a look and fortunately the first fuse I pulled was the one that had gone, a single 7.5a micro blade
fuse that is seemingly the mainstay of all the lights, horn and starter.

Anyways, started first time once that was replaced by one of the handy spares Yamaha also supplied in the fuse boxes.

Glad Grr is glad.

Sounds like you need a relay and some heavier gauge wiring for it to go on a new dedicated 10A fused circuit direct from the battery.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 23 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Sounds like you need a relay and some heavier gauge wiring for it to go on a new dedicated 10A fused circuit direct from the battery.

Probably true. According to the box it's a 5 amp draw. What I'll probably do is flog it on and sack the whole idea.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 23 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to stick on some tank pads. The supposedly aluminium tank cover is actually some form of metallic marzipan so just to cover up the scratches Smile

Anyhoo, first side looks lovely. Completely lashed up the other side Sad It's Friday, I'll blame it on low beer levels.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 24 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebuilt the fuel tap after i started to get a slight petrol leak when switching between on and off.
for once an easy job that went without any problems being encountered.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 25 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually yesterday by the time of this post. But I made a little bit of progress in removing components from the sides of the engine of the fucked bike (pistons and rings) I pictured in The Workshop. The alternator, clutch, external gear selector mech, clutch, starter and starter clutch, front sprocket and chain, points, advancer unit, electrical connections all have to be removed/disconnected before I can remove the engine, then put it on something and split the cases. The cases need to be split to pick out bits of rings and piston from the engine. So it's all happening. It's a big task but I'm going to be chipping at it every evening until it's done. Only one booboo so far: breaking the crank's positioning spindle for setting the ATU at TDC. I can fix that though. It's a very old engine and there will be many other challenges, seized bolts, snapped spindles etc. in this process. But it's got to be done... I will renew some wear items, get the cylinders professionally bored, fit oversized new pistons and rings (already got them) and check lots of wear items inside the engine. I know the seals and bearings are all good but that's it. This work feels strangely like an act of defiance... When done, this engine will be like new. And the rest of the bike I put together myself, frame up, so I know it's already good. It will be done. I am all-in.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 25 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
...get the cylinders professionally bored, fit oversized new pistons and rings (already got them)

Wouldn't you get the pistons after? I'd have thought whoever redid the cylinders would tell you what pistons you will need Thinking

Quote:
This work feels strangely like an act of defiance...

Tally-ho! Thumbs Up
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 38 of 47