Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Audio SatNav and best "A" class bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:28 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Audio SatNav and best "A" class bike. Reply with quote

Hi all,

first of all, a question that I am not in desperate need of an answer to, but it would be interesting, to me: -

Does anybody know of a small SatNav that has an audio output via an 3.5mm phono socket? I reckon that riding a motorbike has so many things that one must keep an eye on that to add a SatNav screen to the equation is just a step too far. Looking to the future I would like a SatNAv that I could pop in a pocket and listen to the instructions via my ear pods. I do have the Ridermount GPS Audio, but my gut feeling is that it requires too many wires floating about.
Any ideas?

A second thing, relating to my original "Advice needed for a Newbie" post. I think I have found the ideal bike to get through the "A" class tests. It is the Kawasaki Z650. It is "A" class, just! 50.2KW but shorter, and narrower than my beloved 500 Rebel and the same weight. I reckon it should be more manoeuvrable. So I have bitten the bullet and bought one. It has been lowered and adjusted to suit me and will be registered and taxed from 01/07/23 so I'm looking forward to some interesting practice sessions, and, hopefully, Mod1 and Mod2 passes.

Happy biking to all

Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folk swear by their phone as a SatNav.
Some swear that a Tom Tom is all you need for a SatNav.
I use Garmin in my car and on my bikes. Car SatNAv and Bike SatNAv.

The Garmin Bike models have features that nothing else provides.

Bluetooth comms is useful then you can use airpods and do not have additional phaphery of a cable. (Which works but is an erse of a thing when the BT tech is relatively inexpensive now.)

As to distractions.
You just use it when possible.
When spoken commands are available there is almost no need to look at a screen.

Phone as a SatNav? I have not seen any app that can compare to the systems that Garmin use.

Phone apps are maybe available for $$ ££ but again I have not seen any that I would even give $£ for.

Some Apps need Internet to work. Navmi is one App I use and It is practically s4ite.
Maybe fine if you do not use proper SatNavs but the app is extremely not friendly to navigation on the move.

Tom Tom Satnavs are limited too. I have experience of those.

Garmin are probably expensive but if you will use a SatNAv more than Now-And-Again the investment is worth it.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just for the audio I found Google maps on a phone to be fine. Cant see why you'd want to pay a lot for a real satnav if you aren't going to use the screen.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:14 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Audio SatNav and best "A" class bike. Reply with quote

Hi MCN,

my guess is that you may be on MCN staff, and therefore an experienced biker.

Quote:

Such as? If it includes a 3.5 mm phono socket they do not say.

I am not into Bluetooth, and my mobile is PAYG so, at the moment, using it for navigation is not an option.

Cheers

Tony N

P.S. I have never driven a Renault 5, and wouldn't have one as a gift, but I do have 3 recently acquired motorbikes, A1, A2 and A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:23 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, he works in the oil industry.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love an old Renault 5 GT Turbo. Used to love those mad little cars.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Android tablets with free offline gps apps on them
I like the big screen in the car
plus a spare android phone with google offline maps on it I can and have used as a satnav.
You wont get traffic and some other info offline of course

Openstreetmap for Android is free and pretty good and there are other free offline apps too.

You could probably even use google maps on your PAYG phone providing
it has sufficient data

even giffgaff allows you 20GB

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: Audio SatNav and best "A" class bike. Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi MCN,

Quote:

I am not into Bluetooth, and my mobile is PAYG so, at the moment, using it for navigation is not an option.

Cheers

Tony N

P.S. I have never driven a Renault 5, and wouldn't have one as a gift, but I do have 3 recently acquired motorbikes, A1, A2 and A.

I use the acronym for Motorcycle News as it is (was) regarded as one of the nemesis of BCF.
For.maximum pissfolkoff effect I use an image of Jeremy Kyle as MCN avatar.
Coz BCF stalwarts got upset by him (and Jeremy Clarkson).

I believe it was extremely creative of me. Cool

Air Pods £10.

Let's you listen to Mandy shouting directions to you and if you have any Walt Whitman on mp3, you can listen to him as you wend your way along the road.

Jack Plugs/Sockets are kind of being phased out by mobile device manufacturers.

As mentioned by others in this thread, Google maps works fine.

Personally, my beef with phone apps is that they are not SatNav devices.

The satnavs I use have very useful navigation utilities that phone apps do not have.

It's a case of not knowing g what one is missing until one tries.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: Audio SatNav and best "A" class bike. Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I use the acronym for Motorcycle News as it is (was) regarded as one of the nemesis of BCF.

damn, i thought you was Jeremy Kyle Neutral

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the rare occasion I go somewhere when I don't know the way. I look at a map before hand and write the sequence of roads /big towns.

For precise local directions I'll use OSM viewer on my phone for the last mile. Back in they day I'd buy a town plan from news agents on arrival.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: Audio SatNav and best "A" class bike. Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
MCN wrote:

damn, i thought you was Jeremy Kyle Neutral

The paternity test says..... He's not the father. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The in between option is that Bluetooth directional thingy they have on some of the latest Royal Enfields.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The in between option is that Bluetooth directional thingy they have on some of the latest Royal Enfields.

Beeline

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto

But as others have said, you can pick up bluetooth earphones for under £20 (Amazon etc) and using Google maps, if you save the map area to your phone before you set off (when connected to your home wifi etc) then it won't use any data when out and about

PAYG has nothing to do with anything, i have PAYG which costs be £8 a month and still get 12gb of data (Smarty)

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Tony, get with the program. You're lobbing thousands at a bike collection, get a £150 Sena kit and a
quadlock mount, it's less than the cost of a mid range lid.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:58 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the rare occasion I use a GPS for navigation, I use OSMand for android which is an offline mapping system using open street map data.

I just use it on my tablet but it works on any android device with built in GPS (rather than the signal triangulation system). I think there's one of the samsung phones you can pick up cheaply that was notorious for the SIM bracket breaking rendering it useless as a mobile phone but it can still connect to wifi to download the map packages and has GPS so it knows where it is.

The annoying American voice gives you mostly accurate directions with no need to look at the screen. It tells you about speedbumps just as you hit them.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: Audio SatNav and best "A" class bike. Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi MCN,

Quote:

Cheers

Tony N

I find it really funny that you've bought three bikes recently without batting an eyelid but won't dare fork out £400 on a phone and £10 a month (on a rolling contract SIM to get data) to bring yourself into the modern era and use a phone satnav while listening to music on a set of bluetooth headphones Laughing

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1340288

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Come on Tony, get with the program. You're lobbing thousands at a bike collection, get a £150 Sena kit and a
quadlock mount, it's less than the cost of a mid range lid.

^This. Google giving me voice directions through my Sena is the dead easy option.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the day, i used to check a map then write the route out on a piece of paper and stick it on my tank.

nowadays i just follow my nose. i dont have anywhere particular to be and getting lost can be fun.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:49 - 28 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AJFCJaX8L1kagKj7d1cCGp7W17u0uZl9Q0Q-ROdV4kMwlDkfjSvavceQsDbslCtzazKk_9jZBoOK-jgY4_D7kikFgkfewLogkbUK2ANRGqMPXgJc9s40yrlSQ-gQUz0bKZJC8D996kl3URmzIqaEMLiI3H_b=w1160-h870-s-no
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1