Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need a new cover for my PCX 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kusuriuri
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:26 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Need a new cover for my PCX 125 Reply with quote

Im keeping my bike on a neighboors property but exposed to the elements and where i live its very windy and after a day of heavy wind with a cheap cover the damage that its showing on the picture appeared.

https://i.ibb.co/jZvK0vK/IMG-20230703-132434.jpg

I have been looking for a cover thats can whitstand wind/rain but doesnt damage the Paint even more.
I see alot of more expensive ones but they ONLY say "soft interior" but that doesnt help me much.

I have been looking at the Oxford Rainex/Stormex but since im putting the bike on a neighboors property it would help that the cover could fit inside the bike SEAT.

Im looking for recomendations and the Rainex i can ONLY find it on the L size and Im wondering if its to big for my PCX 125.

Thank you

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rainex cover on my bike and it's what I'd call "half tarp" with the back half being that silver "Mercury astronaut spacesuit" material (whereas the Stormex would be "full tarp") I doubt you'd manage to stuff the Rainex in the underseat storage. Even if you did there's a fair chance of tearing the silver material as you wrestle it in.

Aquatex is I believe the next one down, it's mostly the silver material. Lighter and would fit under the seat but expect it to tear up after one or two seasons.

Kusuriuri
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:05 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I have the Rainex cover on my bike and it's what I'd call "half tarp" with the back half being that silver "Mercury astronaut spacesuit" material (whereas the Stormex would be "full tarp") I doubt you'd manage to stuff the Rainex in the underseat storage. Even if you did there's a fair chance of tearing the silver material as you wrestle it in.

Aquatex is I believe the next one down, it's mostly the silver material. Lighter and would fit under the seat but expect it to tear up after one or two seasons.

Thank you for the response!

My problem Will never be if it lasts longer or not my problem its really with the eating of the Paint that the current One its doing.
The One that i have its full silver on the inside and its the One damaging the paint.

To protect the Paint what its the One? The silver or the "tarp" i prefer to buy the Stormex even being impossible to store on the SEAT then to buy another One that its going to keep on eating the Paint.

Inside my neighboors property the bike its in shade but the sea wind eats everything.
I also pondered in buying the Stormex but ONLY covering on rainy days since it doesnt receive direct sunlight and for the salty wind i can give it a quick wash every week...but dont know of what Im saying its just stupidity.

https://i.ibb.co/pwhrS1D/IMG-20230703-145228.jpg

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you put something directly on the tank/fairings to protect them if it's a massive concern? Plenty of options for vinyl wrap (or clear) which can be removed/replaced if it gets bad..

Kusuriuri
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:43 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Can't you put something directly on the tank/fairings to protect them if it's a massive concern? Plenty of options for vinyl wrap (or clear) which can be removed/replaced if it gets bad..

Im worried because the damage that you see it was about 7 hours of wind... imagine This During all winter.

Well vinyl its an option but where i live there is not really a place that does that and since its not a thing here just This Little back space its going to cost me the same as buying a high end cover.
I tought about stickers but dont know if its a good option.

Wondering if i can buy it and put it myself even if its going to look worse.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:02 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just not use a cover....

Kusuriuri
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:10 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You could just not use a cover....

If you read the first post you can see that i live near the sea and the bike its outside ...if i Did that ...it wouldnt last 2 years... everything gets destroyed by salty wind....its incredible how fast it destroys everything.

If i leave it without a cover for 2 days it Will be already covered by a "salt" dust that i need to keep removing atleast once a week.

I was looking for any kind of "sticker" that i can put it there even if its going to look like shit...all i want its protect the Paint but not covering its not an option

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:20 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to protect the paint, don't live by the sea....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:50 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some variety of clear protective tape would do the job.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/c/tapes/surface-protective/

Kusuriuri
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:52 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Some variety of clear protective tape would do the job.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/c/tapes/surface-protective/

Wondering if This Will remove the Paint when i peal it off.

Is it safe?

I went to the closest vynil wrapping store near me and they want 110€ for that piece ONLY lol

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would a respray cost?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not noticed the silver material having any impact on my bike. IIRC the inside of the Stormex has a thin layer of, I dunno, "fluff" I supposed you'd call it to protect the paint finish.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:04 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kusuriuri wrote:

Is it safe?

I wouldn't be surprised if the paint at the edges of where it's worn lifts should be tape be removed.

Putting touch up paint on the fairing before sticking the protective tape over where the cover is rubbing would help stop the paint from lifting.

The cover will still rub where the tape is.

Yes the tape is safe unless you do anything unsafe with it.

Kusuriuri wrote:
I went to the closest vynil wrapping store near me and they want 110€ for that piece ONLY lol

Might be available online for a more reasonable price.

You'll need to sort something to stop the cover rubbing the way it has been. Bungees securing the cover at the back so there's not so much loose material flapping around?

Kusuriuri
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:21 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Kusuriuri wrote:

Is it safe?

I wouldn't be surprised if the paint at the edges of where it's worn lifts should be tape be removed.

Putting touch up paint on the fairing before sticking the protective tape over where the cover is rubbing would help stop the paint from lifting.

The cover will still rub where the tape is.

Yes the tape is safe unless you do anything unsafe with it.

Kusuriuri wrote:

Might be available online for a more reasonable price.

You'll need to sort something to stop the cover rubbing the way it has been. Bungees securing the cover at the back so there's not so much loose material flapping around?

My cover its kinda big for my bike and i been looking at the aquatex from OXFORD that its on sale here for 20€. And for what i see it stays alot more snog compared to the One i have.
Since its 20€ Im going to buy it and see how it reacts because the back of that cover its alot flater compared to a generic One.
If it still doesnt work i need to Put bungee like you said to secure the cover on that spot.

Thank you all for the Help on trying to figure the best move.

Kusuriuri
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:22 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Not noticed the silver material having any impact on my bike. IIRC the inside of the Stormex has a thin layer of, I dunno, "fluff" I supposed you'd call it to protect the paint finish.

Stormex looks like the best option..the only snag its really the Weight and how a pain in the ass its going to BE to take it on and off every day.

Even so i Will eventually buy tue Stormex to protect it during high winter.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 05 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put on of these over that ghastly blemish and replace it with the other one when it wears out.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6I0AAOSw0zVkc29J/s-l500.jpg
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1