Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sym xs125 speed?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Halthelittleb...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:19 - 09 Jul 2023    Post subject: Sym xs125 speed? Reply with quote

I’ve bought a Sym 125 as a write-off - bent handlebars, smashed stuff…
I’ve fixed it all up and went for the MOT. On my run home I cracked it open to see how she did. New speedo in KMH but happily reached 140. This is about 85mph? Is this possible?
Yes, I am mad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 09 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent 2-stroke could manage it no problem but a Chinese copy of a 30+ year old Jap 4-stroke engine? 65mph is a more likely top speed. Either it's the wrong speedo or something's up with the wheel gear/sensor.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:46 - 09 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new speedo is saying that you're doing 140kph (which is 87mph) because of how wildly inaccurate it is.

You're actually doing about 60mph.

I recommend you get one that's more useful.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:58 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of the 4stroke copies will do between 90kmph and 95kmph true speed. Thats all shes got.
i.e...somewhere around 56mph. gives or takes. Indicated could be anything.

just want to add...if you did (or previos owner did) a 150cc kit, lt230s cam, "speed exhaust" etc....then perhaps 65mph.

and as anybody can figure out , all those mods just arent worth it. 85mph isnt going to happen
edit: just looked up pictures of your engine...its the yamaha clone by the looks of it, so the above mods dont apply, but the theory does.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1