Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Intercom - best budget

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 08 Jul 2023    Post subject: Intercom - best budget Reply with quote

I'll keep this simple. What's the current best budget intercom these days? Budget being under £100, but even better would be around £50.

My brother is working his way through his DAS next week and we'd like to get some intercoms so we can communicate.

Features that would be useful:
* Ideally it would be able to BT connect to a phone (sat nav directions) and the intercom function simultaneously.
* If it could connect as a group of 3 that would be great also, incase my wife comes with us.

Is this possible with this budget?

Cheers

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:00 - 08 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mates and I have Baofeng BF888s radios. They operate in the PMR446 band, but are technically illegal as they knock out 5W instead of the permitted 0.5W. There is, in reality, zero chance of getting busted though, so the only practical consequence of this is that you have better range. You can get them for £15/pair at Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005084114271.html

We've all got different headsets, mine is like this (about £20), with a PTT button I can velcro to the bars. As long as we are all on the same channel we can all converse.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004954443749.html

The radio is tiny and fits in my jacket pocket. The battery life on these little sets is excellent, transmitting is what hammers it so as long as you're not blathering away endlessly they will last all day. As far as the sat nav goes, if we're not all carrying then whoever is can shout directions over the radio. Basic, for sure, but it's certainly cheap and very effective.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 08 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant you just use your mobiles with earphones?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 09 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dabble with the cheap Chinese shit and... well it was cheap Chinese shit! Build quality and battery life are generally atrocious. There's probably something on aliexpress worth the money but good luck finding it.

AFAIK even a cheap Sena unit can link to an app and run an intercom system.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, was hoping to avoid pricy Sena/Cardo units!

I've always found ear phones to fall out of my ears while riding. Though I haven't used Bluetooth units, maybe they will remain in place better. Downside is that they rely on phone signal which isn't always great.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay, walkie-talkie and and in-ear earphones x 2 (or how many souls on a budget have something to say to some other soul on a budget.)

They work fine.

For folk on a budget.

There's even budgeter if you go all bluetooth.
Ebay again.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the instructors just use a radio with a microphone stuck in the helmet so maybe just go with that.
Or maybe just a bluetooth mic/ earphones like this and then call him on your phone or use something like discord? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134623086206?hash=item1f5829467e:g:pbYAAOSwcDJj4Nfw&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwO367oPye4XEdQe4BBX7FBTIlUXFUlnf2tJkVrDcxAdxFucJFBVwyz8sfrx6spYaCP5bSQZYUh6QLU%2Bxbq4qkMEIAO4rFnNRCLMIz5zCXZQZ6VLnHSzSadOddzidL9dOcDV4mZ8710c3f1sRzUkO6%2BBJhC1vHCROin6o2Do09w4rdDR3twgYdhyjXannnk1rYZQ%2BviOVPUSvROLZDndWz3CpVmZz0XOsiwKZPwfU9bMPTXnL3B0pWc%2F%2F6XAngUdqaA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-6LofWnYg

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:09 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

We tried this, but all too often when riding in the sticks you experience signal loss. Doesn't happen with the radios; if you have line of sight you will get a signal.

We did an unscientific test to see what sort of range we could expect... one of us calling from a motorway junction with others riding towards him listening. I heard him transmitting from 4 miles away. A straight motorway probably constitutes ideal conditions, so expect maybe a quarter of that in built-up areas.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:26 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Radio and Bluetooth is free to broadcast.

I will not be using my free mins to ride around doing bike training. Very Happy

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:31 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the radio idea if you exclude that it cannot do any phone functions, though unsure what you do with the headset wires when you're not using the radio. Which for me would be most of the time.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Radio and Bluetooth is free to broadcast.

I will not be using my free mins to ride around doing bike training. Very Happy

Even my bottom of the shit-heap sim only deal (about 8 quid a month) gives me unlimited calls, although if I do more than 100 mins a month I'd be surprised.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:50 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
I like the radio idea if you exclude that it cannot do any phone functions, though unsure what you do with the headset wires when you're not using the radio. Which for me would be most of the time.

With that headset of mine (link above) you put self-adhesive velcro blobs inside your lid in the appropriate places to hold the speaker and microphone in place. When you're not using the headset you just detach it. Likewise the PTT is held to the bars with velcro.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 15 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted a set of radios and a headset. Will see how it does. Should do the trick, cheers!

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:55 - 18 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried a cheap generic one, wasnt long before we upgraded to Interphone ones

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use autocom, I'm sure you can pick up some kit cheap on fleabay, I've still got mine as back up.

I now use Cardo, but have used ones like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334915436744?hash=item4dfa8400c8:g:SdMAAOSwGeRkka4f&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwHvmVWSREeyM%2FwLM%2Big6bPyg8W24E9I3kOboCh%2FdnGIUF2DAwhMSGPtEklcLOeT6lstQl2aUVkAiM%2FyxXnQ0A6tTPEUthWMMavuUbI0O7FIIngIDJ94cmxKmneSNHQRQoSUI%2FzGcdhfib%2B4W%2FIuzjDReR732FxGcss3liyTKx5o%2B351doG9XnFJSaCJbwPk4lJfk1HKWFPYCEuy6k9D%2F1IniiOqmg0Ou2e00oBbjFbd%2F86%2BaHr2Wnhy6H7kmbzkhjg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9q-3aitYg with some success.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 18 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd chuck in an offer for this.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/585982486928610/?ref=facebook_story_share

I can personally highly recommend this particular model.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1