Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suggestions Wanted for New Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:29 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Suggestions Wanted for New Project Reply with quote

Looking for interesting suggestions for a flat tracker style build...

My only criteria are:
> Kick Start
> Not too tall (I'm a short arse)
> Less than 4 cylinders
> Over 300cc
> Not too heavy

Hit me with some options, no matter how obscure or obvious, cheap or expensive!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most air cooled bikes old enough to have a kickstart and over 300cc will be classic/expensive and cost a fortune for the base bike to chop up?

If it needs to be cheap enough to chop, then your best bet is a big single dirt bike like a 500/600cc Japanese trail bike.

You won't find a nice looking twin or triple with a kickstart air cooled motor, and definitely not anything two stroke for a price that justifies a project.

Might be cheaper to see if you could engineer a kickstart conversion onto a modern engine like say an ER6 lump or similar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:23 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha XS400 or SRX600

Expensive: Morini 3 1/2 is pretty much a flat-tracker anyway. Or find a Dart and bastardise it.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 20:27 - 02 Aug 2019; edited 1 time in total

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:24 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Suggestions Wanted for New Project Reply with quote

My only criteria are:
> Kick Start. Why?

> Not too tall (I'm a short arse) If your building it you can change the height.

> Less than 4 cylinders, Again why? The most famous flat tracker had 4 cylinders (Kenny Roberts TZ750)

> Not too heavy, your building it, take the weight off.

As previous post said older bikes will cost more, if you want something cheaper get a CBR600, that will make an interesting flat tracker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR400/500.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:05 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Suggestions Wanted for New Project Reply with quote

venari wrote:
New Project

https://jalopnik.com/an-electric-kickstarter-is-what-the-world-deserves-1702105561
Gives you a massively wider range of bikes to buy (okay, you'll have to either DIY one or adapt one to your bike if you can still buy these).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite fond of a kicker... but only for sentimental value. I think I've only kicked over a bike twice in my (so far) short riding life Smile

You say "flat tracker" but (obviously being a bit thick here) what sort of terrain are you hoping to tackle and expected range? Just curious.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 02 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XJ600 Diversion makes a cracking flat-tracker. I know you specified less than 4 cylinders and a kick start, but its air-cooled engine is a piece of cake, it's so simple. It's been flat-trackered/scrambled for nigh on 10 years now. All the appearance-related mods and upgrades are known quantities - you can't put a foot wrong.
It would be much cooler making a flat-tracker from one of those than, say, a Yamaha thumper. I'm kind of partial to the XTs and SRs. Those bikes are very well-designed and they have a classic appearance, so if you think you might make a balls-up of a cafe racer/flat tracker, you might be less disappointed if you'd started with a Diversion. Just my opinion... It's your money, you can do as you please.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 Superdream.

Find an earlier Dream Twin motor and you get a kick start.

There's enough minters out there that you won't be diluting the gene pool and enough shitters that you will find something cheap enough to butcher to within an inch of it's life.

After you've bought your project, make sure you can grow that fuck off beard and fit in to the skinny jeans that mark you out as a true hipster.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:58 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRX 850, except no kick-start.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:22 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
TRX 850, except no kick-start.

Buy one of G's suggested electric kickers, all good!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:27 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

XBR500

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 03 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Suggestions Wanted for New Project Reply with quote

venari wrote:
Looking for interesting suggestions for a flat tracker style build...

My only criteria are:
> Kick Start
> Not too tall (I'm a short arse)
> Less than 4 cylinders
> Over 300cc
> Not too heavy

Hit me with some options, no matter how obscure or obvious, cheap or expensive!

DBD34, makes all others insignificant. Drooling

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:12 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Suggestions Wanted for New Project Reply with quote

Apparantly you can get versions of the XR750 with a kick starter, but they're silly expensive.

Perhaps though you'll get extra man-points using the original bump-start method? Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was being daft I'd say I want to see you build your flat tracker with a Honda CR480 or Suzuki RM500 engine, but its not going to happen due to unsuitability but more so cost.

I like the late model Air cooled UJM suggestion like the diversion 600, or a Kawasaki GT550 lump. In fact did the GT actually have a kick start as std?

There's your answer, as think about how much you could dress up an air cooled jap four with paint, polishing and chrome.

And kill and destroy a GT550 well no one is going to hunt you down with an axe, but make sure your GT550 doesn't have a Suzuki badge on the side first to be sure OK.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:21 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kawasaki GT550 is a heavy beast at 221kg wet, while the Yamaha is 187kg. Both bikes have a low seat height but the Yamaha is a ball-crusher, while the Kawasaki is as comfortable as bikes get. The Yamaha is OK at everything on the road and not really good at anytging, but the Kawasaki is actually good at a few things. The Yamaha is more reliable while the Kawasaki is a rolling project. The Kawasaki has a long and low feel, it batters down bumps and has more character when you use it in a fun way. The GT550 looks a bit lame without a square headlight but the Yamaha looks good with any headlight. Neither bike will run right without the airbox, but the Diversion's is hidden under a handsome tank. I think the Diversion is therefore the better platform for customisation right now. At least if you buy one you will likely get a functioning roadworthy bike and whip out your angle grinder while in your most carefully vintaged skinny jeans right away, whereas the GT550 will need a lot of things sorted. Just as an example I recently replaced/upgraded the exhaust with a very fresh one from a GPZ, and will probably shell out for a Dyna-S ignition at some point. Happy to do all this stuff because I bought it as a true project anyway, but I probably wouldn't be if I wanted to customise it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:14 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If I was being daft I'd say I want to see you build your flat tracker with a Honda CR480 or Suzuki RM500 engine, but its not going to happen due to unsuitability but more so cost.

I actually had a quick look at prices of my normal suggestion in this sort of situation - there's a nice late model already road registered KTM 250SX for £3k or so on ebay.
More power than the 500s you mention and should be a nice peaky delivery for road fun.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 04 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

w650 fits those criteria

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 364 days between these two posts...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:43 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BryanBrock wrote:
I'd totally recommend checking out "Cycling Eats" in Auckland. They have a cozy atmosphere, and their food is amazing especially their pasta dishes. It's a great spot to refuel after your Velo trip!

I got food poisoning from 'Cycling Eats' in Auckland.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
BryanBrock wrote:
I'd totally recommend checking out "Cycling Eats" in Auckland. They have a cozy atmosphere, and their food is amazing especially their pasta dishes. It's a great spot to refuel after your Velo trip!

I got food poisoning from 'Cycling Eats' in Auckland.

Wow, my mate got Herpes drinking form a mug in the same place..

Yes, that's Cycling Eats, Auckland, New Zealand. Herpes.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Cycling Eats, Auckland, New Zealand use cat and dog meat and are very transphobic

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:09 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is dont.

eBay is filled with cafe racer project bikes.
A lot of solid 80s/90s bikes have been ruined.

All it has done is made getting a cheap bike that much harder.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:11 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
400 Superdream.

Find an earlier Dream Twin motor and you get a kick start.

There's enough minters out there that you won't be diluting the gene pool and enough shitters that you will find something cheap enough to butcher to within an inch of it's life.

After you've bought your project, make sure you can grow that fuck off beard and fit in to the skinny jeans that mark you out as a true hipster.

i know this is slightly sarcastic but where are the cheap ones lol?
quick look on eBay and their are plenty of parts... not so many bikes.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1