Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Learning to drive after learning motorcycle first?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an ex ADI I found, as a general rule, that those who had ridden a bike properly for a number of years were better to teach than those who hadn't. The reading of the road was far better and didn't have to be taught as much. It does boil down to the person though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was on two wheels for a couple of years before I took up car driving; however, I'd been driving tractors and other vehicles off road for a very long time too. So had a lot more driving sense and was aware of the rules of the road. I can't remember how many driving lessons I had - but I remember being in direct competition with other kids in my village to have the least before test. I'm more than sure I had less than 13 lessons altogether...though two tests. Laughing

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my car licence back in 2018, had about 10 lessons and passed with a couple of minors.

I found it generally easy and I put a lot of it down to having plenty of road experience from being on a bike as my only transport since 2010.

My instructor pretty much confirmed this by telling me that I had enough road experience and awareness and all I needed was just to learn how a car works.

Once I'd practiced the manoeuvres a few times, it all came together quite quickly for me.

The hardest one was probably the parallel park, there's a lot to take in, but once I'd got my points of reference sorted out I was fine.

ಠ_ಠ

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done my car licence when I was 17 and didn't do my motorcycle, HGV class 2, HGV class 1 and PSV licences until my mid 30s. I would say that for me personally driving a car (and even an articulated lorry for that fact) was at first WAY more intuitive than riding a bike. The width of the larger vehicles didn't bother me nor did the nuances of driving/reversing an artic with a trailer it all kinda came naturally to me. Obviously I was already at an advantage learning to ride a bike as I already had the road sense etc. so only had to learn as MarJay said the balance, counter steer, weight shifting, road positioning, just controlling the bike in general there's farm more to it than with a car, which to me was all brand spanking new. Learning to ride a bike for me gave me SO much more things to think about actively/consciously all at the same some whereas doing the HGVs and PSV I never felt I was learning anything new 'technically' or technique-wise as I was already competent at reverse a trailer on a car and larger vehicles didn't bother me was just like taking another car test as all the mechanics/muscle memory and dexterity was already there just had to be up-scaled to a larger vehicle. Learning to ride a bike was COMPLETELY different and in my opinion the harder of all the licences.

I've always said you could probably train a monkey to operate a car.
It's the road sense, hate to use the phrase but hazard perception and empathy/watching out for other road users and anticipating their next move that's the hard bit. You've already got that under your belt so yeah I would say any road sense you have already built up from being a bike ride so far can ONLY be a good thing and make things easier for you compared to having had no prior road experience whatsoever. I can imagine doing it your way round the only real thing would be as someone has already mentioned remembering you've got two to three foot of metal to the left of you as you're passing parked vehicles etc. I imagine going from a bike to a car it would be easy to forget this sometimes and pass objects very closely without realising.

Just go for it! You've already one step ahead and have an advantage so I'm sure you'll find it far easier than most going straight to a car with no bike experience. My son done AM and A1 licences before getting his car licence, his instructor said he could tell the difference in his road awareness etc. and my son reported it made things easier for him.

Definitely spend the money and do it with an instructor though. It'll be worth the money to know you're getting all the correct pointers, not picking up any bad habits and they will know when you're ready, will give you the best chance of passing sooner and first time.

A lot of people saying about getting whinged at by car instructors for doing lifesaver checks but feel it's sensible to do them anyway. Isn't the car-version of this just checking the wing mirror before indicating or manoeuvring? Which is mandatory anyway. Shocked

Riejufixing wrote:
One very good reason to take lessons from an instructor is that they know what's expected, and can "teach to the test", e.g. the required manoeuvres, the likely test route, how to make exaggerated observations so that the instructor can see you are looking, that sort of thing. So, whatever, while it's all good experience, I'd take some lessons before the test, even if I took no others!

stinkwheel wrote:
I found they weren't seeing me looking in the mirrors so I set them off a bit so I had to move my head to see in them. They don't expect learners to be catching them in peripheral vision and on the motorbike test, you always back it up with a head check anyway.

This advice is fucking GOLDEN!!! Wish someone had have suggested this to me before I took my driving test as I picked up SO many minor points for lack of observation (not checking mirrors etc.) problem is I had already checked them with a quick glance of the eye. You don't have to actually physically move your head every time you want to look in a different mirror but it help the examiner know that you are doing it so best to make an exaggerated point of doing it. I think I could have easily failed for too many minors on not checking mirrors that WERE actually checked. I think one or two more would have done it Sad

yen_powell wrote:
I am not a natural car driver, I prefer 2 wheels as I find it easier to do without thinking and that I can see more around me than in a tin box. Nice in the pissing rain though.

Not sure I agree with this. For me personally I like mirrors, mirrors everywhere! That's why it doesn't bother me driving HGV the mirrors are fucking massive with the exception of the obvious blind spots you can see way more out of a car or HGV mirror than you can out of a bike mirror. I find monitoring all mirrors in my periphery easier than looking over your shoulder for example.

Droog wrote:
One plus of being a car driver and bike rider is that you know how 'the other side' perceives or more importantly does not perceive you! You understand how invisible you can seem to a lot of car drivers - also when you are in a car you spend that extra time looking out for bikes when negotiating junctions, swapping lanes etc.

This is pretty important. Being aware of other types of vehicles on the road, trying to put yourself in their shoes in sympathise with the varying challenges that different types of vehicles have on the road. Simply things like cars being extra aware of bikes that may appear in unexpected locations. That lorry that is waiting to pull out of a T-juntion ahead of you may want to 'borrow' some of your side of the road as he makes the turn so it's always appreciated when motorists easy off, hang back to let them take the road. Or say you're in lane 2 approaching a roundabout with a lorry in lane 1 just ahead or to the side of you, not everyone would think to do this but lorry drivers are always super pleased if you ease off and fall back behind them to let them borrow both lanes of the roundabout. Also going from a bike to a car you will already be aware of any bikes coming up behind you that may want to filter you'll nudge over where possible. Most car-only drivers wouldn't think to do this so when someone does it you know they're almost certainly a biker or have been in the past. Just little things like this make make the roads safer and more pleasant for everyone to use. If there's one good thing to come from COVID-19 I think/hope we'll all be looking out for each other a bit more.

hellkat wrote:
I do think it should be statutory that if you want to learn to drive a car, you should have at least six months on some form of motorcycle*.

Not sure I agree with this. I hear this from a lot of truckers "they should make all new drivers sit in one of these and see how hard it is and all the shit we have to put up with from car drivers before letting them loose in a car". It's not practical really :-/

Maybe they could introduce some sort of VR thing where you get to experience what it's like to sit in and drive each vehicle type, regardless what licence you are going for. Not a test or anything but like a compulsory session you have to sit through.

P.S. This is my sock account.
Kind regards
Teflon Mike
Thinking

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:20 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I do think it should be statutory that if you want to learn to drive a car, you should have at least six months on some form of motorcycle

I don't like this logic. Cars are much safer if you're going to make a mistake during your early driving/riding career it better be in a car rather than a bike. I passed my CBT with no experience, in a single day like pretty much everyone, and felt unprepared. It is far too easy imo. The other kid who passed with me looked like a road hazard to me.

Clanger wrote:
I'm more than sure I had less than 13 lessons altogether...though two tests. Laughing

13 lessons sounds decent, hope I can match that.

Thanks for the replies guys, good tips here.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:07 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BananaLover wrote:
Quote:

I do think it should be statutory that if you want to learn to drive a car, you should have at least six months on some form of motorcycle

I don't like this logic. Cars are much safer if you're going to make a mistake during your early driving/riding career it better be in a car rather than a bike. I passed my CBT with no experience, in a single day like pretty much everyone, and felt unprepared. It is far too easy imo. The other kid who passed with me looked like a road hazard to me.

Cars are much safer for the occupants, not other pedestrians or motorcyclists (or even other car drivers for that matter). Bikes are much safer for everyone else but the occupant! I understand helkat's logic of wanting to get all new drivers at least some insight as to what it's like to be a rider and the unique challenges they face on the road (same again for HGV and PSV). If everyone understood what it was like to ride/drive every vehicle type I think the roads would be a less hostile envorinment.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 22 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on each person you ask. Passed my motorcycle test at 19, took my car test at 25 and passed with 1 minor (5 day intensive). Riding beforehand gave me all the road craft needed. The only thing I had to remember to do for the car test and sticks in my memory was to check the left mirror before exiting a roundabout.
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Once I'd got round the mechanics of it, the main issues I had were doing things that would be considered too "advanced" for a learner driver like short-shifting on loose surfaces and taking motorcycle lines through corners for visability.

Got constantly whinged at for doing lifesavers too, we had "words" about that.

I disagree with your instructor about lifesavers. What's wrong with doing lifesavers in the car?

Also, what's wrong with choosing your gear to mitigate a loose road surface?

I believe there's no such thing as a "motorcycle line" through a corner. The police driving and riding manuals – Roadcraft and Motorcycle Roadcraft – have similar cornering lines for cars and bike.

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:51 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
As an ex ADI I found, as a general rule, that those who had ridden a bike properly for a number of years were better to teach than those who hadn't. The reading of the road was far better and didn't have to be taught as much. It does boil down to the person though.

Agree 100%.

I spent twenty years as an ADI and if I got a new pupil with a bike licence I knew I was in for an easy time (And some decent conversation too). You don't have to explain to a biker how a clutch works and how it has to be coordinated with the gear shifts, they already know. Their degree of vehicle sympathy is much higher than the average motorist, because the penalty for being too heavy with the controls is at best sore knees and elbows.

The other thing with bikers is that they see and act on road signs, if a bend is coming up they need to know about it because unlike car drivers they can't get away with scrubbing more than the absolute minimum of speed off once they've committed to the turn.

I already had a bike licence before taking the car test, and at the time the examiners did not ask to see your licence till the end of the test. When the guy looked at mine he said, "A motorcyclist, I thought so".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think id rather starting from green horn ground zero learn to ride a bike before driving a car these days.

I know theres a difference between learning to drive/ride and being able to [pass a test and knowing the rules of the road etc, and really being able to drive or ride.

I've known far more people who could ride a bike pretty well or confidently and with good skill, than I've known car drivers. I've probably in 40years only known a hand full of people who could really drive a car well and make it look so easy and smooth etc.

I think the point being is that car driving doesn't promote enthusiasm and desire to do it really well. You jump in and a short while later you get out in a different place. There's not many people who are naturally good drivers or who aren't lazy and trying to do a dozen other things while driving.

Having done my IAM training, and had 25years of experience in cars and commercial vehicles is one thing, but I'd never class myself as a really good driver like the few people I can think of that could really drive well.

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:20 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my car test first (after a couple of attempts...the shame) and then later passed my bike test first attempt despite doing a very dangerous swoosh through amber traffic lights and going the opposite way to the way the instructor told me to go. The bike testers are a bit more chilled!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Got constantly whinged at for doing lifesavers too, we had "words" about that.

What was the problem there then? I would've thought instructors would be pleased that a learner was keen to get as much obs in as possible. Imo far too many car / van / lorry etc. drivers don't use their full sight lines to assess whether they can move their vehicles where they want to.

I get that there might be good reason to prioritise forward vision over rear and peripheral before overtaking but in general, I would've thought most motorcyclists bring better discipline with them.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 62 days between these two posts...

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:26 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our roads would be a lot safer for bikes if every car driver had to do a CBT as part of thier car learning.

My youngest lad has / is learning to drive a car now. He’s had 10/12 lessons from an instructor and the rest just practice in our cars. He’s perfectly safe and I can’t see him failing but he’s too damn lazy to get off his backside and book the test. To be fair there is a massive waiting list in our area.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:47 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard bus drivers and lorry drivers say the same thing about the vehicles they drive.

"They should make 17 year olds sit behind the wheel of one of these things so they understand how difficult it is for us".

It's a nice idea, but it's never going to happen.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:37 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pass rate for mod2 nationally is currently over 70%, for car test it is less than 50%.

As far as physically operating the machine, I find bikes much easier and more intuitive than cars, I also have a piriformis issue (pain in hip/arse cheek) that doesn't hurt on the bikes, but does driving.

Of course the trade off is cars are a lot harder to tip over, waterproof and you have hugely more protection from zombie road users.

Biking definitely makes mea safer driver as you have to be so much more aware of what's going on around you.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 16:11 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullers1845 wrote:
As far as physically operating the machine, I find bikes much easier and more intuitive than cars, I also have a piriformis issue (pain in hip/arse cheek) that doesn't hurt on the bikes, but does driving.

Biking definitely makes mea safer driver as you have to be so much more aware of what's going on around you.

For me, when I was learning anyway (doesn't apply now I'm an intermediate rider) I found motorcycles less intuitive than any 4-wheeled alternative. Probably because I had already been driving professionally for 15 years (50k to 120k miles per year) in the taxis before doing HGV and PSV. I found these incredibly intuitive as it's effectively the same siht just upscaled. Motorcycles for me was a whole new concept. Things like road positioning and balance had never been a consideration to me before.

I do agree that being a motorcyclist will make most people better car drivers. The same probably applies if you've got HGV or PSV (entering smug mode territory here). One might even argue being a cyclist would also make you a better road user.

I think the key is empathy. It's easier to understand and appreciate the different challenges that the different types of road users face if you've been in their shoes.
JordinOdom This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
JordinOdom This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:29 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fucking spam, Batman!

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 16:47 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would put myself at risk of getting a ribbing if I asked if this could potentially be a bot? And not a very good one?

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:25 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started riding at 16 and passed my test a few weeks after my 17th birthday, but I didn’t pass my car test until I was 39.

I’d had a few lessons in my early 20’s, but found driving really boring, so lost interest. It was the offer of a new Mondeo Titanium X company car which incentivised me to get stuck in and pass my test in 2008. After 21 lessons I passed first time Thumbs Up

I would class myself as a natural bike rider, but it took me a few years to feel at home in a car despite driving 20-30k miles per year.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 04 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:
It was the offer of a new Mondeo Titanium X company car which incentivised me to get stuck in and pass my test in 2008.

Not merely the base Titanium eh? I can see the draw..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2