Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Licensing Legalities

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ryan Kerry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:37 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Licensing Legalities Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently had my A2 motorcycle license revoked, due to an accumulation of 3 points attained on my provisional and a further 3 on my A2 license. From my little knowledge of recent legalities, I understand if someone with both a car and motorcycle license gets either revoked, the other is also taken. I do not currently have a car license. I understand to regain my A2 I have to retake both theory and practical tests again.

My first question is, do I have to re-do the entire A2 course again, or can I just apply for mod 1 and mod 2 again. Or if I was to acquire a car license would that also reinstate my A2 license.

Any Ideas?

Many Thanks

Ryan

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:54 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding it's that specific category that you lose and that you have to reapply for.

It'snot the whole retake your test think if you are properly banned for dangerous driving and the like where you pass one test and all your categoies are restored.

You have to be a special sort of person to take risks when you are on 3 points and if you get to 6 you have to retake your test....

Ryan Kerry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:05 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying you think I will have to re-do the full A2 license again?

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:06 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt look hopeful

"Points on your provisional licence

Any penalty points on your provisional licence that have not expired will be carried over to your full licence when you pass your test. However, your licence will be cancelled if you get any further penalty points that take you up to a total of 6 or more within 2 years of passing your driving test.
If your licence is cancelled within 2 years"
--------------------------------------------
We are at this point...so to fix it...

"You’ll have to apply and pay for a new provisional licence and pass both theory and practical parts of the driving or riding test again to get a full licence."

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers

considering you need to show a cbt and theory for mod1+2....and your cbt has probably expired (only valid for 2 years from issue), it seems like you have to start at step1 again, inc. getting a provisional.

Frankly, I'd argue this on the Katie Price basis or something....she seems to have had hers taken away 10 times in the last 3 years and Ive never heard of her taking a driving test, but we are little people.

I could also be totally wrong...this hasnt happened to me, I'm just reading up about it now..

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:15 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, bend over and brace yourself darling, HM Courts & Tribunals are going in dry.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:17 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now enlightened.

license less than 2 years: revoked/cancelled....start at step 1 again, but you can start at step 1 at anytime

license more than 2 years: ban of x time...cant do shit till x time has expired...once x time has expired, you reapply for your license to be reinstated. "some" conditions may apply depending on severity of offence.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:18 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your licence has been revoked, it's back to the point as if you never had one. It's effectively been torn up and thrown in the bin and you have to start again. So apply for a provisional licence, do CBT, take parts 1 and 2 of the test.

If you had multiple categories, I believe you get them all back if you get one of them back.

I'm not sure if you'd get bikes back if you did a car test when you didn't have car entitlement before.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:20 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
I am now enlightened.

license less than 2 years: revoked/cancelled....start at step 1 again, but you can start at step 1 at anytime

license more than 2 years: ban of x time...cant do shit till x time has expired...once x time has expired, you reapply for your license to be reinstated. "some" conditions may apply depending on severity of offence.

Depends on the ban length whether you have to reapply for your license or not. That's really just having to pay for a physical copy to be sent for you. Extended test bollocks is wholly different.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:22 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If you had multiple categories, I believe you get them all back if you get one of them back.

Pretty sure that this is the 'extended driving test' thing after a ban rather than the 6 points in 2 years revocation.

Ryan Kerry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:23 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If your licence has been revoked, it's back to the point as if you never had one. It's effectively been torn up and thrown in the bin and you have to start again. So apply for a provisional licence, do CBT, take parts 1 and 2 of the test.

I'm not sure if you'd get bikes back if you did a car test when you didn't have car entitlement before.

AHH I see, looks like a set of heelys will have to do for the foreseeable future.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:43 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be lucky if you are allowed a space hopper.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:04 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Can probably get a space hopper but the insurance premiums will be sky-high.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

see what your biking mates say - sometimes it's good to bounce ideas off each other

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a pit bike and a 'Joker Smile' face mask.. You don't need a licence for them, apparently Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Anyone else noticed you need a license to use a ride-on or self-powered lawn mower? (Category K on license).

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If your licence has been revoked, it's back to the point as if you never had one. It's effectively been torn up and thrown in the bin and you have to start again.

Almost but not quite.You can only re-take a test that you have previously passed, not take a new category snd gain the license back.

So the OP needs to re-take his bike test and then later if he wants a car license take that test separately.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting and slightly puzzling
I never knew you had to be particularly careful not get/accrue points for
2 years after passing a test.

My perma CBT Deliveroo guy tells me he has 9 points on his provisional
so if he passed his big bike test would the 9 points mean an insta ban?

IIRC he's been on a provisional for around 10 years now and doing delivery since 2016 ish.

He's mentioned getting on of those chinese electra bikes in case of a ban

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
This is interesting and slightly puzzling
I never knew you had to be particularly careful not get/accrue points for
2 years after passing a test.

My perma CBT Deliveroo guy tells me he has 9 points on his provisional
so if he passed his big bike test would the 9 points mean an insta ban?

IIRC he's been on a provisional for around 10 years now and doing delivery since 2016 ish.

He's mentioned getting on of those chinese electra bikes in case of a ban

No, it's an odd setup but basically if you get any points in the 2 years after passing your FIRST test, and those points cause you to exceed a total of 6 , you get revoked. So 9 points man would have to mot get any points at all because he's already over 6 to begin with.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
Ta

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:06 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be a bit special to take any chances in those two years, especially when you have 3 points already.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1