Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Concerns: Widening Yamaha Tricity/Niken for car license?(EU)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pieter88
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:19 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Concerns: Widening Yamaha Tricity/Niken for car license?(EU) Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I had a specific question that might not be the most favorable amongst bike riders but I still think this forum has the best chance to get a specific answer and maybe some other usefull information.

Reason for this question has everything to do with EU regulations;
EU regulations define that a three wheeled motorcycle with a thread width of 460 mm or more is in fact considered a three wheeled motorverhicle. This means that due to a loop in legislation you can ride these vehicles on a car license as long as your car license is from before 2013. The Piaggio Mp3 is a good example of such a vehicle.

And is has something to do you with Yamaha’s engineering;
Last few years Yamaha came with two different three wheeled motrocycles, a very economic and light motorscooter which is the Yamaha Tricity 125/155 and more of a real motorcycle which is the Yamaha Niken. Now Yamaha choose to develop both vehicles from a technical standpoint rather then EU legislation. Which means both these vehicles have a thread width that is smaller then the 460 mm needed to drive this with a car license.

Actually the thread width of the Tricity is 385 mm, 75 mm too small and the Niken is 410 mm, which is 50 mm too small

Now the question is, can you technically widen the track width?
Because I now car tuners do actually lower and widen their cars sometimes, mostly they use spacers. I even saw some forum where Quad drivers use spacers to widen the track width of their Quads. However regarding motorcycles there is very little information. I find some local legislation limiting the maximum amount you can widen your car, but it all seems to differ per country and targeted at cars. There is very little to no information to be found about widening the track width of a Tricycle like the Piaggio MP3/Tricity or Niken. So there are two subquestions;

1) Can you legally widen the track width of your tricycle, if so how much is the maximum? I cannot find any information about this.

2) Can you technically widen the track width of your tricycle, then there are two option; use spacers – but I am pretty sure these aren’t available and should be custom made. Or can you use custom rims that have a more deep mounting system that expands outside of the tyres. Again the wheel size and mounting system on these tricycles is very specific so I am doubting there will be any products on the shelve suitalbe (but You never now)

Also there is ofcourse the matter of safety and riding comfort. Will widening the track with a few centimers have any huge impact on drivability?

So can someone say something usefull about this?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dicking with the geometry of a Niken?! No thanks Shocked Don't care know about the scooter though Smile

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Niken, I doubt that would be possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3x3rEcfAgk

I don't know if it would be safe to add spacers to the front wheels of a Tricity.

How about doing it the old-school way instead, and converting a motorcycle to a tricycle with a long rear axle between the 2 rear tyres?

Pieter88
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:25 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
With a Niken, I doubt that would be possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3x3rEcfAgk

I don't know if it would be safe to add spacers to the front wheels of a Tricity.

How about doing it the old-school way instead, and converting a motorcycle to a tricycle with a long rear axle between the 2 rear tyres?

Thanks for your reponse, There is actually a company named Ozimoto that makes these Trike conversion kits for the Tricity. (Pic down below). however the problem is, is that the Tricity is leaning like the Niken. So giving it a static back axle makes it very dangerous to ride, much like a quad. Also it makes it more impratical since it will be much wider.
https://tweakers.net/ext/f/RHxsCBbLhEMAVLnAVEv5SaQJ/full.jpg
My best bet would be, since I doubt spacers would exist is to find Rims that have suitable size and have mounting points that are up to 4 cm more deep. This way the tires will be 4 cm further from the middle of the bike, which is the distance that is measured. This way you would avoid adding any unnessary parts to the wheels. But I am curious whether such rims exist.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:10 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just buy a can-am and be done with it.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

This, or get a bike license.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming your thinking better stability?
Can the wheels be spaced wider?
Yes if money's no object we can start tomorrow

Cost benefit though.
Let's say someone made you a kit to push the Tricity wheels out
37.5mm each to the overall legal 460mm limit
It would cost plenty and what would the benefit be?
75mm/3" wider overall
more stable? dunno, maybe, perhaps, slightly mebbe

You would lose any warranty
Yamaha won't touch it, if it was good idea why didn't they do it?
Insurance too quite likely
MOT guy may tell you to sod off
DVSA may burn you as a witch

Pieter88
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:31 - 12 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I quite like a can-am but main problem is that it's too big to fit into my shed and the fuel consumption is bad compared to Tricity.

WD Forte wrote:

Cost benefit though.
Let's say someone made you a kit to push the Tricity wheels out
37.5mm each to the overall legal 460mm limit
It would cost plenty and what would the benefit be?
75mm/3" wider overall
more stable? dunno, maybe, perhaps, slightly mebbe

You would lose any warranty
Yamaha won't touch it, if it was good idea why didn't they do it?
Insurance too quite likely
MOT guy may tell you to sod off
DVSA may burn you as a witch

The benefit would be that I would not need to get my A driver license, which saves me at least 1000 euro including all required exams. Side benefit is that it would be easier to sell in the future.

The reason Yamaha didn't do this is because they wanted to make a compact light steering bike. And with a wider track it would be less compact and probably a little heavier in the steering. However there should be no weighty technical reason why a slightly wider track wouldn't be possible.

As for insurance/MOT/etc. I am not sure about this. As said for cars and quads widening the track is not unusal in the tuning world and as far as I know it's not rejection point or even a checking point at periodic examinations. I don't think they regularly measure the track distance between two wheels because normally this is not something that is changing.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:12 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieter88 wrote:
I quite like a can-am but main problem is that it's too big to fit into my shed and the fuel consumption is bad compared to Tricity.

If fuel coinsump-tion if a big issue; get a push-bike.. dont drive to the corner shop, walk... mph is an expression of power, power used, want more mpg, use less throttle.... or walk.
Shed too small? Get a bigger shed! And or move! Maybe closet to where you work so you can walk!
Pieter88 wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

Cost benefit though.

And we get to the nub.. you want to get to work, but you dont want to have to pay for it!
Scooter on CBT suggests cheap miles... but L-Plates, and falls over...
3-wheels, seem to offer a way to get the lower (presumed) cost of a motorbike.... the (presumed) stability of a car AND not have to pay for effall of it!!!

GET A CHUFFNG LICENCE you cheap skate!

Costs under £150 to take tests to get ANY full motorcycle licence, you do not 'Have' to cough up for an expensive DAS course..... but....

Presumneably you have a car licence..... how much dod you have to spend on lessons to get that?

WHY do you think that its a good idea NOT to have lesons how to ride a motorbike?

Would you be suggesting to some-one that wanted to say, learn how to fly a plane, or to climb a mountan... "Nah, lessons are a waste of money! Just get hang-cgider or a bit of string and 'tech yourself'... you can only break your neck once...."

Yeah... get a chuffing gfrip, it MAY be legal, dont mean its a good idea.....

You likely took lessons to get a car licence. You wopuld have to take lessons to get a pilots licence, you;'d take lessons to l;earn rock climbing or modern dance WHY do you NOT think it a good idea to take lessons to ride a motorbike?!?!?!?!??

Think on that... then ponder your penny pinching pontifications, as you try and find a loop-hole in the laws to give you what you want... which is a WAY TO WORK WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT!

Get a motorbike licence then you can ride a motorbike, or an three wheeler, no L-Plates and have proved to some-one who should no, that you aren't a complete accident looking for a place to happen....

A-N-D it'll likely be a LOT quicker and cheaper than trying to DEVALUE a road vehicle with ill considered modifications changing the vehicle type damanding re-registration and costs that make DAS look 'cheap'

You are clearly not an engineer, you are looking for off the shelf 'kits' to your penny pinching plan... STOP IT, you are clearly neither qualified enough nor clued up enough to be faffing with the spanners, let alone let loose on the roads on a motorcycle!

GO GET TRAINED!!!

Shall I say it again?!

GO GET TRAINED!!!

This is NOT a solution to effall, lest of all a long and healthy transport strategy!

STOP TRYING TO PINCH PENNIES.. you may have got a car licence, but, that means you are about as qualified to ride a motorbike as you are a Jumbo Jet.... stop looking for short-cuts, bite the bullet and get the qualification you need or want!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pieter88
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:29 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

If fuel coinsump-tion if a big issue; get a push-bike.. dont drive to the corner shop, walk... mph is an expression of power, power used, want more mpg, use less throttle.... or walk.
Shed too small? Get a bigger shed! And or move! Maybe closet to where you work so you can walk!

OR.. instead of trying to cycle on a 50 mph road or moving to another house I could maybe try to buy a fuel efficient motorscooter Rolling Eyes

Regarding your further reply, I appreciate your concern for me going to ride on a bike with pressumable not enough lessons or experience. However I do not appreciate your comment being filled with prejudices and assumptions.

For example I do not live in the UK and where I live you definitly cannot get a full motorcycle license for 150 pounds. It will cost me at least 1000 euro as stated in an earlier post. Also you seem to assume that I do not have any idea of riding a bike or participating in traffic and you also seem to now everything about my technical and engineer skills. I think your comment is quite ignorant. Maybe instead of telling me to get trained you should get yourself trained or restrained in the way you place your comments.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a proper bike licence and the required training will make you a better rider and offers scope to buy other motorcycles.. I see the loop-hole you're aiming for but really, this is false economy at quite a few levels., and this advice comes from someone who's tighter than the proverbial 'gnat's..'

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:49 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieter88 wrote:
OR.. instead of trying to cycle on a 50 mph road or moving to another house I could maybe try to buy a fuel efficient motorscooter Rolling Eyes

Or you could get trained and get a licence for said motor-scooter... same as if you wanted to fly a plane, or drive a truck, or practice medicine!!!

Pieter88 wrote:
Regarding your further reply, I appreciate your concern for me going to ride on a bike with pressumable not enough lessons or experience. However I do not appreciate your comment being filled with prejudices and assumptions.

I don't really care where you live TBH... though it is heartening that you don't live close enough to me to do me any damage when you CRASH the cheaply modded bike you have had no lessons to ride and no qualifications to be riding.....

Back up... you are looking for a way to a) dodge taking a motorbike test, b) not spend the money to be taught to ride a motorbike...

Are these 'Assumptions' or what you have told us?

Yes, I am bigoted... I have little patience for folk that CBA to learn to ride a standard motorbike, and even less for folk that have this egocentric opinion of the world that the rules should be written expressly to give them exactly what they want, no effort of expense required....

I stand by my comment... GO GET A FUGGING BIKE LICENCE!!!

Put some effort into getting what you want, rather than probably more time and effort and a heck of a lot of risk, mostly to other people, to try save doing anything that 'may' be a bit difficult...

There are reasons we have licences for motorbikes, and different licences for cars, and different ones for aeroplanes etc etc etc... STOP trying to be lazy and penny pinching... you likely wont save either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pieter88
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:11 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

I don't really care where you live TBH... though it is heartening that you don't live close enough to me to do me any damage when you CRASH the cheaply modded bike you have had no lessons to ride and no qualifications to be riding.....

Back up... you are looking for a way to a) dodge taking a motorbike test, b) not spend the money to be taught to ride a motorbike...

Are these 'Assumptions' or what you have told us?

Yes, I am bigoted... I have little patience for folk that CBA to learn to ride a standard motorbike, and even less for folk that have this egocentric opinion of the world that the rules should be written expressly to give them exactly what they want, no effort of expense required....

I stand by my comment... GO GET A FUGGING BIKE LICENCE!!!

Put some effort into getting what you want, rather than probably more time and effort and a heck of a lot of risk, mostly to other people, to try save doing anything that 'may' be a bit difficult...

There are reasons we have licences for motorbikes, and different licences for cars, and different ones for aeroplanes etc etc etc... STOP trying to be lazy and penny pinching... you likely wont save either.

If you don't bother to care where I live you shouldn't make stupid, ignorant assumptions about how much my driver license will cost me or which licenses I need. Also you again assume that I have no experience in motorcycles and assume I have had no lessons or any qualifiication.

Regarding 'dodging the motorbike test', do I need to point out that there are a LOT of European countries where you can drive ANY 125 cc motor(scooter) on a car license? It's clear that you do not agree with this kind of legislation or any loop holes there might be regarding three wheeled scooters. But if you would like people to listen you should REALLY consider a more friendly method of communicating. I doubt many people will take this kind of ignorant rants very seriously.

Now, I made this topic to ask a technical question in a technical part of the forum called the workshop. So I would prefer it we could keep this discussion about the technical and the mechanical and not about the ethical and the educational. So maybe you can take your rants elsewhere or otherwise maybe a moderator can close this topic since it already seems that people find it quite difficult to respond in a appropiate and relevant manner to my topic start question.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's woman near me rides a Tricity cos she has bad legs and
I can see how it offers her some cheap-ish transport.
If disability isn't the issue I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole
nor a Niken.
I can appreciate the nifty engineering but they're overly complex
and lack the flexibiltiy of a 2 wheeler.
that's why they're a niche scooter.

When out of warranty and all the linkage starts to wear, they'll be
an expensive bitch to maintain and if you damage that front end
it could cost a fortune to put right.
Yamaha spares are pretty expensive, I can buy an axle set of
disc pads for my car cheaper then a set for a mates YBR125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:41 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieter88 wrote:
The benefit would be that I would not need to get my A driver license, which saves me at least 1000 euro including all required exams.

And I'll ask again, are these MY assumptions?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:50 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to hazard a guess that you hail from somewhere in the region of the Nederland, I'm not sure on EU regs but you have had some response regarding the UK stance.

Can you find out through Google, or whatever search engine you use, what your country's equivalent of the DVSA has in place for approving vehicle alterations - I'm going to assume that Holland will be fairly strict whereas Moldova probably doesn't care so long as you can get three sheep, a wife and six kids in it without the wheels falling off?
Same again for insurance issues, do Moldovans even have insurance?

Once we have an idea of the kind of governmental safety regime in your Euro country we can let you know whether three washers and a rubber band will pass muster or whether you'll need an engineer with a degree and ten years design experience!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:09 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you modify either of these it won't be easier to sell and will cost more to do than your license.

Do your test, buy a hornet or something and be happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow bits not mentioned so far
1 to be K on a car licence it also has to have a FOOT operated rear brake
2 It will need to be re register as a different class I expect this to be an expensive bureaucratic mess Insurance would be fun as well

If you want a car licence three wheeler get one not one that need a bike licence and try to modify
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
1 to be K on a car licence it also has to have a FOOT operated rear brake
2 It will need to be re register as a different class I expect this to be an expensive bureaucratic mess Insurance would be fun as well

I was thinking about the licencing/registration too.

However, that aside, I will drop these nice pics in for discussion. The idea should be clear enough. Tricity/Niken. Niken/Tricity. I expect there would be "interesting considerations". Don't strain yourself thinking or say fork off Smile

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
I'm going to hazard a guess that you hail from somewhere in the region of the Nederland,

Obviously! His English is far too good for this forum...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Pieter. I think you now realise you're not going to get the answer you hoped for on this forum. It is frequented by a bunch of crass, cynical, opinionated middle-aged bastards (mostly).

Just yesterday they lambasted my idea to build some custom exhausts and as a result I am a mournful, pitiful shell of a man. Crying or Very sad

In fact though they do have your best interests at heart and you could do worse than heed this advice..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:47 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help us out, what country are you in?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
@ Pieter. I think you now realise you're not going to get the answer you hoped for on this forum. It is frequented by a bunch of crass, cynical, opinionated middle-aged bastards (mostly).

Just yesterday they lambasted my idea to build some custom exhausts and as a result I am a mournful, pitiful shell of a man. Crying or Very sad

In fact though they do have your best interests at heart and you could do worse than heed this advice..

Erm.. don't forget us transvestites too.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 13 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
However, that aside, I will drop these nice pics in for discussion. The idea should be clear enough. Tricity/Niken. Niken/Tricity. I expect there would be "interesting considerations". Don't strain yourself thinking or say fork off Smile

What, so no-one's pooh-poohed the idea yet?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 192 days between these two posts...

Froggyboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:38 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a really obvious modification here that might be possible

Switch the forks and wheels around so that the left ‘inside the forks wheel’ is now the ‘outside the forks right wheel’

Cables might need some trickery

Actually to be fair, although this is an up to date post, I did have this idea pre 2020, stability I can’t vouch for, haven’t tried it, if it worked I would maybe give it a go, no bike licence but I do have a 1998 car licence.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1