Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Peugeot v-clic derestriction, still 30mph top!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Halthelittleb...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:32 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Peugeot v-clic derestriction, still 30mph top! Reply with quote

Hi folks.
I have a 2013 age Peugeot V-Clic 4 stroke 50cc.
My max speed was 30. Fair enough, that’s the legal limit for this bike but I just want a bit more to feel safer.
So…. I adjusted the variator weights, removed the restrictions, full service, ‘race’ CDii, posh spark plug.
It still tops out at 30 on a warm day, 28 or less on a cold day.
What can I do?
Could stronger clutch springs help?
I’m at a loss!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:38 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of ''polishing a turd"?

Short of more piston displacement, wholly new intake and exhaust and maybe losing weight yourself you won't get any more speed out of it.

But then it won't be a moped so you won't be insured, taxed or licensed to ride it.

(As far as the filth are concerned the third party insurance will still be valid because your insurer cannot cancel your insurance retrospectively but they are likely to ring them up on the spot and tell them about your indiscretion, your insurance will be cancelled from that point onwards and now the filth have grounds, along with you not having a license for said vehicle, to seize your bike. Good luck on getting insured again after that as well.)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get much more out of a cheap 50cc 4-stroke engine (a 2-stroke would be a different matter.) In my experience to see any real gains you'd have to do a cheeky barrel swap to 66/80cc. The engine's probably based off a 125 anyway so drivetrain can easily handle a little extra power.

Unfortunately you've then radically altered the performance of the thing so insurance companies and the DVLA would be very interested in the details.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: Peugeot v-clic derestriction, still 30mph top! Reply with quote

Halthelittlebiker wrote:
Hi folks.
My max speed was 30. Fair enough, that’s the legal limit for this bike but I just want a bit more to feel safer.
So…. I adjusted the variator weights, removed the restrictions, full service, ‘race’ CDii, posh spark plug.
What can I do?
I’m at a loss!

I bet you my favourite screwdriver you have a mate who says his'll do 50 - I'd ask him.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: Peugeot v-clic derestriction, still 30mph top! Reply with quote

Halthelittlebiker wrote:

What can I do?

One of the few times the yanks have it right when they say "there's no replacement for displacement" is when you're talking capacities that in some countries are the equivalent of a shot glass.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a 125 burn the 50

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:24 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as they've all said, don't waste (any more of) your time and money. You have probably already made it slower - albeit slightly faster accelerating - by fannying about with the rollers. You also display a fundamental lack of understanding of where power comes from... hint; it's *not* a racing clutch spring, or any other Polini bolt-on snake oil bollox.

Fitting an 80cc kit would be the way to go, but then you will have to fanny about with fuelling and exhausts, which I strongly suspect (no offence) is beyond the level of your ability. Plus if you get caught (unlikely, I grant you) you're in deep shit.

It's not what you want to hear, I know, but sell it as soon as you possibly can and buy a 125... it's really not worth the hassle.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you didn't remove the variator restriction. I'm assuming there is one as the gearing hasn't changed if it's doing the same top speed as before.

Halthelittleb...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:52 - 03 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Sounds like you didn't remove the variator restriction. I'm assuming there is one as the gearing hasn't changed if it's doing the same top speed as before.

Yes, I removed the vario travel limiting fat washer.
If I hold the brake on gently and rev up the top speed is better hence I thought it might be a clutch issue with the heat generated making something expand, creating more friction…
I’ve bought a write-off 125 now but that is burning oil and thrumming rough!
Shoe string motor biking isn’t for everyone!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 03 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a chunky monkey?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 04 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: Peugeot v-clic derestriction, still 30mph top! Reply with quote

Halthelittlebiker wrote:
Hi folks.
What can I do?
I’m at a loss!

Your asthmatic 50cc is only ever going to be an asthmatic 50cc. If you truly want better acceleration and top speed, the only thing you can do is go on a diet and lose weight.

I am not even joking. That is literally the best thing you can do for better performance.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 04 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I would agree with this. The only moped I ever bothered playing with was my daughters Gilera DNA and removing the variator restrictor and doing nothing else increased the top speed by a whopping 5+ mph.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 04 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halthelittlebiker wrote:
sickpup wrote:

Yes, I removed the vario travel limiting fat washer.
If I hold the brake on gently and rev up the top speed is better hence I thought it might be a clutch issue with the heat generated making something expand, creating more friction…
I’ve bought a write-off 125 now but that is burning oil and thrumming rough!
Shoe string motor biking isn’t for everyone!

Well, the first rule about modifications is do them one at a time and see what the effect is. Especially if you don't know what you are doing. Changing everything at once? one thing could improve the bike, another could fcuk it up. Anyway, as said, turd polishing is really a pointelss task.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 05 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
removing the variator restrictor and doing nothing else increased the top speed by a whopping 5+ mph.

To be fair, in OP's case a +5 mph increase is a gain of 17% Laughing

I am also on the pointless express on this one though
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1