Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki KLE 500 1991 electrics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

zoombini
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Kawasaki KLE 500 1991 electrics Reply with quote

Heya lovely forum, I finally got a proper bike!

I went into my local garage to get some bolts to install a rack I purchased on the bay.

They said they would install it there and then for me for a small fee.

Usually I would avoid garages since I have a desire to learn how to do it myself (want to take the bike round the world one day) and limited resources, though I was eager to get it done and get off on an adventure during the hot weather.

Something goes wrong when they move the indicators onto the rack. Now they don't work and they are asking for a large fee to get my lights working.

They get my indicators working and took £120 off me but now my front light and fan are not working or at least the front light works when it wants to which is obviously not ideal if I want to head off wild camping.

I have done bits of electrics myself but I worry its a whole rewiring job which I feel a bit unconfident about.

I was wondering if any of you lovely people would be up for providing me some advice of where to start if it does come to rewiring the whole god damn thing - what cables, what tester etc. I have the manual and access to youtube but I still feel a bit uneasy about shredding it apart.

Or, I am based in Peckham and would be up for driving somewhere to receive some guidance. After what happened I really don't trust my local garage, or at least I cant afford them.

Much love and hope everyone is staying cool in the hot weather!

x

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:26 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have demanded that they fix the indicators they broke for free....

zoombini
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I’m hindsight I should have done but I was watching the mechanic work and it did seem to be no fault of his own. Plus they broke it then asked me if I wanted it fixing and since I was due to pick up my partner at the airport that night I was left a bit stuck and not in the mood to fight.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:32 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start by checking for blown or loose fuses in the main fuse box. It's possible they created a short circuit when they moved the flashers or trapped a wire under something.

Also have a good look at the main 30A fuse and it's holder which are prone to corrosion on those bikes. The main fuse is on the side of the starter solenoid which you can find by following the big fat wire from the battery positive, the solenoid is on the other end of it. If the holder is all full of crumbly green corrosion, you may well have found your problem..

zoombini
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 07 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd start by checking for blown or loose fuses in the main fuse box. It's possible they created a short circuit when they moved the flashers or trapped a wire under something.

Also have a good look at the main 30A fuse and it's holder which are prone to corrosion on those bikes. The main fuse is on the side of the starter solenoid which you can find by following the big fat wire from the battery positive, the solenoid is on the other end of it. If the holder is all full of crumbly green corrosion, you may well have found your problem..

Thanks Stinkwheel! Ill open it up and check it over. Corrosion can mean some lights work and some dont?

Bests

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:03 - 07 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoombini wrote:

Thanks Stinkwheel! Ill open it up and check it over. Corrosion can mean some lights work and some dont?

Bests

Copper conducts electricity. Copper oxide (corroded copper) doesn't. So corrosion on that terminal can cause intermittant or poor power supply to the entire bikes electrics. I've owned three EX500 based bikes and that wire/connection went bad on all of them.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:02 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be checking for pinched wiring or loose connectors.

Also contact cleaner the connectors then pack with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

You can also bust out the multimeter on continuity mode. It's easy to check whether something is getting ground and if it is. You can then trace power back through the loom - I start from the fusebox and work forward.

It's not hard it's just methodical. It's not much different to finding a blockage in a water pipe except it's easier because you can test different points to say "Has it got any water in it?" (Electricity in the wire, in this instance)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1