Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What Grinds my gears archive B

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 18 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
How's that going to prevent my tubed tyre rotating on the rim?

It only replaces the nut, you still need the rim lock. You have money to burn, right? Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:01 - 18 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I blew a whole £60 on the wheel and £25 on a used tyre. Mr spendy me.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 19 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought an expensive set of Sony wireless earbuds and, like the cheaper wired pair I bought years ago, they still ‘protect my hearing’ by limiting the volume. Good sound but wank. Back to the wired Sennheisers and IMores.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 20 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Bought an expensive set of Sony wireless earbuds and, like the cheaper wired pair I bought years ago, they still ‘protect my hearing’ by limiting the volume. Good sound but wank. Back to the wired Sennheisers and IMores.

I got a pair of Sony WF1000XM4 wireless buds for £199 last year and I have to be honest I think they are dog shit too. They get amazing write-ups on all review sites but I think they are shite. I think I liked them when I first got them but over time realised wireless buds are shite compared to wired cans.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 20 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, these are the -XM5’s and a stupid amount of money but I’d sold ten items I no longer use on Facebook Marketplace and thought I’d treat myself with the takings. I was swayed by the reviews too but I’m not even impressed with the sound-cancelling feature, though I haven’t tried them on the bike in place of ear plugs yet. Not sure I’ll bother. Feel like a mug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat-response, open-backed studio headphones or don't bother.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 20 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

This +1

Although, I don't care what people use for listening to music these days, and some of the ''audiophile grade'' equipment is not only expensive but also questionable.

I mean, I used to like Sony's headphones and in-ear monitors a lot, but then I got to listen to music through ''flat-response, open-backed studio headphones'' and I just don't like those v-shape EQ tuned, with emphasis on bass, headphones from Sony anymore. Sure, I haven't tried all the Sony products, but my point is, teeth shattering bass isn't a sign of a good listening experience. Unless you enjoy that, of course.

These days, I use HD660S headphones from Sennheiser, and I was just hooked from the very first day I got to try them. I never thought a pair of headphones could sound this good and natural, airy, complex, accomplished...

I still own Sony WH-1000XM4, paid the same money I paid for the HD660S, and although I am impressed the Sony headphones do sound comparable both through the wired connection and the BT, even the active noise-canceling works well, I just don't like to use them any more, nor I feel like they are worth the money I paid. They are very bass heavy, with noticeable distortion, and the sound feels just wrong. Well, at least I finally experienced what sound stage means, when direct comparing the WH-1000XM4 with HD660S, ... I found out I do like wider sound stage. Yes, I am that kind of person, now.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 21 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pair of Bose overeat cans that I can’t remember the model of and I swear those were the best earphones I ever had. My full cans are Bang and Olufsen H9’s that replaced the H4’s I had.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:15 - 21 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Suggestions?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 21 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your budget. RhynoCZ's suggestions are at the higher end so I'll suggest a budget pick with AKG.

Sound quality is good, build quality pretty awful but they are cheap as chips. I have the K245 model at the moment and the earpads disintegrated with a month! I got some replacements on AliExpress and they've lasted pretty well. The leather headband's starting to go now so I might try one of their other models.

Whatever brand/model you go for look for a mini-XLR socket. It's nice to get a cable of an appropriate length and I've had fixed, moulded-in cables (or ones with a proprietary connector) fail with the cans probably being perfectly fine. You can also get mini-XLR/microphone combos if you desire your Zoom/Teams meetings with the best audio Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 21 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sennheiser HD600 are still being considered the entry level ''audiophile'' headphones to get.

Once you start trying different headphones, you'll figure out what you like. I very much enjoy my HD660S that some say lacks sub-bass performance, but as I've mentioned before, I don't consider bass heavy sound to be something I'd appreciate.

AKG also makes nice entry level ''audiophile'' headphones, Audeze seems to be winning awards all over the world.

It is worth knowing, that once you get over a certain price point, the differences between the products are very minor. The same goes for DACs, AMPs and all that.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 21 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the iPhone ‘Sounds and Haptics’ ‘Headphone Safety’ setting was limiting the volume. Better now.
Edit: still not as brilliant as hoped though. One of my favourite YouTubers The Charismatic Voice recommends Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro Open-Back Studio Reference Headphones but I’m not sure I can justify the cost.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 22 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
It is worth knowing, that once you get over a certain price point, the differences between the products are very minor. The same goes for DACs, AMPs and all that.

"Does AliExpress sell replacement foam ear pads for this model?" tells you something about a product's success Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 22 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. Also, most of the ''audiophile'' headphone companies rarely change the shape of the ear cups, so the same pads would sometimes fit 20 years+ of various models of the same company. HD580 (released in 1994), HD600, HD650, HD6XX, HD660S, HD660S2 (released in 2023)... all use the same replaceable ear pads and replaceable cables as well.

I don't know about other manufacturers, but I'm gonna assume, that they pretty much do the same thing, having the same shape of the ear cups and cables over their headphone line up.

So, IF you really do not want to invest a lot, for your first ''audiophile'' headphones, you could try used market and buy some fresh brand-new ear pads to get that nice, brand-new feel. After all, as the ear pads age, they do influence (degrade) the sound performance of the headphones.

Also, if your computer (and other playback devices) does not have enough power at the headphone out jack, any of the USB dongles would do for most of the headphones on the market. I had to buy one of those dongles, as I switched to a new smartphone that has got no 3.5mm jack.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:27 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the little bastard has been diagnosed with ADHD and is seriously at risk of being expelled at age 7.

I've managed to get an appointment with his paediatician within a week(!) and today he got a prescription.

I went to 3 different pharmacies and got told the same thing. They don't have it, the supplier can't even tell them when they can even think about getting a supply.

Rang the paediaticians office with a view to changing the prescription and they said it's happening with a lot of medications.

This country is fucked. Absolutely fucked.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:03 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So the little bastard has been diagnosed with ADHD and is seriously at risk of being expelled at age 7.

I've managed to get an appointment with his paediatician within a week(!) and today he got a prescription.

I went to 3 different pharmacies and got told the same thing. They don't have it, the supplier can't even tell them when they can even think about getting a supply.

Rang the paediaticians office with a view to changing the prescription and they said it's happening with a lot of medications.

I suppose you tried calling Boot's or or that other big pharmacy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:13 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
they said it's happening with a lot of medications.

It's happening in my field too. The only injectable B vitamins we can source from anywhere in Europe are from Hungary and penicillin periodically goes into short supply. A couple of our sheep vaccines are pretty much unobtainable too.

As far as i can see, the two main reasons are: 1) They have been sourcing base chemical stock overseas. If a bulk order arrives and turns out to be not up to scratch, they have to dump it and order more which puts production 3-6 months behind. Reading between the lines, China.

2) Changes in regs meaning part of the manufacturing facility loses its certification and needs to be shut down for a refit. This definitely happened in one of the big manufacturers recently where they lost the use of their big "clean room" for several months which lead to a good 6 month backlog.

I don't think this is a brexit problem, it's Europe-wide, we have no difficulty sourcing drugs from the EU, they don't have them either.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Don't move to Ireland.. 60 Euro to get a GP appoint, 100 Euro if you turn up at A&E without a referral from GP.. Everyone who lives near the border has a fake address in the North to get NHS treatmant, well maybe not everyone, but plenty.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a dripping boiler, its been crap weather all week. The sun is shining and its just right for a bike ride, the engineer is due between 12 noon and 3pm. Bastard will turn up at 4pm and take two hors to do a ten minute job.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:20 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Bastard will turn up at 4pm and take two hors to do a ten minute job.

I know nothing about boilers.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:28 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I would find out what variations of the medication are available, and try to get the script changed to that.

I'm assuming the medication is methylphenidate (ritalin). That is available in a few different sizes, and the pills are scored so a 10mg could be cut in half. It's also available as a couple of generics, and as a long release (concerta XL).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:39 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A variation of, yes. But capsule, not pill, so not easily split.

The prescription will be sorted.The father in law ambushingme the day before will take longer. The little bastard is really on board and is unhappy with how school is but cannot control himself. As soon as the appointment finished he was asking whether he could go to school yet despite he's basically in isolation the whole time.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So the little bastard has been diagnosed with ADHD

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Thats-a-paddlin.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A variation of, yes. But capsule, not pill, so not easily split.

The prescription will be sorted.The father in law ambushingme the day before will take longer. The little bastard is really on board and is unhappy with how school is but cannot control himself. As soon as the appointment finished he was asking whether he could go to school yet despite he's basically in isolation the whole time.

Bit far away but Zen Pharmacy in Beauchamp Place might be worth an ask.
They've been low on some things lately but are usually well stocked.

They're not cheap ... but you could give them a bell and ask 0207 225 1660 - they're open till quite late, maybe 11 or so.

For that sorta prescription, you'd probably have to come up and present the original Rx to the pharmacist. Bit of a bugger, as its right round the corner from Harrods.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to stop being a nice helpful person. Lent neighbour a battery from spare vehicle as an emergency for his daughter whose car kept on going flat battery. Only supposed to be for the weekend while the alternator was checked out. Turns out it is the battery. Neighbour says he offered to buy daughter a new battery (£150) but apparently she is too proud to accept his offer. He asked if she could use the battery for another week while she got the money together. Now he thinks he can give me £50 for my battery and give me the knackered battery while I scrap the car or push it onto a potential buyer I may have. Bugger also conned me out of my battery charger.
I like the guy and he has been helpful in the past, but he does try to take advantage over things. Typical give an inch and takes a mile.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 163 of 181