Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noisy aftermarket front sprocket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:08 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Noisy aftermarket front sprocket Reply with quote

I finally finished working on and MOT'd my wife's late uncle's ZX6R.
(I have to say it was worth every penny and hour spent).

i have noticed that the aftermarket front sprocket (JT sprocket, part of a kit) is a solid one rather than the cush driven OEM that came off. It's quite a bit noisier under load which isn't an issue for me but just wondering if this is going to be putting more wear and tear on the gearbox output bearings.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:42 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. There is cush on the rear sprocket, the front OEM has a rubber piece that has the sole job of reducing noise of the chain. It does no cush or damping. If it becomes annoying then it is worth replacing with OEM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:19 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:
No worries. There is cush on the rear sprocket, the front OEM has a rubber piece that has the sole job of reducing noise of the chain. It does no cush or damping. If it becomes annoying then it is worth replacing with OEM.

Cool, thanks. I've looked up a cush one and they're not too spitefully expensive so may well change some time.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:47 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more commutes and the noise finally persuaded me to put a rubber damped JT sprocket on last night, just the job, bike no longer sounds like it has an iffy supercharger. Very Happy

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:40 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering the thread is offically "solved", can I tag a question onto this if possible....
my front sprocket is held on with a circlip, a big one, but just a circlip...the replacement JT sprocket is ever so slightly thinner (1..-2?mm)..as the OEM one has a sticky out part.

Should I just shim it with a washer?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:43 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:29 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if the current sprocket is already free to 'float' on the spindle then a slight increase won't really make much difference.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1