Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Luton Airport Fire

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Luton Airport Fire Reply with quote

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/luton-airport-car-park-cause-b2427767.html?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=exchange&tblci=GiB2MUvvFCJxxpYKpKd7btyIWrX7Gg-mUoU9X1qb7uxt6SDj3U8o-JCZw92ipMiYAQ#tblciGiB2MUvvFCJxxpYKpKd7btyIWrX7Gg-mUoU9X1qb7uxt6SDj3U8o-JCZw92ipMiYAQ

I stupidly assumed that a building designed to store cars that run on hydrocarbon fuel would come with a fire suppression system.
For the fire to be so intense that the building collapsed says that whatever was installed wasn't even 5% effective.

I think head will roll.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Luton Airport Fire Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I think heads will roll.

They might not...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nero would have loved to fiddle while Luton burned.

Personally I'd ask Israel to turn it to glass as it's a horrible place that makes the Gaza stip seem a holiday resort.

(sorry recman)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Luton Airport Fire Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
MCN wrote:
I think heads will roll.

They might not...

"At the time, Buckingham was performing well having reported an 20 per cent rise in profits for 2017 and a 3.9 per cent margin - its highest in a decade."

Fuck their Profits and Fuck their Loss.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be some nervous folk at the insurance compaines for the next few days

Looks like they may have already idientified the car that caused it, a diesel Range Rover

Thats going to be one hell of a claim

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Looks like they may have already idientified the car that caused it, a diesel Range Rover

Thats going to be one hell of a claim

Let's hope that they've got protected no-claims!

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly one way to ruin your holiday, look on the news to see your cars burning back at the airport

People wetting themselves on twitter about it being a coverup for an EV setting on fire, i've probably seen as many ev's go up as Range rovers
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very curious to know how the fire started. Diesel is a notoriously difficult medium to burn. I remember a fireman on the firefighting command and control course I went on in Strathclyde throwing a flare into a huge open tank of diesel to show us how difficult it was to set on fire. We were also allowed to arc weld on the outside of tanks full of diesel, it wasn't considered a fire risk whereas empty diesel tanks were.

Therefore I'm guessing it was electrical and caused other parts of the car to go up until it got hot enough to ignite other cars.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'd be very curious to know how the fire started. Diesel is a notoriously difficult medium to burn. I remember a fireman on the firefighting command and control course I went on in Strathclyde throwing a flare into a huge open tank of diesel to show us how difficult it was to set on fire. We were also allowed to arc weld on the outside of tanks full of diesel, it wasn't considered a fire risk whereas empty diesel tanks were.

Therefore I'm guessing it was electrical and caused other parts of the car to go up until it got hot enough to ignite other cars.

Yes, the report i read suggested an electrical issue would have likely started the fire, apparently not an uncommon issue on that model of Range Rover

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the video with first car burning it looks a lot like a battery the way flames are shooting out sideways.
Diesel leaking on hot engine could ignite but you'd get sooty flames coming up around the bonnet.

Chances are it's a hybrid but it's more politically correct to describe it as diesel. Apparently hybrids catch fire far more per 1000 sold than either ICE or full EV. In fact to be fair EVs do spontaneously combust least - though when one does go up it is extremely toxic and almost impossible to extinguish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel car Schmiesel car. It was a car fire.
Usually electrics.

The mention of diesel only serves to confuse.

The only ones who will pay for the carnage are the people who buy insurance premiums.

As with any other disasters.

Insurance industry profit.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range Rover Hybrid Evoque (with 48V Li-ion battery), apparently.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:57 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

It's gone surprisingly quiet on that front. Yes, Gaza is making the headlines but you would think it would be on the UK pages. Everything I have read they are saying a diesel car, not mentioning a hybrid. I suspect with my conspiracy head on, they (who is they? the government?) really don't want it linked to any electric vehicle.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Lots of modern cars now have 48v batteries and run a mild hybrid setup, petrol and diesel.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 15 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

Lots of modern cars now have 48v batteries and run a mild hybrid setup, petrol and diesel.

Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYpgnMmoKQM

He is correct as to the location of the start of the fire.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1