GP

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:09 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugsy46 wrote:

At the end of the day it was a racing incident, nothing more, nothing less.

I have not said I thought it was anything else, you may notice if you read my posts.

I did not think Rossi did it intentionally. Accidents happen in racing, especially in this sort of situation.
It doesn't mean that Rossi's position was right, presuming it was unintentional.

I did say that if it was intentional it was a very nasty move.
You told me that, that was why we don't have so many top british racers.
I took issue with this.
You didn't respond to my last response; sorry you're going to have justify yourself a bit more if you want to get a way with taking the piss like you did Smile.

Quote:
How many times has this debate sparked up concerning Valentino in the past 5 years?

As I said, I don't follow racing Smile. However if someone constantly pushes the limits of the rules, it doesn't make it any less wrong.

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 00:19 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

Yes, I think its ok to let it happen again and again as long as it isnt deliberate which quite clearly it was not. But it isnt going to, because racing doesnt work like that. Statistics prove this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I've just watched the race on Sky+ after desperately trying to avoid all news coverage!

Well that last lap was fantastic, and to me it looks like a racing incident. End of. They're on the last lap of a race, they're rivals, they've overtaken each other several times on that lap already... The adenalin could not be flowing much harder!

As I see it, there was a gap under Sete and Rossi went for it. It looks like he then saw Sete cutting across which is when he tries to drag his bike over further (and his foot comes off the peg). They hit, Sete possibly keeps Rossi on the track at the expensive of himself. It's a racing incident - there is no way someone's going to plan something like that, and Rossi is not that type of rider. You don't purposely ram someone on a bike, that puts you in as much danger as them - it's not F1!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irdawood the 2nd
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:26 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really should let it rest but i couldnt Wink

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/01.jpg

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/02.jpg

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/03.jpg

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/04.jpg

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/05.jpg

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/06.jpg

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/07.jpg

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/08.jpg

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/09.jpg

looks like rossi is ok in the move... he was going in hot but like everyone said sete went in for it too.... then again its racing and the man that is the most desperate to win... wins Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:53 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugsy46 wrote:

Yes, I think its ok to let it happen again and again as long as it isnt deliberate which quite clearly it was not. But it isnt going to, because racing doesnt work like that. Statistics prove this.

So you would be happy for someone to make mistakes like that regularly? Or just for different riders to do it at different times?

What if it was Rossi that was regularly getting 'done' like this, last corner, last lap and losing the championship because of it?
What if Rossi was displaying better riding skills then got taken out on the last corner by someone making a last ditch attempt to get past and over cooking it?

I have not said I have a massive problem with it.
I think it was a 'racing incident', which does happen. Again, I repeat that my original comment said 'if it was intentional.....' Your original response to my post suggested that you thought England didn't have enough up-coming riders because English riders weren't prepared to deliberately barge other riders off the track.

I do think Rossi was rather cheeky afterwards, but that does tend to be a trait with top riders (seem to remember Foggy was considered a bit of a **** in a lot of his attitudes).

Those phots show that the line Rossi took apex'd on the other side of the track, nowhere near the 'correct' apex that Sete was aiming for.
I had wondered if Rossi had decided that Sete had/should have seen him so took the bike wide as a kind of 'punishement'.
If sete had stayed on the outside and did have the better drive that I'm told he does, he would have won the race it seems.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:57 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G are you suggesting that Rossi got away with this move because of who he is?

Like I said before, Sete almost ran Rossi off the track a couple corners previous going past him, yet we're not discussing that particular move...

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 15:44 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those pics show that it was Sete's fault, by riding into Rossi, rather than Rossi going wide and forcing him off.

Although once they'd touched I think Rossi just made sure it stuck.

Good racing if you ask me Thumbs Up

But I agree with G, if this kind of thing becomes acceptable it'll come down to a demolition derby kind of affair. I think this particular move was acceptable.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 15:45 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do think Rossi was rather cheeky afterwards, but that does tend to be a trait with top riders (seem to remember Foggy was considered a bit of a **** in a lot of his attitudes).

No!!!

Foggy had a way different attitude to Rossi. Foggy was an arrogant git even more so now. Rossi has a fun attitude which is why every track on the calendar (excluding spain) is a "home" grand prix for him. If you were on the podium, and the fans were shouting "SON OF A WHORE" at you, what would you do? Its only natural to rub sete's nose in it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:04 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
I think those pics show that it was Sete's fault, by riding into Rossi, rather than Rossi going wide and forcing him off.

I shall re-iterate. It's the person who's trying to overtake perogative to do it safely. That is the rule.
If Rossi did not do this and there was a collision, then it was his fault.
Rossi did not manage to overtake, he only managed to get level.

Maurice: no I wasn't trying to suggest that, sorry if I gave that impression.

Bugsy: I didn't say they had the same attitude apart from that they were both 'cheeky'.

It may be natural to rub someone's nose in it. It would also be natural for Sete to want to punch Rossi in the face.
Neither action I would consider very nice.

scottiel
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:19 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a racing incident. I did exactly the same on saturday, as I came into the hairpin a guy came round the outside of me and cut me off for next corner, as we came out of this corner and headed for final corner i cut inside him got the power down came under him he turned on to me, I pushed him wide and crossed the line before him. ok so we are only clubman racers and it was for 15th place but racing is racing and IF YOUR NOT IN THEN YOU CAN'T WIN.

The guy came up to me later and said it was a great move and shook my hand. Sete is just a moody shit when things don't go his way. Rossi was a bit Agressive but thats why he is a Legend. In 10 years time where will Sete be. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Those phots show that the line Rossi took apex'd on the other side of the track, nowhere near the 'correct' apex that Sete was aiming for.

Maybe, but as he was attempting an overtaking move on the corner the chances are he never would have been able to take the corner "correctly" because there'd be another bike there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossi would no doubt have made that corner a lot tighter than he did BUT the collision as Sete cut back in unsetled the bike and caused it to run wide, anyone who rides a bike will understand that. if you hit a bump mid corner it upsets the whole machine and causes it to run wide on many occasions, a bump at the speeds they were doing and at the lean angles they were on then there's only one thing going to happen............the bike will wibble about and run off line.

GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:46 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise it's the overtaker's job to do so safely but it would have been safe if Sete hadn't done what he did.

In summary, I think it was fine, and it had me on the edge of my seat, well done Rossi.

Gaz

Jayman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:08 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for blame, I'd say 50/50.

I dont exactly agree. i dont like to lay blame but take a look at the screenshots, watch Rossi's line, he hardly moves at all. Obviously we cant see what speed rossi was entering the corner at, whether or not he was coming in too fast is not what im interested in, the fact is rossi take the racing line, sete was wide and should not have been. Look where rossi ends up-exactly where you would expect him to be, its sete who has come in too wide HIT rossi (check the shots it's clearly sete who moves into rossi), and then keeps rossi tight on the turn, even tighter than usually as he has sete on his right side keeping him tight, which results in sete sacrificing his line and ending up in the rough. The collision which caused the problem was COMPLETELY sete's fault, if a car knocks me im not going to accept responsibility for it. Its the same here.

G
The Voice of Reason

Gazdaman wrote:
I realise it's the overtaker's job to do so safely but it would have been safe if Sete hadn't done what he did.

Looking next to you before moving over would make racing a lot more dangerous. The line Sete took going in there is what anyone would expect from someone in his position; apexing on the kerb of that side.
If Rossi had actually got past Sete and Sete then hit him, it would be a completey different matter.

For the record, on my third trackday I had another bike collide with me on the outside while I was knee down, to the point both wheels lost traction while I was leant over. I only ran a little wide as the wheels drifted.
While I obviously wouldn't have been pushing it as much as those; I do remember I was fairly nearly the limit of traction for the setup as it was.

There is only two reasons I can see Rossi took the line he did;
A: He over-cooked it and was going to fast for the corner.
B: He was pissed off that Sete hit him, so decided to make him pay (or just wanted to win).

(I should point out again, that I don't think it's was a particularly bad thing in this case.)

Jayman
Derestricted Danger

Quote:
As for blame, I'd say 50/50.

I dont exactly agree. i dont like to lay blame but take a look at the screenshots, watch Rossi's line, he hardly moves at all. Obviously we cant see what speed rossi was entering the corner at, whether or not he was coming in too fast is not what im interested in, the fact is rossi take the racing line, sete was wide and should not have been. Look where rossi ends up-exactly where you would expect him to be, its sete who has come in too wide HIT rossi (check the shots it's clearly sete who moves into rossi), and then keeps rossi tight on the turn, even tighter than usually as he has sete on his right side keeping him tight, which results in sete sacrificing his line and ending up in the rough. The collision which caused the problem was COMPLETELY sete's fault, if a car knocks me im not going to accept responsibility for it. Its the same here.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:16 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the last shot.

That was where Rossi Apex'd. While Sete's line took him to apex just after they collided, which seems about right to get lots of drive out of the corner.

Having looked at those pictures, it does seem Sete was a bit wide.

Bit it wasn't wide enough to let Sete overtake safely (ie not make Sete change position until he is actually fully past him).

If you pull to the left side of a van that's about to turn on the road, you would have a very hard time proving that you weren't at fault.

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Look at the last shot.

That was where Rossi Apex'd. While Sete's line took him to apex just after they collided, which seems about right to get lots of drive out of the corner.

Having looked at those pictures, it does seem Sete was a bit wide.

Bit it wasn't wide enough to let Sete overtake safely (ie not make Sete change position until he is actually fully past him).

If you pull to the left side of a van that's about to turn on the road, you would have a very hard time proving that you weren't at fault.

BUT if riders never made a mistake then there would be no overtaking................end of.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:31 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 'XX' wrote:

BUT if riders never made a mistake then there would be no overtaking................end of.

Plenty of people overtake very cleanly and still manage to 'race' and win.

I'm not criticising anyone for making a mistake. You will notice further up that I said I did a very similar thing in a case where a lot less was at stake.

It doesn't mean that the situation wasn't my fault as it was me that made the mistake.

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 23:40 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What? This isnt a driving lesson? Its bike racing!! Sete left a gap, Rossi took it!!! If Sete wanted the win enough he would of held the massive gap he had on Rossi during the halfway point in the race, he didnt, rossi caught him and beat him fair and square. To the people who disagree and think Rossi is in the wrong, there is something MotoGP follows by called "race direction". They didnt enforce anything so one would asume all was ok with rossi's manouver.

Heres some more close moves with rossi and co from last season

Assen last lap overtake

https://www2.motogp.com/ppv_multimedia2/283/283891_83003.wmv

Phakisa Freeway (putting biaggi out wide - 2mins 26sec)

https://www2.motogp.com/ppv_multimedia2/269/269374.wmv

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd disagree that Sete was at all wide. If anything, I reckon he had a defensive line for that corner. If you look at this pic you can see that both riders are on the lighter part of the track, ie where it's dusty and to the left of the normal racing line. Also look at where the rumble strips are in the pictures for a good indication of the normal racing line - Sete was far closer to it and would have probably made the normal apex if it wasn't for Rossi.

https://www.marca.com/05/04/10/maniobra_rossi/01.jpg

I don't think anyone's saying that Rossi shouldn't have tried to overtake, but I do still feel that Rossi outbraked himself on completely the wrong line and ran into Sete as a result. Although Sete does move in towards Rossi's line, the line Rossi's on is nowhere near the normal apex for the corner.

Quote:
The collision which caused the problem was COMPLETELY sete's fault, if a car knocks me im not going to accept responsibility for it. Its the same here.

I don't think you can compare a road accident to something that happens on track. If what you were saying was true then riders could run into corners at speeds too high to get round a corner, on a line to the extreme left or right of the track and then blame other riders for following the normal line and then hitting them. It's not logical.

I'm not really 'blaming' Rossi because I still think it's a non-incident, but if anyone was at fault it was him. Bugsy, I'm sure you'd feel the same way if the shoe was on the other foot and Sete ran into Rossi. To be crystal clear though, I don't think it should have been dealt with by race direction and I'm glad the result remained as it should have, because the quickest man won.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugsy46 wrote:
Mick Doohan and Alex Criville Jerez 1996

https://www2.motogp.com/ppv_multimedia/67/67701.wmv?MOTOGRANDPRIXSESSID=ff1cf24d3598bb4d0d50bc67ff13ec8a

slightly similar although there was no contact. Check out all the fans gathered in the gravel!!!!! my god

That's crazy - not so much the brutal highside, but the people lining the edge of the track on the last lap Shocked People could have died if a rider has left the track at speed!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:59 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What? This isnt a driving lesson? Its bike racing!!

Yes. There are a lot more rules in racing!

Quote:
Sete left a gap, Rossi took it!!!

Seeing that you disagree with the official definitions: how far behind can someone be and it still be considered a 'good' pass?
Can it be just next to them? Or how about 10cm back? A meter back? just with their front wheel nudging the rider infront's back wheel?

Quote:
To the people who disagree and think Rossi is in the wrong, there is something MotoGP follows by called "race direction".

I don't see why they would penalise someone for a genuine accident. It doesn't mean the incident wasn't Rossi's fault though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5