Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car write off settlement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Car write off settlement Reply with quote

My old ma got into a glancing collision in her 59 plate Honda Jazz.

A steering link broke and the wheel is scuff plus some cosemtic (possibly other unseen stuff but no airbags..) Surprisingly written off as Cat B (I thought S worst case) and opening offer from insurer is £2340 (less 100 excess). I see from Autotrader equivalents are at least £1250 more than that.

Will we get any luck challenging this offer? We still hold the salvage although I guess thats's worth fuck all as cat B.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Car write off settlement Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

A steering link broke and the wheel is scuff plus some cosemtic (possibly other unseen stuff but no airbags..) Surprisingly written off as Cat B (I thought S worst case) and opening offer from insurer is £2340 (less 100 excess). I see from Autotrader equivalents are at least £1250 more than that.

Will we get any luck challenging this offer? We still hold the salvage although I guess thats's worth fuck all as cat B.

Is that the price for you to keep the car or them take it too?

I'd argue with them. Nothing ventured is nothing gained.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 21 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Car write off settlement Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
A100man wrote:

Is that the price for you to keep the car or them take it too?

I'd argue with them. Nothing ventured is nothing gained.

Yes indeed. NOt sure about the buy back - little point if cat B unlesss you want to spend the next 100 years dismantling and sending ebay packages. I would like to see assessors report too as on the face of it it looks like a whole, decent car not even any body damage apart from some bumper scuffs most of which were already there.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 21 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find similar age, condition, spec and mileage examples for sale online and use their values as a basis for your challenge. They should capitulate if you show them the evidence.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flying unmanned car hit mine whilst I was driving home late last year.

I argued with the insurance and got £500 more than they initially offered (£2,700).

It was still drivable despite being smashed up a bit. But £120 for replacement parts/panels from a scrapyard and it's at least more presentable now even if it was also a B category. Don't ask where the rest of the money went. Fucking bills and taxes and other 'surprise' shit- into the aether. Crying or Very sad

Anyway. I said no at least three times as the price increased until they said that was the very highest they were going and I though, yeah that's good enough. As you say- I used websites like autotrader to get relatable market price for my specific vehicle and engine/miles combination.
They expect people to ask for more I think- so they naturally give low offers in the hopes that people will just accept it, and if the claiment does argue then the insurance company are giving the money they truely would have been happy giving anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1