Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New lid - worth trying a pinlock?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:58 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: New lid - worth trying a pinlock? Reply with quote

The recent filthy weather has again reminded me how bad my cheap old Frank Thomas helmet is during damp/cold weather, so I'm looking at getting a replacement this weekend.

My biggest gripe at the moment is how quickly the poxy visor fogs up at anything under 50mph, plus the ventilation is totally gash and it's frigging noisy at speed even with ear plugs. Actually it's quite shit all round except comfort.

How much of a gamechanger is a pinlock visor? I've heard they are pretty susceptible to scratches but I'm actually really fussy around that and my current visor is still scratch free after 2 years.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:18 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a game changer.

The pinlock bit is actually an inner plastic bit that makes it essentially double glazed. Hard to see how you would scratch it.

The visor itself is a normal one, but with 2 pins,one each side on the inside to attach the inner to.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:02 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find they help up to a point but aren't the panecea most people seem to find them. Maybe it's just because I have a huge head and so am close to the visor or maybe it's just because I run hot and make a lot of condensation.

I have one in my current lid but still have to ride with the visor cracked if it's raining or I totally fog up. I find them really annoying in the dark when they seem to exascerbate the starburst effect of the oncoming headlights if there's any rain about.

Worth a try though. I generally get the helmet shop to fit it before I take the lid away. You sometimes need to adjust the pins with a flat bladed screwdriver to get them to fit properly and it gives me the shits because you could gouge a brand new visor really easily. You also have to stretch the visor almost flat to the table to fit them and they don't always get a good seal all the way round on the rist attempt. They know this because they invariably shimf and wince then try to evade the issue telling you it's easy when you ask. To which I reply if it's easy to do then it's no problem to do it and you're the trained helmet tech who I'm buying a brand new lid off.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wipe washing up liquid on the inside of my visor. helps reduce the fogging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:23 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr sheen rubbed into both sides with a microfibre cloth. Also helps shed rain off the outside. Works for about an hour then stops working.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:39 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience, a pinlock is a complete game changer

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they any quieter..?

I had one supplied but just thought 'ah nice spare visor' until I realised what it was Embarassed Not really fussed about the fogging aspect.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:37 - 20 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't make any difference to the noise. Its on the inside face of the visor, but helps massively with fogging up.

It needs to be fitted correctly so it seals against the inside of the visor all the way around. Any gap and everything fogs up.

I was talking to someone a while ago who said that the plastic they are made of actually has some degree of moisture absorbency, and as they age this can become less effective so he changes his every year. No idea if there is any truth to that.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 21 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trick I've used in the past is to slit a small (1-2cm) morsel of plastic tubing and slide it over the bottom edge of my visor. It keeps it cracked open about the thickness of the tubing, which helps air ventilate the inside of the visor and thus helps keep it clear.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 21 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:
Doesn't make any difference to the noise. Its on the inside face of the visor,

Aha - yes makes sense.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:31 - 21 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
One trick I've used in the past is to slit a small (1-2cm) morsel of plastic tubing and slide it over the bottom edge of my visor. It keeps it cracked open about the thickness of the tubing, which helps air ventilate the inside of the visor and thus helps keep it clear.

I put a cable tie around the chin bar of my track lid to keep the visor cracked but on really wet commutes it would just let water in.

I have a pin lock in my current Shoei and it’s excellent. It does help with fogging and it’s easy to just not scratch it. The issue I personally have is that I wear glasses under my lid and the pin lock doesn’t stop them from fogging obviously. I need a pin lock for my glasses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 21 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin-Lock is vital.

Misting is inevitable.

Misting needs certain conditions to happen all at once.
Cold, moisture and moisture.

Cold weather and wet humid atmosphere means water vapour condenses on cold surfaces rather than stay suspended in the air.

Even when ventilation is provided, the air is so loaded with moisture is fails to lift mist away.

All one can do is reduce how much moisture is inside your lid.
Don't let the lining get wet, don't let rain blow in any opening and don't breathe.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 22 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

The HJC helmet I have has a little latch that keeps it open a tiny bit unless you click it shut and I cant understand why all helmets aren't like that. Pinlocks are still vital though, I wouldn't be without one if it has the option.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:
...the plastic they are made of actually has some degree of moisture absorbency, and as they age this can become less effective so he changes his every year. No idea if there is any truth to that.

Yes, they are moisture absorbent, but my last Pinlock served me for 8 years without any perceived loss of performance so an annual change seems..... keen.

The only time my Pinlocks have been overwhelmed is when the weather is both very cold and wet, particularly when snowing. That's pretty much the old time I find I have to open the visor a crack. I'm fully sealed up the rest of the time.

Oh and my pinlock couldn't deal with a neck seal pelmet thing. My Shoei came with a removable chin flap that almost completely seals the helmet around your neck. The visor misted like a bastard with that fitted. I think the chin thing probably helps with wind noise, but obviously compromises ventilation. I never use it.

My tips would be to keep the helmet indoors. In an unheated garage/topbox/chained to front wheel the moisture absorbing surface of the pinlock could reach saturation. Make sure it's fitted right with a good seal to the visor and keep it clean and scratch free. The inserts are very soft and easily scratched so treat it with care.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:24 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I bought a new lid on friday with pinlock visor.
I rode in to work this morning and it was cold and a bit of mist about but new visor was bloody brilliant.
I had to keep resisting the habit of lifting the visor at junctions.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nute wrote:
Doesn't make any difference to the noise. Its on the inside face of the visor, but helps massively with fogging up.

It needs to be fitted correctly so it seals against the inside of the visor all the way around. Any gap and everything fogs up.

I was talking to someone a while ago who said that the plastic they are made of actually has some degree of moisture absorbency, and as they age this can become less effective so he changes his every year. No idea if there is any truth to that.

The inside surface/visor side has a moisture absorbent coating. That is there to absorb any moisture in the gap between the visor and the pin-lock.
If it get wet, then the absorbency will be reduced.
But if removed from the visor and left to dry it regains it mono.
The pin-lock lasts as long as the visor. 1-2 years (2 is an unused visor).

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to find my Pinlock needs a small amount of time to acclimatise on cool mornings. An educated guess says cool outside air house temperature plastic of visor/pinlock and even hotter & moisture laden my breath, is just too much for it al at once,. A couple of minutes of riding, thing equalise and it then works perfectly thereafter.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:54 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by them, being a man who has ridden multiple winters, especially in the days when I used to commute to the office.

Round town in winter it was almost essential, and I mean blokes coped without it before it. But it's like having an internal shitter - you'd be mad not to in this day and age.

My visors are always covered in scratches and dead flies. It's nature of the game when bike is your only transport and you often put on/ take off/ sling in topbox the helmet multiple times a day. Pinlock doesn't ever really get scratched though.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1