Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road legal offroader that can take a pillion well.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:10 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

smdts wrote:
Are they not 2stroke?
2 strokes generally aren't great for part throttle bimbling around. If they are 4 stroke, would that not be only marginally more powerful than my WR, which i already said wasnt powerful enough.
I already have 3 2 stroke engines to look after, thats enough for now.

A road 2 stroke is not great for bimbling, but an EC300 is just torque and power. - Anyway, it's not a particularly serious suggestion, it's just what I'd buy if I bought another off roader
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:47 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas-gas engines spend 95% of their life at idle or very small throttle openings and 5% wide open.

smdts
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:06 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they any good for carrying a pillion?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:25 - 25 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

smdts wrote:
Are they any good for carrying a pillion?

I wouldn't have thought so. But it was mentioned in the context of being about the right weight for offroading.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:24 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is your requirements are effectively opposite, and physics means anything you buy will always be a compromise. The F800GS does sound like the closest thing, but then you moan that a 200kg bike can't off road very well? It's definitely a cognitive dissonance thing.

My advice? Ditch the boat and buy 5 different bikes and be happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:26 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only slightly joking about my van-van suggestion. I'd imagine they'd be a total hoot on bings. Motorcycle equivalent of a dune buggy. Loads of flotation so they'll skim and bounce over any loose shit.

smdts
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:40 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The point is your requirements are effectively opposite, and physics means anything you buy will always be a compromise. The F800GS does sound like the closest thing, but then you moan that a 200kg bike can't off road very well? It's definitely a cognitive dissonance thing.

My advice? Ditch the boat and buy 5 different bikes and be happy.

Who mention f800gs?
I want something that can carry a pillion while offroading. It isnt impossible.
The ccm644 was an excellent suggestion, something I had forgotton ever existed, and probably what i will go for. If i cant find one of those when my f650 sells i will get a crf450x and mod the subframe and change the spring. I dont know why everyone is saying I am looking for something impossible. My wr did it, my dt125 did it, klr650 did it very well, I was just looking for suggestions to find something better than a klr, which it looks like the CCM is exactly what I fancy.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:18 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

smdts wrote:

Who mention f800gs?

650 GS, sorry I had forgotten which one, and it was a toss up. I just picked the wrong one.
smdts wrote:

I want something that can carry a pillion while offroading. It isnt impossible.

No, probably not but you want something that can carry a pillion and be *good* off road, which is near impossible if not impossible
smdts wrote:

The ccm644 was an excellent suggestion, something I had forgotton ever existed, and probably what i will go for. If i cant find one of those when my f650 sells i will get a crf450x and mod the subframe and change the spring. I dont know why everyone is saying I am looking for something impossible. My wr did it, my dt125 did it, klr650 did it very well, I was just looking for suggestions to find something better than a klr, which it looks like the CCM is exactly what I fancy.

I still think it won't be good at either.

smdts
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:51 - 26 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I still think it won't be good at either.

What do you base that on?
136kg is reasonable weight for off road. Klr is heavier and good enough for where I go.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2