Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ripping music from CD` Wav or FLAC

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Ripping music from CD` Wav or FLAC Reply with quote

Ive decided to put all my CD`s onto an SSD. IM going to use Exact Audio Copy to do the ripping. I can rip a full fat WAV and a FLAC for putting onto my Fiio audio player but I'm wondering if its basically not worth ripping to WAV as I'm keeping the CD`s so they are the basic archived WAV. FLAC seems to be the choice for compressed files to play on media players, is there any appreciable difference between WAV and FLAC when playing on the media player?

Cheers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:58 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose one consideration is if any mobile devices you might want the music on will play FLAC. Yes you can convert them but it can take some time.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it will take time but that's ok its a nightshift time waster project Smile Its whether its worth ripping to WAV in sound quality terms as WAVs are a lot bigger and essentially the physical CD is an archive of the wav and I'm not planning on binning the actual CD`s. My Fii0 plays FLAC and also my phone.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Re: Ripping music from CD` Wav or FLAC Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ive decided to put all my CD`s onto an SSD. IM going to use Exact Audio Copy to do the ripping. I can rip a full fat WAV and a FLAC for putting onto my Fiio audio player but I'm wondering if its basically not worth ripping to WAV as I'm keeping the CD`s so they are the basic archived WAV. FLAC seems to be the choice for compressed files to play on media players, is there any appreciable difference between WAV and FLAC when playing on the media player?

Cheers

As you'll probably know, the best to suss out exactly how much difference there is between different formats and file types is an A/B switch test. And ideally a blind test, at that. I've done this, years ago, and found that there WAS a noticeable difference between audio signals on a DAT master tape and first generation copies recorded to a CDRW via a HHB Burnit CDR830.

But - firstly, I could only hear the difference by switching from one to the other formats with headphones. Everything in the signal chain was identical apart from the original source (obviously).

However, once the headphones were off and I was challenged to tell one from the other by listening to the signals through the speakers in the room, it wasn't so easy. In fact, iirc, I'm not sure I could.

Iow, the differences were discernible but only under quite specific and dare I say artificial conditions. In the room, where one signal was played - then a few seconds later - the other, it was a lot harder to tell. Hence I decided that the differences were negligible. There was something very, very slightly smoother with the DAT. But you had to be able to switch immediately, from one to the other to tell.

This was all decades ago, though. More recently I had to decide whether I was okay with 99% of my music as mp3s of 320kbps quality or FLACs or WAVs. In the end I just thought fvck it, the 320 mp3s were fine. Easily good enough for car listening, for instance. And probably good enough everywhere else too.

I'm actually in the process of trying to get a lot of tracks in HQ mp3 files - I do a lot of this manually using streamed file converters. I'd previously neglected to pay attention to the quality of the files I was downloading - some were sh1t tbh. I quickly realised I needed at least 320kbps. So had to begin all over again.

https://320ytmp3.info/

As to your specific question of e.g. WAV vs. FLAC, I don't know. It gets subjective quite quickly. I basically decided a fair while ago that the main thing was to just listen to the music because if i was properly in the mood to enjoy it, a decent quality mp3 was easily good enough.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do FLAC WAV is outdated and has no real benefits over FLAC

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 05 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive come to the opinion that just FLAC is the best option. Put them to an external SSD. Im even considering a cheap NAS if it's not too much of a pita to set up.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 05 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread should be in the Geek/Nerd forum. Rolling Eyes

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 06 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
This thread should be in the Geek/Nerd forum. Rolling Eyes

It's nowhere near the geek zone, you should fo and look up some audiophile sites for a true geek-out. Thats why I posted here just to get some simple advice.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1