Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter Corrosion Protection

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Winter Corrosion Protection Reply with quote

ACF50 seems to be the way to go so I ordered some GT85 as it is a lot less expensive. Has anyone used the GT85? Three cans for £12. Am I being a tight arse and should have gone for the ACF50?

Anyway, I'll cover the bike in GT85 and hope for the best. XCP gets good reviews as well.

There was a YouTube video, I can't find it, where they did a pretty thorough experiment on several products and ACF 50 didn't come out on top. Can't remember what did.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well GT85 sure didn't (come out on top).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF50 works.

It's not that expensive when you consider how effective it is.

Spray it on using their wee spray bottle.

It's wee probably to discourage using too much.

A litre lasts for years.

Only needs topping up a few areas after hefty pressure was or overenthusiastic cleaning.

Your thread reminded me to order some acf50.

Order placed. Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

John from Bennetts

https://youtu.be/R5LSxpoqcWo?si=tLEk5gCWnUKbwqCv

and

https://youtu.be/wBgF07I7TQM?si=JOes7OPsPBjtbDFv
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Thanks very much for that mate. The video that I was thinking about. Seems ACF50 may not be the best. Neither is GT85 right enough Laughing

I would be interested to see if there are any positives in using the GT85, providing a PTFE coat. Then cover it in ACF50 or equivalent (Id be tempted to use the XCP now after watching the videos).

Graphene coating is interesting.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:45 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that PTFE coat is all its cracked up to be. Used to use it on my pushbike chain. Lasted a ride tops then 2/3 days in shed = rusty chain.

Still - in a pinch I do use it to coat the motorbike and bolts/clips/moving bits. Just did it now before leaving work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT85 more like wd40 no? Thin oil for lubing/pentrating not an over winter solution.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
GT85 more like wd40 no? Thin oil for lubing/pentrating not an over winter solution.

Seems that way. The GT85 PTFE coating can do no harm I think. I'll order some XCP.

I've impressed myself with actually thinking about winter protection this year.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:38 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF-50 doesn't smell too bad. XCP has a strong unpleasant smell as does Muc-off HCB-1. I have tried them all and they all do a good job. The HCB-1 has a UV dye in it so if you have a UV torch you can see where you have hit and missed.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:03 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all sounds like a problem and product has been dreamt up.

Winter corrosion on bikes is not that big of a problem in the first place, unless you have a lot of exposed steel or bare aluminium. ACF50 might slow down the corrosion, but bare metal is going to corrode.

Removing corrosion is not that difficult on steel. Rarely worth it on aluminium, because it comes back so fast.

I prefer to use a proper coating (like paint) or just ignore it. The main benefit for me of ACF50 is making it easier to clean.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:49 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own. Keeping a bike free of corrosion helps with maintenance and resale in my experience. When buying secondhand, seeing rusty fasteners and structural steel parts puts me right off.

I helped a guy fit a centre stand to a NC750S the other day. It was a 2019 and had done about 19K miles. It was in OK condition and the guy rode it all year round. The painted steel frame underneath the bike was beginning to rust. I had a 2018 NC with more miles and ACF had kept all rust at bay.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a 5 litre of ACF50 and it does underneath pickup twice with compressor applicator intended for waxoyl, leaving more than enough for two bikes at least twice with hand spray so that's two years maybe more.
It does work but under truck best to avoid washing it too much if at all - at least until later in winter when you know it will be blathered in salt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I get a 5 litre of ACF50 and it does underneath pickup twice with compressor applicator intended for waxoyl, leaving more than enough for two bikes at least twice with hand spray so that's two years maybe more.
It does work but under truck best to avoid washing it too much if at all - at least until later in winter when you know it will be blathered in salt.

The guy at the local mororbike shop says he covers his bike once and doesn't wash it until the spring. That sounds sensible, why would you want to wash it off.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:10 - 04 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The guy at the local mororbike shop says he covers his bike once and doesn't wash it until the spring. That sounds sensible, why would you want to wash it off.

Dirt sticks to it so the bike can look a right mess. If you can stand that then yeah, don't wash it. I used to use Waxoyl and that would get really dirty. It worked too but was hard to remove in the spring, unlike ACF.

Stubod
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:44 - 05 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF all the way....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 05 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt roads cause most of the corrosion. Water not so bad, water with an ioniser bad.
Washing the hoowur off using a hose (if not fecking frozen) keeps the salt ion thing to a minimum.
But then the water is better to be blown off before putting the hoower away.
The rust faeries work better when they are not being observed. Laughing

Leafblower blows most water off.

It's a phaph but it helps.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:41 - 07 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT85 will offer good protection right up to until it gets exposed to water and/or salt.
Use up the stuff for WD40 jobs and get at least some ACF50 or similar.
The XCP stuff did really well in the salt spray tests Bennetts did.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:04 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ACF50 because I bought a shit load of it. But in all honesty I reckon the best I've used is good old fashioned Waxoyl. Spray it on, leave till the spring and Gunk it off.

ACF50 isn't as robust.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:49 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticing whatever chain lube i'm using isn't lasting 50 miles in these conditions. Tried thicker FLT chain lube from work which worked well in the summer but checked earlier and rust spots on the links. Back to daily XCP pro for now although seems more like expensive GT85 to me.

Probably all comes out of the same batch.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:13 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT85 definitely isnt up to the job especially if your actually riding the bike through the winter

Ive got XCP clear, ACF50 non aerosol, and Muc Off HCB1, whatever you get I would go with the aerosol version unless you can apply with the compressor/paint gun, otherwise it just goes on really thick

If I had to pick one id probably stick with the XCP because of the proven Bennetts tests, but the Muc Off wasnt out when the test was done, its pretty similar to ACF50 that one, being quite oily, the XCP is a little bit more waxy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 10 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Noticing whatever chain lube i'm using isn't lasting 50 miles in these conditions. Tried thicker FLT chain lube from work which worked well in the summer but checked earlier and rust spots on the links. Back to daily XCP pro for now although seems more like expensive GT85 to me.

Probably all comes out of the same batch.

A Scottoiler (once getting over paying for and fitting) is easily the least hassle. Only needs diddled with maybe two or three times a year.

One of my bikes has an e-tronic scottoiler. I 'sometimes' wipe the chain with wee bit of rag soaked in scottoil oil, after a deep clean. But I don't deep clean as deeply or as often these days.

Chain stays shiny.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1