Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZX6R J1 running badly at low/mid revs *Fixed*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:59 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: ZX6R J1 running badly at low/mid revs *Fixed* Reply with quote

Morning all, I took the ZX6R out to work yesterday and in the morning absolutely fine then by the evening it had started running like a bag of shit under load at low to mid revs, starts ok and tickover is absolutely fine, revs up/down in neutral same as usual and settles ok. Cruises along fine.
There's like a hesitation/stutter when opening throttle almost like it's just about to run out of fuel, acceleration is poor and then as the revs pick up to around 8K it suddenly clears and goes like a rocket as usual, almost like a bad case of turbo lag, though when you ease back off and slow down it runs a bit rough and feels like it's then dropping a cylinder or two. Then cruise a bit and it runs ok again.
The fact that starting/idle and higher revs are really good makes me lean away from electrical.
I had the tank off last night and all vacuum hoses are ok, did notice that the back of the airbox was quite wet with fuel, maybe a carb is spitting back?
This is one of the yr 2000 600's with Mikuni carbs (cleaned/balanced 600 miles ago)
I guess the carbs will need to come off next but any ideas most welcome.

Edit: Finally got the blooming thing sorted today.
I took the carb manifolds off and the o-rings that seal them to the inlet manifold were flattened, one of them was actually thinner in one area than the groove depth!
Gave all the carbs another good clean out before refitting.
I also removed the secondary air system ‘Kleen’ as the vacuum valve was sticking and the rubbers starting to go; made up some blanking plugs in the workshop at work for the reed ports; I don’t have a cat in the exhaust to worry about overheating.
Running the best it has since I got it, really picks up nicely at lower revs too which is a bonus.

TLDR: did lots of stuff so not sure what finally fixed it!

Last edited by Fullers1845 on 18:15 - 09 Mar 2024; edited 3 times in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Re: ZX6R J1 running badly at low/mid revs, any ideas? Reply with quote

Fullers1845 wrote:

I guess the carbs will need to come off next but any ideas most welcome.

Yeah -seems likely, might be worth checking the carbs are in sync and the airfilter is good - otherwise it sound like some shit has lodged somewhere..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:41 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pump glitching? I think they have the electromechanical type of pump which have wearable parts in them, maybe pop the top off and inspect the points, maybe give them a clean up/file if they look ok.

You can get service kits for them. You can also buy cheap replacements for less than £20.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore your first assumptions. Laughing

Spark plugs are not dead expensive and should be replaced every (couple) of years anyway. Whether they 'look' OK or not.
Insulation breaks down, microscopically and some of the magic leaks out.

Easier to change than carb phaphery.
And in shitey issues like that, wee elimination jobs all add up.

The rule of do easy-shite-first.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:56 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll hopefully get a look in this evening, I've also read that the earlier Mikuni's are known for occasionally dropping a 'metering rod' (assume this is main jet needle?) leading to these symptoms.

Is the fuel pump likely to be tied in with the throttle position sensor on the end of the carb or is the TPS only for ignition advance?

Edit: I'll check the plugs for colour, they are only 600 miles old though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:43 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullers1845 wrote:

Is the fuel pump likely to be tied in with the throttle position sensor on the end of the carb or is the TPS only for ignition advance?

Uncertain.

The fuel pumps have a plastic cap on top and under that is a set of electrical points that open and close to cycle the pump. If the points are dirty or worn, they can work intermittantly. They seem to last for about 20 years then run into problems, I've had to replace the fuel pump on both my VFR750's (I swapped in a facet pump for the bling) and had to file the points on mrs stinkwheels 2000 CBR6. They are the same overall type of pump as you have.

Just you said it felt like it was running out of fuel and that would cause you to run out of fuel. Midrange is where it would happen. At low speed if it misses the connection every so often, there's enough in the float bowl. At full chat, the points are going to be closed all the time anyway. Midrange they'll be opening and closing a lot.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullers1845 wrote:
I'll hopefully get a look in this evening, I've also read that the earlier Mikuni's are known for occasionally dropping a 'metering rod' (assume this is main jet needle?) leading to these symptoms.

Edit: I'll check the plugs for colour, they are only 600 miles old though.

At 600 miles then the plugs are more than probably sound.

Stinkers pump contacts theory seems plausible though.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:31 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes definitely looking at that pump.
Just got to find some time Laughing , supposed to be working on the 101 year old bike for next year.
I really need to retire or win some money so I can get all this shit done...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs fine above 8k revs it’s not going to be fuel pump related, is it?

Ignition coils came behave really weirdly when they die. In my limited experience they’ll allow high speed and revs but deliver bogging under load.

In these moments I always say, “carb-icing” and I’m usually wrong but it’s worth consideration. That can also behave weirdly in terms of speed and throttle-opening.

My ‘99 (G2) ZX6R slowly developed a big ‘ol flat spot at 8-9k until I did a big refurb/clean/service at 60k miles. The carbs were clean but the Dynojet needles had some corrosion (albeit the shiny region might be the working part). I changed a lot during that refurb including the needles, but the problem was solved. However I can’t be sure what fixed it.
https://i.postimg.cc/nV6YJ91Q/IMG-0185.jpg

Incidentally the slide looks horrible but was quite smooth on all four.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:17 - 15 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
If it runs fine above 8k revs it’s not going to be fuel pump related, is it?

Could be with an electromechanical pump. It'll be on all the time at high revs, it'll be clicking in and out in the midrange. It's not generally the pump itself that fails, it's intermittant or poor contact on the points. Mine displayed similar issues, fine while barrelling along but it would hesitate as you wound on and eventually started conking out when you wound off.

Easy to inspect and file the points in any case. Hardest bit is getting the screw that holds the plastic lid on out.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 16 Nov 2023    Post subject: Re: ZX6R J1 running badly at low/mid revs, any ideas? Reply with quote

Fullers1845 wrote:
stuff

1995 zx6r here, with the same issue.
I have swapped plugs, replaced the pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, vacuum lines, rebuilt / refurb'd carbs.
Still with the Bogging while cruising mid-range.

I have not replaced the coils yet, they are next in my list.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:11 - 20 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Stinkwheel's suggestion of looking at the pump was a good one; the brass points were black and pitted and had worn at an angle so I spent some time with a fine needle file and they are much better.
So this has improved things but not much; it did suddenly dawned on me riding in today that last tuesday when this issue started the bike was left out in torrential rain for over 4 hours; being that the cap seal is 23 years old I'm a bit suspicious that I may have a little water ingress into the tank or some residual moisture on electrics.
It does seem to be gradually improving with running.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1