Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2001 Kawasaki ER5 - crackling sound from the CDI

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

matthewbyrom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:14 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: 2001 Kawasaki ER5 - crackling sound from the CDI Reply with quote

Morning all,

I was wondering if someone with more experience could advise on the following:

I have ended up with a Kawasaki ER5 (2001), which has an intermittent starting fault.

Sometimes you try & start her & you hear a faint crackling before finally the starter motor engages & the bike fires up.

You could try the starter button a few times before finally it works.

Some days it can start first time.

I've had to live with this fault for some months like this, but have had time to actually take a proper look.

Taking the seat off & having a proper listen to find out where the crackling is coming from, The crackling noise is from the CDI unit under the seat before it kicks in. Sounds to me like something is shorting out in there.

My instinct is to look for a replacement CDI, but I have heard chatter that the rectifier on the ER5 can be a weak point with these bikes & started thinking if it's a faulty rectifier instead causing the crackling from the CDI.

When I first got the bike, I noticed that all the lights that illuminate the dashboard had gone. Warning lights were OK, just the dash lights had gone.

I replaced all those, but browsing a few YouTube vids about the bike, a YouTuber commented that if the dash lights all blow, it's a sign that the rectifier is on the blink.

Now I have almost no service history with this thing, so I don't know if the rectifier has been replaced in its life & no one's bothered to replace the dash lights etc. I do know I've been running for some months like this now.

To anyone with experience of these bikes - Does any of this sound like the rectifier is the root cause of all this or am I better off going for a replacement CDI?

Thought it best to at least pose the question.

All the best.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:40 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's crackling when the engine isn't running, it can only be getting battery voltage. The reg/rec doesn't have anything to regulate or rectify until the engine is spinning.

Give the terminals a good clean first, might just be an intermittant connection.

As always with an EX500 based bike, have a look at the main fuse holder and the wires leading into it which carry all the switched live supply to the whole bike, they are prone to corrosion which can extend a good way along the wire under the insulation. You'll find it on the starter solenoid.

matthewbyrom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:32 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reg/rec doesn't have anything to regulate or rectify until the engine is spinning.

Ah! Understood - Thanks for that.

Quote:
Give the terminals a good clean first

Makes sense. Should have done that before posting...

Thanks for the tip about the corrosion. I did clean up what I could easily see around the starter solenoid, but I'll take a closer look to see if there's any corrosion further down the line, so to speak.

Much obliged!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That age of bike could have all manner of electrical issues by now so pressing a button and expecting it all to work is somewhat naive.
CDI crackling? mmm.... I'll believe that when I see it, Show us.
it could be contacts arcing or the starter relay bouncing cos
neglect, age, 'owner improvements' etc
Do all the suggested inspect check and clean of all the electricals grounding etc plus I'd have the starter out for at least the accumulated carbon dust removal and brush check

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:40 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A valid point. Are you sure it's the CDI and not the relay box?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:58 - 29 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crackling usually means a fair bit of arcing is happening. If someone was broken enough inside a CDI for that to happen, the bike wouldn't run.

I would be checking everything around the high current side. Battery cable connections, starter relay, cables to starter motor. If it's a thick wire, check that it's not loose.

A reg/rec failing so that you blow bulbs is possible, but unusual. That would be failing open, so it isn't regulating the voltage down to ~12v any more. They normally fail closed, turning into a brick.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 30 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the starter relay.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1