Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shoei Pinlock Obscuring View - New Helmet Recomendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ShhSleep
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:06 - 10 Jan 2024    Post subject: Shoei Pinlock Obscuring View - New Helmet Recomendations Reply with quote

Hi,

My Shoei Raid 2 Pinlock is really obscuring my view because it's only 9cm high where as the visor is 12cm. The top edge of the pinlock is right where I'm looking, it cuts my view in half.

It's about time I upgraded anyway, so I'm looking for something with a pinlock that covers a much larger area of the visor, ideally all of it that isn't creating the seal on the helmet.

The X Spirit III looks like the top edge of the pinlock is out of view, but it is a bit expensive.

I'm also thinking maybe the NXR2 would be good, but I can't actually find anything that proves to me that the pinlock edge on that won't get in the way either.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:20 - 10 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shape is you head, ffs?

If your eyes aren't looking out the middle of your visor your helment is either vastly too big or your eyes are in the middle of your forehead.

ShhSleep
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:34 - 10 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top edge of the pinlock sits about 1cm below the top of the viewing area of the visor. So it gets in the way unless I'm sat fairly upright.

I've found a video review of the NXR2 and it shows that the "max vision pinlock" is the same shape as the viewing part of the visor (the edge of the pinlock meets the seal of the helmet).

So I think I'm going to go with that unless anybody else has any input or other suggestions.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:48 - 10 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should just lift your head up.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 10 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really see the top of pinlock without looking up for it on my nxr2. Same visor fitted to to xspr Pro...race helmet. If you ride flat on the tank like a racer it'll still be fine.

I've only ever had one issue with pinlock and that is on my shark when glancing right and spotted the logo on the bottom of it.

Helmets and visors have moved on a considerable fuckton since the raid 2.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:14 - 11 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShhSleep wrote:
I've found a video review of the NXR2 and it shows that the "max vision pinlock" is the same shape as the viewing part of the visor (the edge of the pinlock meets the seal of the helmet).

So I think I'm going to go with that unless anybody else has any input or other suggestions.

Go to a shop, preferably one that sells motorcycle helmets so that you can try on as many as possible?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:33 - 11 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you're wearing your helmet tilted too far forward on your head. If you look in a mirror when wearing it, can you see your nose and your mouth? Because on my GT-Air 2 I can just see the top half of my nose and that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ShhSleep
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:08 - 11 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Can't really see the top of pinlock without looking up for it on my nxr2. Same visor fitted to to xspr Pro...race helmet. If you ride flat on the tank like a racer it'll still be fine.

I've only ever had one issue with pinlock and that is on my shark when glancing right and spotted the logo on the bottom of it.

Helmets and visors have moved on a considerable fuckton since the raid 2.

Cheers all but this is what I was wanting to hear.
I'll go with the NXR2.

Thanks again.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:17 - 11 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are wearing the helmet wrong or doing something daft like assuming you can stay tucked in so far you have to look upwards to see forwards, a different helmet won't help.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:21 - 11 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other possibility is... OP's helmet is WAY too big and it slips forward on his head, and he just thinks it's normal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 11 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a Schuberth C3 Flipper. The pinlock is a kunt when cuddling the tank at motorway speed. My new Schuberth C5 Flipper doesn't suffer the same problem as the pinlock cover almost 100% of the visor.

You could ask Pinlock if they can match an insert to your visor? Only costs an email to pinlock.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 11 Jan 2024    Post subject: NXR2 Reply with quote

It's definitely worth getting it fitted correctly at a dealer, get the internals spot on and it's a great lid. Transitions visor is also a game changer.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 11 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a stick-on visor insert (Bob Heath?) a while ago which I probably fitted a centimetre too low, and on the tucked R1 I’d sometimes experience the same distraction as the OP. My current helmet is an Arai QV with a proper Pinlock insert and when I first got it the little emblem on the lower RHS kept catching my eye, but you get used to both.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1