Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

*solved* Keeway supershite carb woes - draining too quickly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: *solved* Keeway supershite carb woes - draining too quickly Reply with quote

Backstory;

Bought a CHEAP keeway superlight, 2019 EFI model with 3500 miles on the clock. Non-runner because the ECU wasn't communicating with the fuel system - ignition side was fine.
Retrofitted a pre-EFI carb, intake and fuel tank and did 10k miles since July/August last year (600 mile round trips almost every other weekend), but it had a crack in the intake and ran lean, so I adjusted the carb to suit and never had an issue. I ordered a new carb and intake recently, and finally got round to fitting it, only to find it was completely the wrong intake. So I ordered another. And this one came with no vacuum port for the fuel tap. I fitted it anyway and butchered the tap to flow without vacuum. Went for a test ride, and the float bowl drained in about 4 miles of WOT on the dual carriageway. Gave it a minute or so and she fired right back up. I figured my butchering of the fuel tap was probably limiting flow, so got myself another non-vacuum tap (got a reserve now aswell), and fitted that this morning. I also set up the carb again with a colortune at various rev ranges and the bike runs absolutely fine, so I went for another test ride and got about 7 miles before the float bowl drained.
The carb is at a slightly different angle with the new intake, but is there something I could be missing as to why it's draining quicker than it's filling?
Cheers!

Last edited by TheMadRatter on 16:05 - 17 Jan 2024; edited 1 time in total

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:43 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention its a proper PZ26 carb, not cheapo, and proper honda fuel tap, not cheapo.

Gonna set the float heights again as the new carb angle is effectively "downhill" so the float would be higher (its towards the front), and that could be closing off supply too early.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much fuel was held in the bowl/pipe when the tap was turned off
for this test?
Without knowing how much fuel was used to get 7 miles
its all bollox

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:02 - 17 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
How much fuel was held in the bowl/pipe when the tap was turned off
for this test?
Without knowing how much fuel was used to get 7 miles
its all bollox

It was float. I stuck some clear line on the drain, opened the drain screw up and it was extremely low. Set the float heights and just done 30miles pinned at 10.5krpm (down to 8k on the hills) with no issues.l, thankfully.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1