Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Improving front light on a 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:39 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Improving front light on a 125? Reply with quote

As title really, using a cb125f for commuting and as it seems with pretty much all 125's, the front light is complete guff.

The high beam is fine for dark lanes, just would like more light on the road when riding with dipped beam.

I've 'upgraded' to an Osram bulb which did actually help quite a bit but still pants.

I'm limited by the 35w limit as the housing is only designed for the heat of CS1 type bulbs.

Other options I'm considering is an LED bulb or additional spot lights.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:10 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good quality LED bulbs are the way forwards.

I use these ones.
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/compact-led-headlight-h4-p43t-472-motorcycle-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED is the way.
You need to get one that the reflector can focus properly.
If not focused, much of the useable light can be wasted or produce flare which can affect other road users.

There are laws to be aware of relating to vehicle lighting.

HID was a big thing a few years ago. The HID bulbs rarely were a legal replacement for standard bulbs. But many people don't care about that detail. Laughing

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:46 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'll look into an LED setup.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:41 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Those fit a Tracer 700?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:35 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Those fit a Tracer 700?

If it has an H4 headlamp, then yes. You need to find somewhere to fit a small electronics box too. Looks like they have a fairing so you're golden, I cable tied mine to the forks in the headlamp casquette of my enfield bullet.

A word of warning, I know nothing about canbus wiring and I don't know if your bike has it. Giving canbus different bulbs than expected might precipitate a tantrum if it does. I was at the Dragon rally last year and one guys BMW landed up immobalised in the middle of the field because he'd fitted a trailer and wired up a single LED stop and tail light to it. Computer said no and continued to say no even after he disconnected it. Because this is progress obviously.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canbus uses a +2V/-2V signal bus and this can get the hump if summat
non Canbus interferes with it, but as with most things
there's a workaround using a resistor IIRC
Never had a Canbus vehicle to play with so I cant speak from personal experience though

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:37 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
]

If it has an H4 headlamp, then yes. You need to find somewhere to fit a small electronics box too. Looks like they have a fairing so you're golden, I cable tied mine to the forks in the headlamp casquette of my enfield bullet.

A word of warning, I know nothing about canbus wiring and I don't know if your bike has it. Giving canbus different bulbs than expected might precipitate a tantrum if it does. I was at the Dragon rally last year and one guys BMW landed up immobalised in the middle of the field because he'd fitted a trailer and wired up a single LED stop and tail light to it. Computer said no and continued to say no even after he disconnected it. Because this is progress obviously.

Have seen a youtube guy fit a set on a newer model Tracer but couldn't find his exact bulbs on the bay. He didn't have an extra box but the base of the bulbs was fat so it might've been in there. They were H7s iirc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest workaround for canbus is a bypass the canbus and install an 'analogue' system (Hooked up to the battery post.)
Or the online resistor thing.
BMW enthusiasts can even fit a fuse box retrofitted to their 'adventure chariots' (some of those fuse boxes are 'intelligent' too. Rolling Eyes )

BMW canbus will reset when the alien load has been removed.
The presence of canbus in BMWs bikes means that they do not have a fuse box. Over load is monitored by the canbus, which cuts power to any overloaded circuit.

My 110dB air horn shuts down the canbus if connected to the canbus horn circuit. The workaround is to fit a relay system controlled by the canbus horn circuit.
BMWs have a non-canbus 'Jack' thingy which allows one to plug in heated clothing or an air pump. So they did think of their owners.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The presence of canbus in BMWs bikes means that they do not have a fuse box. Over load is monitored by the canbus, which cuts power to any overloaded circuit.

My Bro's 1987 (?) R100 doesn't have a fuse-box eiher, well not really.
When the headlight feed wore through and shorted on the headstock. the switch gear and cables caught fire - 80 years on and 'Ze Germans' are still trying to sabotage us..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
...When the headlight feed wore through and shorted on the headstock. the switch gear and cables caught fire - 80 years on and 'Ze Germans' are still trying to sabotage us..

It's quite simple, really. The conductor wire doubles as the fuse. Overcurrent conditions are readily ascertained by the presence of fire. When that happens, your friendly BMW dealer will gladly effect the repair for a modest charge. Don't worry, be happy Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww Naw.... the Beemir Haters have stirred. Rolling Eyes

Very Happy
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1