BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Talk to me about CCTV stuff

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:47 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 6 blink cameras with no subscription and I just record to USB but I'm looking for some cameras I can mount up higher and also pop some at the end of the garden, my WiFi is not the best and short of buying another router I'll have to live with it.

For my wired setup, I just have a route to null on my firewall for that range, for the blinks they just sit online because it eases my wife's concerns when I'm away and she's home alone.

Camera should arrive Wednesday Sickpup so I'll give that a shot. This one is ideally for the back garden which has 2 sensing lights so should be OK but I'll keep an eye out for the NC ones as the front garden and drive have zero lighting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 11 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
sickpup wrote:
I also run an Annke hybrid NVR, the D981BB which was bought while I was still running BNC cameras. This was always an interim until I get a full on POE NVR likely to be a 16CH N46PCK or an N96PBD as either takes 2 hard drives and leave lots of room for expansion.

The Hik and Annke will work together from what I have read. At worst they will work together through the Onvif standard. I'm pretty sure Hik don't run any software lockout against Annke.

In regards to planning your system as I'm guessing you already know but bears saying for others, I would say make sure your NVR is physically secure but also physically reachable. I've found with most NVR's that you can do most things via a browser but initial setup it's just easier to be connected direct to it and there is always one thing you can't do via the browser.
I would also say do your best to keep away from wireless camera's. They seem like a really good idea except most need power running to them, in congested wifi areas you can get reduced visual quality and they are lower visual quality then POE wired of the same price whether that be resolution or frames per second.

Ideally you would run your NVR and router via a UPS. If you have Smartthings or some other smart system, add smart plugs for forced rebooting when away from the house in-case there is a problem.
If you have a hybrid router that takes a sim-card, with a little bit of work you can then be pretty much as secure as any commercial bespoke system.

Thanks. PoE is definitely the way to go for these things and if I do end up with a couple of PTZ cameras, I have no issue running a few small 12v/24v cables to those locations.

I definitely don't want wireless for this proper system and will be running cat6 all over the house shortly.

I do have an old Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P with a big HDD at the moment, I just haven't plugged it in yet. I am just going to keep my eye out for some second hand Annke or Hikvision cameras now I think. Adds up quickly when you need a few. Once I have at least 1 camera, I will set it up on my desk and play around with it, seeing what I can do for independant secure remote access.

That NVR will support loads of different brands of cameras plus any that use the ONVIF standard

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
That NVR will support loads of different brands of cameras plus any that use the ONVIF standard

Sweet.

I have just ordered an NC800 and a C800 for testing porpoises.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 12 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
I have just ordered an NC800 and a C800 for testing porpoises.

I use both, each is good and has it's place.

The C800 has a lower resolution, lower frame rate at its higher resolutions and the night vision isn't as good. I have one fitted high on a wall at 90 degrees to my front door facing down which gives a perfect view of what someone does to my front door i.e try the handle, put items in the letterbox etc, this is surprisingly important.
I had a smack head try every front door in my street a few years back. If I had this camera view then I wouldn't have had to turn up in court.

I also fitted cameras for someone years ago without this view just a camera aimed at the door from 3 metres away. This view meant a neighbour couldn't be prosecuted when they tried to break in as all that could be seen was their back.

I also have one inside, aimed at the front door which is a bit odd but someone breaks in they won't be expecting it and as I have movement detectors on all hallway lights I will get a good picture of them.

The C800 uses the standard Annke camera junction box available from Amazon here.

The NC800 is a considerably bigger camera and uses a Hikvison mount available from Amazon here.

Last edited by sickpup on 23:38 - 13 Dec 2023; edited 1 time in total

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 13 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I use both, each is good and has it's place.

The C800 has a lower resolution, lower frame rate at its higher resolutions and the night vision isn't as good. I have one fitted high on a wall at 90 degrees to my front door facing down which gives a perfect view of what someone does to my front door i.e try the handle, put items in the letterbox etc, this is surprisingly important.
I had a smack head try every front door in my street a few years back. If I had this camera view then I wouldn't have had to turn up in court.

I also fitted cameras for someone years ago without this view just a camera aimed at the door from 3 metres away. This view meant a neighbour couldn't be prosecuted when they tried to break in as all that could be seen was their back.

I also have one inside, aimed at the front door which is a bit odd but someone breaks in they won't be expecting it and as I have movement detectors on all hallway lights I will get a good picture of them.

The C800 uses the standard Annke camera junction box available form Amazon here.

The NC800 is a considerably bigger camera and uses a Hikvison mount available form Amazon here.

My intention with the C800 is the same as you. Above the front door.

NC800 will cover a larger area. Once tested, I will decide what model I need for other areas.

Thanks for the mounting bracket links. They don't make it super obvious which bracket works with each camera type so it's good to know you have confirmed fitment.

305m of cat6 ordered as well now.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 13 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 lens diameters for the each of the various camera type, wide and focused angles so keep that in mind.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:42 - 28 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend this camera as I needed something with PTZ and able to zoom a fairly decent range (500ft) onto the gates at the end of my property.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088B7Y3Q7/

My office was 10ft to the right of where it would be mounted, I just ran a n ethernet cable out the window and across to it and that did the job nicely.

Two way audio on it too. It did the trick until I had a 5 camera Hikvision 5mp colorvu system installed with a dvr, etc.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 28 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add for those with garages beyond the range of home WiFi there are 4G trail or wildlife cameras which can send images and even videos when triggered.

https://pakatak.co.uk/product-category/wildlife-cameras/
https://www.wildlifeservices.uk/cellular-trail-cameras

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 13 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having trouble with my video doorbell missing events. Max sensitivity set but it misses people walking up the path if they're quick. Apparently Ring is just as bad then I thought of this thread Smile

Fitted this TP-Link / Tapco:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CF2RLMR6

It's meant to be WiFi but given you have to run a power cable anyway I went with some CAT5 for networking instead. In theory it should do better than a doorbell, we shall see Smile

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 13 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Im now set up with a blink mini looking out of one window and a blink outdoor outside looking at the garage, both on a sync module with a usb stick.

I do get frustrated at how poor the motion detection can be even at max sensitivity, the max clip length can be annoyingly short also but for £45 its certainly a lot cheaper than a full PoE DVR setup thats constantly recording.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 13 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I've been having trouble with my video doorbell missing events. Max sensitivity set but it misses people walking up the path if they're quick. Apparently Ring is just as bad then I thought of this thread Smile

Fitted this TP-Link / Tapco:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CF2RLMR6

It's meant to be WiFi but given you have to run a power cable anyway I went with some CAT5 for networking instead. In theory it should do better than a doorbell, we shall see Smile

These are nice cams but if you have the motion tracking on and normal movement detection mode (not human) then the camera can get quite erratic when it rains.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 14 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
These are nice cams but if you have the motion tracking on and normal movement detection mode (not human) then the camera can get quite erratic when it rains.

In that case I'll switch off the motion tracking and just have the camera trained on my bike, thx Thumbs Up

<addendum> Powered and app linked up. The camera doesn't do PoE so I used a pair of cheeky splitters that use the spare pairs basic networking doesn't use in CAT5 to run power. Cable length is only a few metres, seems I've gotten away with it (with regards to any voltage drop.)

Anyhoo, pan & tilt are quite cool but I'm used to zoom as well Crying or Very sad First World Problems Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 20 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed with the quality of not just the camera picture but the Tapo app that controls it. Maybe not as slick as say wot Apple churn out but plenty of settings for me to fiddle with Smile

Anyhoo, off the back of it I'm fitting a Tapo doorbell and my eldest can have our old eufy doorbell. (Her no-name Chinesium video doorbell having recently packed up.)

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 20 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapo smart switches are also good.

I've not yet found a naff Tapo gadget

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reviews from people who bought Annke stuff?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Only tested by connecting to my NVR but it is clear they are identical high quality cameras to Hikvision.

Will be a few weeks/months before my final install but very happy with them.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:42 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Very good quality. Decent bits of kit for not much money. I'll consider buying another when my blinks die.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2