Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clutch not engaging

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pea
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:42 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Clutch not engaging Reply with quote

Hi All.

Looking to get a Motorhispania Furia 50 (AM6 Engine) back on the road after having been left for quite a few years…

After giving the carb a good clean out and fresh fuel it is now starting up and idling reasonably well - fuel and air mix needs a little adjustment.

However, it seems that the prolonged abandonment has resulted in the clutch lever appearing to have no effect engaging the clutch - I can see that it’s pulling the clutch arm but when I drop it into gear it stalls as if I’m not even pulling the clutch in. Can anyone shed any light on where to start to see what’s gone wrong ?

With the bike off and in gear, again pulling the clutch lever does nothing but I guess it should move freely and disengage the gear ?

Any help greatly appreciated, would be good to get it back running.

Thanks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:53 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plates are siezed together. Disasemble the clutch and re-assemble. you may need to buy new clutch plates if they disintegrate.

You could try putting it in gear, pull the clutch in and vigorously pushing the bike forward and back to try and free them but it's unlikely to work.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:55 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, stuck clutch plates.

They sometimes free off if you ride them a bit too. You'd need to paddle it along in neutral to get it rolling then select first and do clutchless changes. If they don't free off, you'd need to stall it when you stop or slip it into neutral just before you stop.

As said, if that fails, you just need to strip the clutch. Also as said, sometimes the friction plates can come apart when they free off, up to you if you want to risk it. It's a lot less risky in a 2-stroke because it just makes a mess of the gearbox oil where a 4-stroke would risk it carrying clutch plate material into the engine oilways.

Pea
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:27 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for the replies ! The more I was looking into the issue I did think it may be stuck clutch plates. I’ll have a go unfreeing by pushing or trying to give it a ride.

If not will strip it down, could probably do with flushing the oil anyways.

Thanks for the help !

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auld oil can absorb tons of moisture from combustion or the atmosphere. One reason it is replaced at service.
When we stack equipment for long time even 6months.
We drop the oil change the filters and run up to oil pressure is reached. Then shut it down plug every orifice and store it.

We should add VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) to the oil we use, but it is very expensive and not simple to find. And greenies don't like it.
We don't much bother.

If picky. Dessicated bags are popped into the crankcase and valve covers. Suspended by non corroding wire.
Then labels need to attached so the next silly fuss who start it know what to expect.

After a long store we change the oil, change the filters before start. The oil still absorbs moisture when new too.

Atmospheric moisture is the main issue.

So as said up there.
Strip the clutch, replace as required.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put it in 1st/2nd whilst pushing along it and jump on (or just use a hill). Would probably free off if you just brake almost to a stall (but not quite (with the clutch lever in) several times. Done it successfully myself. Other than opening the thing up which may not be necessary. It's not as harsh on things as revving it and dropping the clutch against a wall either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pea
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:25 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks All ! Will try and free it off but no harm in stripping and replacing the plates and oil - its more than likely way over due anyways !

Would Motul 5000 4T 10W-40, 4-Stroke Motor Oil be fine to replace the oil with ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motul-104054-Oil/dp/B00G5GKR2Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24M2ES28RNB26&keywords=104054&qid=1708089180&sprefix=104054%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-1&th=1

Looking to buy online so I dont have to hunt around the shops (unless anyone knows anything else best?)

Cheers.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pea wrote:
Thanks All ! Will try and free it off but no harm in stripping and replacing the plates and oil - its more than likely way over due anyways !

Would Motul 5000 4T 10W-40, 4-Stroke Motor Oil be fine to replace the oil with ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motul-104054-Oil/dp/B00G5GKR2Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24M2ES28RNB26&keywords=104054&qid=1708089180&sprefix=104054%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-1&th=1

Looking to buy online so I dont have to hunt around the shops (unless anyone knows anything else best?)

Cheers.

OFFS! I was waiting for that ask. Crying or Very sad

Really..... Technically.... as per OEM recommendation.

You need a non-car engine oil.
Specific motorbike engine oil is available from halfords. Some decent Motorfactors should sell the type too.

Car engine oil has added lubricants that 'can't fuk with friction materials.
1st Law of the Sea. If it can happen, it probably will happen.
It's easier to err on caution.

I only use Castrol Motorcycle/Motorbike Power 1 Racing 4 Stroke 4T 5W-40 Oil.
It's as dear AF, when compared to the chip-pan oil some folk use but my engines have come to no harm.

One must protect the wet clutch.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:45 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2-stroke so you want gearbox oil rather than engine oil. On account of it only going into a gearbox.

The manufacturer recommends Motoul Transoil 10w-30. Wear gloves, transmission oil is nippy on your skin.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motul-Transoil-Transmission-2-stroke-Gearbox/dp/B072MP1S11

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's a 2-stroke so you want gearbox oil rather than engine oil. On account of it only going into a gearbox.

The manufacturer recommends Motoul Transoil 10w-30. Wear gloves, transmission oil is nippy on your skin.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motul-Transoil-Transmission-2-stroke-Gearbox/dp/B072MP1S11

Transmission oil has sulfur added to help the metal parts maintain their surface quality under extreme shearing.

That create the unami smell of gear oil. Sick
I might be what causes irritation.
Some oils have additives that can penetrate skin very quickly.
Gloves for all mechanical oils.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1