Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK jobs, fuel shortgages etc. Brexit dividents?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck it. Don't pay to defend your country or NATO allies, leave it all to the Americans. How could that possibly go wrong?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:11 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a bit hypocritical of the US to refuse to respond if another country invokes article 5 when the US IS The only country to have ever invoked it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It would be a bit hypocritical of the US to refuse to respond if another country invokes article 5 when the US IS The only country to have ever invoked it.

I don't think a country that's actively fucked over everyone else in the entire world really gives a damn about principles and integrity.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
It’s an interesting insight into how Trump thinks.

It's an interesting insight into how desperate the mainstream media are.

"You don't pay, why should we defend you, do I look like a charity case to you?"

Translates to:

"Trump encourages Russia to attack NATO members!"

Inductive logic Sad

Still, it's the same Trump theme of reducing spending on external conflicts the USA has no business getting involved with. The man is pure evil!

NATO is not an economic union. It is security and defence union.

Having the guy who is supposed to be the leader of the free world sighting with the enemy and saying you will let the enemy do whatever the hell they want whilst that is literally an war on your supposed allies borders is a massive security problem.

Another reason why EU needs an army with ally like Trump. Fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:28 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, which country is in the defaulters list? Canada. Can you really see Trump not going to their aid if they are attacked?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And, which country is in the defaulters list? Canada. Can you really see Trump not going to their aid if they are attacked?

Some of them speak French, highly suspicious.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 12 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Now we’re getting to the real reason the EU wants an army. It’s not about borders or defence, it’s about trouncing anyone who threatens their economic model. It’s a short (goose) step from there to the Fourth Reich.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTFY

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Val wrote:

Now we’re getting to the real reason the EU wants an army. It’s not about borders or defence, it’s about trouncing anyone who threatens their economic model democracy.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
FTFY

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Val wrote:

Now we’re getting to the real reason the EU wants an army. It’s not about borders or defence, it’s about trouncing anyone who threatens their economic model Our Democracy™

FTFY Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 15 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Val wrote:
FTFY

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Val wrote:

Now we’re getting to the real reason the EU wants an army. It’s not about borders or defence, it’s about trouncing anyone who threatens their economic model Our Democracy™

FTFY Wink

Yes, he’s just made it even worse. The EU wants to replace the USA’s self-assigned role as The World Police; a role we’d already be better off without.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:01 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU cant organise quickly enough to be effective at anything other than a talking shop... and a common market ofc. Too many voices, too many opinions and too many laws requiring 100% consent. Thats their problem though.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
The EU cant organise quickly enough to be effective at anything other than a talking shop... and a common market ofc. Too many voices, too many opinions and too many laws requiring 100% consent. Thats their problem though.

That’s why EU leaders are planning the abandonment of unanimity voting where all countries states must agree, and bringing in qualified majority voting where they can be ignored. The Franco-German alliance will only need a couple of bitches and they’ll have a continental army at their disposal.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:46 - 16 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Another reason why EU needs an army with ally like Trump. Fact.

Why an army rather than a defence alliance?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 17 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

I agree about organising however that is their problem will not help the UK if Putin attacks Europe.

https://i0.wp.com/www.arespectfullife.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/burying-head-in-sand.jpg

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 21 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was call to prayer for a minute.

I think locking on to Trump's ineptitude is a straw man in the EU army debate.

If there was an EU army right now they would be doing nothing because
(a) they'd be debating on their uniforms
(b) they'd be debating on retirement age (26 if France is anything to go by)
(c) they'd be debating on who pays what (UK - you pay ALL)
(d) Surrendering (WW2 countries take note)
(e) Too busy blocking roads with tractors and sh1tting in the street

Thumbs Up

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit will be almost implemented now.

Another Brexit benefit kicks off on 30th of April.

Quote:
The government will introduce physical checks for plant and animal products coming into Britain from the EU on 30 April 2024

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/27/its-impossible-to-plan-uk-importers-braced-for-storm-at-ports-amid-new-brexit-checks

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Quote:
The government will introduce physical checks for plant and animal products coming into Britain from the EU on 30 April 2024

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/27/its-impossible-to-plan-uk-importers-braced-for-storm-at-ports-amid-new-brexit-checks

Cool. An opportunity and incentive to produce more in this country.. more British jobs for British workers. Thumbs Up

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way - looks like they started it..

Quote:
The catchily named border target operating model (BTOM) will look to mirror the controls the EU has for UK companies trying to export to mainland Europe.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:54 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was particularly loving the mayor in Brussels trying to cancel a mainstream political party conference being attended by leading business people and elected politicians because he doesn't agree with their views. When he didn't get his own way after persuading the two original venues not to hold it, he tried it on by telling the caterers they would never work in his town again if they did food for it.

Central European democracy in action right there.

He seems to have a particularly skewed understanding of the difference between "right" and "Far right" but I suppose from a position so far on the left it's bordering on communism, everything looks far right?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...everything looks far right?

Anything that doesn't involve a State appointed Commissar is by definition "Far Right" hence the mayor's reaction.

Quote:
Everything within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Succinctly describes the EU I think. Where have I heard that quote before... Thinking

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Val wrote:

Quote:

Cool. An opportunity and incentive to produce more in this country.. more British jobs for British workers. Thumbs Up

That will actually mean less jobs for British workers. Unless you live in cloud cuckoo land where the UK is compltely disconnected from international trade and supply chain Laughing

For example agricultural businesses which import seedlings from the EU. Or any other British manufacturer that use EU supply chain. Make UK, representing manufacturers, said in December that 90% of firms it surveyed still faced problems doing business with the EU with customs and clearance is the biggest barrier.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

That will actually mean less jobs for British workers. Unless you live in cloud cuckoo land where the UK is compltely disconnected from international trade and supply chain Laughing

The EU started the disconnection with their insistance on these rules UK farmers now want reciprocation. From the Guardian article you have referenced..

Quote:
It is also under pressure from some UK industries, such as meat and poultry farmers, that felt no trade border meant they were hamstrung in two markets, facing higher hurdles to export and having to compete domestically with EU importers that had unfettered access to the UK.

Minette Batters, the National Farmers’ Union (NFU) president, says that many meat and dairy farmers feel this way: “They want to see that, on this side, EU exporters are facing the same gamut of checks that they [British firms] have had to.”

Brexit is here to stay for a good while, prices food prices are still as cheap as anywhere else in Europe. UK farmers and producers will step up to the mark to fill any gaps. Show me some evidence of a net jobs loss. Sure there may be a shift from importers/wholesalers to producers but that is generally good for self sufficiency.
I would rather we dealt with these relativley minor issues than suffer the malaise that currently surrounds much of the EU.. See Germany's stagnation and 17 billion budget gap.

e.g. https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/why-is-germanys-economy-struggling-2024-2024-01-08/

[/quote]

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:38 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, the EU are being dicks for the sake of it with regard to cross-channel goods.

My colleagues and I deal with a few exports. So a sealed container of foodstuffs going through France for onward travel to outside the EU. That means the contents have been inspected and certified and a numbered seal applied to the container.

It had the wrong vehicle registration number on one of the documents. Everything else correct. Now what I'd expect to happen is the container be held at customs until new paperwork could be issued. There's no question about the container and its contents.

What I wouldn't expect is French customs officials to break the seal, casually open the container and tramp about in it. It's got foodstuffs in it and they are not even for use in the EU, just transiting on their way to Ukraine. If there was a question about its contents, there's a procedure for inspecting these things so it can be opened in a suitably hygeinic environment, inspected by someone considered competant to issue new documentation then re-sealed. Not rummaged through by some flatfoot on a power trip.

As it is, the whole lot is going to land up in a skip. As soon as they took that seal off without a competant person being present, the chain of custody was broken.

This isn't even something different to what happened before Brexit, the documentation is the same because it's a third country export. What has changed is the attitude of the French.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 18 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
What has changed is the attitude of the French.

Oh, that hasn't changed in the slightest. They were just forced to be polite when we were in the EU. We should have stayed in, just to spite the French.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 18 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Oh, that hasn't changed in the slightest. They were just forced to be polite when we were in the EU. We should have stayed in, just to spite the French.

De Gaulle, who gladly took shelter in a Soho pub during the war, voted 3 times in the 60s to keep us out of the EEC. Rolling Eyes

This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13