Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:55 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...some good HSS drills.

I prefer cobalt ones myself... dearer obviously, but all the HSS bits I ever owned all seemed to be made of cheese.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
...some good HSS drills.

I prefer cobalt ones myself... dearer obviously, but all the HSS bits I ever owned all seemed to be made of cheese.

You may not have noticed Stinky's word that I have emboldened.

tyr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:28 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it wasn't a MIG welder, it ended up being an angle grinder with a 9cm wire brush but the point is well taken, some of these tools can be hazardous. He found some MANNOL 4-Stroke Agro SAE 30 at the back of the garage, so that's the oil sorted. And we bought a box of 200 plasters. This is the era when Health and Safety conformance gets more brownie points than successful performance.

I note the attraction of not rounding nuts. It had not occurred to me that nuts could be rounded but I bow to experience. Isn't it what happens when you use an Imperial Socket on a Metric Component? I don't give Imperial house-room, it's simpler that way.

We've been thinking about shelving. I've several of these - "Heavy Duty 5 Tier Garage Shelving Unit (180 x 90 x 40cm) Boltless Racking Bay" - in side rooms from years back but he can have a couple in his work area. Some people think they're flimsy but I quite like them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tyr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:45 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Stools are good.
I've slept on the matter and I'm sticking with canvas camping seats. Any stool that would accommodate my nethers would be more like a robust coffee table.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:51 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those PVC dipped gloves are great for working with a wire wheel, it skims off them if you accidentally touch.

Also thick trousers. I've had my trousers nailed to my legs by bits of wire wheel before today.

tyr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:01 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Those PVC dipped gloves are great for working with a wire wheel, it skims off them if you accidentally touch.

Also thick trousers. I've had my trousers nailed to my legs by bits of wire wheel before today.

Amazon proffered "Women's Long Gloves Wet Look", I suspect I chose the wrong keywords.

Mountain warehouse have lined thick winter hiking trousers, I'm not sure they'd stop well-flung wire though. I'll ponder.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:06 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things.
https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/user/products/large/Supertouch_2332_Full_Dip_PVC_Gloves_(1).jpg

For the trousers, a boiler suit is fine. I have a habit of wearing an old, skanky pair of tracksuit bottoms in the workshop (so I don't get oil on any "good" trousers) but they don't do much to stop ballistic wire brush bristles, weld spatter, angle grindings etc.

tyr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:10 - 02 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
These things.
Ah. Tear-off condoms, I remember them.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:13 - 09 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
You may not have noticed Stinky's word that I have emboldened.

Is there such a thing as a good HSS drill? No matter whether I've bought so-called decent ones or Aldi's gold painted finest I have always found them to be pretty crap when compared to cobalt ones.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 10 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:

Is there such a thing as a good HSS drill? .

DeWalt Extreme - drill bits are one iinstance of you get what you pay for.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:55 - 10 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using bosche ones just now and they are fine. Cobalt drill bits are a bit expensive to let a 12 year old loose with.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 10 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
Stufff

Are you dangerous if we get you in our mouths?

OOh you are awful !

just a choking hazard dearie

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 10 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I've found with cobalt drills (other than cost) is they are liable to snap if you put any lateral pressure on them compared with HSS. Other than that, wonderful bits of kit.

As far as HSS drills go I buy them in at least packets of 10 from toolstation or screwfix and bin them when they go blunt. I cannot be arsed sharpening drill bits unless they are large, expensive blacksmiths drills and the like.

I used to buy Eclipse drill bits but they got expensive and difficult to get from reputable plces. I wouldn't trust them to be genuine on ebay.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 10 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

A 3/4 drive socket set will do nicely

!!!! He's working on a 125, not an earth mover. Wink

stupid figner mistake corrupted
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2