Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha Neos - cover won't come off

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lisa-
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:47 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Yamaha Neos - cover won't come off Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha Neos 4T 2010, and I am trying to change the V-belt, but the second cover just won't come off. It seems like it is completely stuck. It has probably not ever been removed.

This video shows how to do it, and my scooter is the exact same one. I have removed the first two bolts and the first cover. I then removed the next 6 bolts. Is the video missing something?
https://youtu.be/PhyXRIlGMnA?si=fP55D7DKy1Jyu6rn&t=27

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:18 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things could be holding it. It doesn't show it on the video (and doesn't show them replacing it) but I'd imagine there is a paper gasket under that cover. They rarely come away cleanly in one piece and can stick to the gasket surface on either side.

A google shows there is such a thing so plan for having to laboriously scrape the bits of the old one off without dropping them inside the engine or damaging the gasket surface (I find a stanley knife blade, plenty of time and something decent on the radio is best for this job) and plan for replacing the gasket with a new one. Be pleasantly surprised if it all comes away clean and you don't have to.

If someone else has been in there before you, they may have clagged gasket sealing compound all over the place instead of or on top of the gasket and effectively glued it down. It'll let go eventually unless they were really fuckwitted and used a setting compound and you'll have even more mess to clean up (This is years of cynicism and having seen the work previous owners have done to my bikes kicking in).

It has two steel dowel pins over the bolt holes at the 3 and 9 o' clock positions which are what locate the cover in the correct position when it's fitted. If it's going to be stuck anywhere, this is where it will be stuck because they can gall slightly into the aluminium.

When removing a cover, I generally try to pull against it as much as possible while tapping at the joint round and round the edges with a rubber mallet and it usually lets go eventually. You'll know when it's successful because you'll hear the sound of the tapping change to a more hollow note.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A heat gun might work to soften any old gasket and any shite the cover has been glue on with.

There is stuff called gasket remover. It is sprayed onto old gasket, is softens it and it can almost be wiped off.
Shove loads of bits of rags down any gaps before cleaning begins. Then you can pull them out with any detritus you scrape off.

And if you use any compound, put it on the part that can be removed.
Normally, OEM gaskets don't need any compound.
A dot of superglue here and there can help position any arsey gaskets on place until the parts are joined and buttoned up.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:27 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

There is stuff called gasket remover. It is sprayed onto old gasket, is softens it and it can almost be wiped off.

You must be using different stuff to all the ones I've tried. Any I've tried did nothing to help remove the gasket, only made the garage smell bad and covered the gasket in noxious chemicals I don't want on my skin. Effectively just making the job harder and more unpleasant.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

You must be using different stuff to all the ones I've tried. Any I've tried did nothing to help remove the gasket, only made the garage smell bad and covered the gasket in noxious chemicals I don't want on my skin. Effectively just making the job harder and more unpleasant.

I used it years ago, we used to just use a broken blade off a stock cutting hacksaw. Hard HSS keeps a razor edge for ages.

The spray I used was very effective. Impressive. But a scraper is free. Just requires some elbow grease.

Heat softens gaskets.
Unless they've been baked on by a serious engine overheat.

Lots of gaskets use leather in their ingredients. Perhaps the spray I used was some sort of enzyme or alkaline.

lisa-
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:07 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber gasket sticks a bit out (as it is supposed to) and I am able to pull it out a bit more som places. There doesn't seems to be any glue on it, and it doesn't look damaged.

lisa-
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:47 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Couple of things could be holding it. It doesn't show it on the video (and doesn't show them replacing it) but I'd imagine there is a paper gasket under that cover. They rarely come away cleanly in one piece and can stick to the gasket surface on either side.

A google shows there is such a thing so plan for having to laboriously scrape the bits of the old one off without dropping them inside the engine or damaging the gasket surface (I find a stanley knife blade, plenty of time and something decent on the radio is best for this job) and plan for replacing the gasket with a new one. Be pleasantly surprised if it all comes away clean and you don't have to.

If someone else has been in there before you, they may have clagged gasket sealing compound all over the place instead of or on top of the gasket and effectively glued it down. It'll let go eventually unless they were really fuckwitted and used a setting compound and you'll have even more mess to clean up (This is years of cynicism and having seen the work previous owners have done to my bikes kicking in).

It has two steel dowel pins over the bolt holes at the 3 and 9 o' clock positions which are what locate the cover in the correct position when it's fitted. If it's going to be stuck anywhere, this is where it will be stuck because they can gall slightly into the aluminium.

When removing a cover, I generally try to pull against it as much as possible while tapping at the joint round and round the edges with a rubber mallet and it usually lets go eventually. You'll know when it's successful because you'll hear the sound of the tapping change to a more hollow note.

I knocked around the edges a little bit. After that it came off pretty easily Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisa- wrote:
The rubber gasket sticks a bit out (as it is supposed to) and I am able to pull it out a bit more som places. There doesn't seems to be any glue on it, and it doesn't look damaged.

It's is normal to replace gaskets.
Their purpose is to fill any gaps between mating parts to keep stuff in or out.

They are designed to deform during assembly to fill the gaps and provide a tight seal.

The deformation is usually permanent. They will not provide such a good seal if re-used.

They are cheaper and much easier to fit at-the-time of assembly rather than after assembly when disassembly, clean-up and reassembly would be required.
Coz the re-used gasket leaks.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisa- wrote:
I knocked around the edges a little bit. After that it came off pretty easily Very Happy

Good job Thumbs Up If the gasket is undamaged you may be able to use it again, certainly the CVT gasket on my Honda Fusion is meant to be re-usable anyway. One thing I would replace are those dowel pins if there is any sign of corrosion on them; they won't cost much and the longer they're left the harder it will become to get that cover off.

Top tip for getting the gasket to line up on re-assembly... I have a couple of old tyres and garage sofa cushions that I lean the scoot on at about 45 degrees; makes it much easier. Obvs drain most of the fuel out if the tank is full before doing this.

Stinkwheel wrote:
...unless they were really fuckwitted...

The first CVT I did the belt on was the 400 Burgman I had after passing my test. Some hamfist had taken a large chunk out of the cover in trying to remove it; the marks on it looked like they'd used an axe to get it off. Then they not only repaired it with Araldite and got it on the mating surfaces, but put it back together using bath sealant instead of a gasket. I finally got it off, using a combination of heat, lubricants, leverage and unreasonable force... at that moment I could have cheerfully killed whoever was responsible.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1