Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance bastarts, who to complain to?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:33 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Insurance bastarts, who to complain to? Reply with quote

December 2023 I got rear ended, ooh err matron, whilst sat stationary at a roundabout waiting to go. Ditzy bimbo got out saying "oh I thought you were going to go so I didnt stop".

Virtually no damage to my car, cracked bumper and thats it. I would have been happy with getting it fixed and sending her the bill. But no, she wanted to go through insurance. Fine. Open and shut case, fully her fault, easy. Right? No.

This has turned into a colossal ball ache.

Dragged on for a few months, eventually paid up. Insurers decided a 20yr old BMW wasnt worth repairing so made it a Cat N write off. Paid me best part of £6k for the car, so I took kept it and took it to a body shop and paid them £300 for a bumper repair and respray. Quids in.

Case closed.

Except no.

Fast forward to trying to insure my bike this year after SORN'ing it for winter and letting the insurance lapse, and its turned into an absolute pain in the ass.

First company I tried through a comparison site, put down all the details correctly (or so I thought) of a non-fault claim. A week later they phone me up saying theyve done some checks on my policy and the motor insurance database says I have a "costs not recovered, at fault" claim against my name. And whilst theyve looked into it theyve also decided the garage I keep my bike in doesnt count as a garage because it has wooden doors on google maps street view. So I can pay an extra £400 adjustment to my policy price, or would I like to cancel the policy. Jog right on, cancelled the policy.

Phone up the insurers who I made the claim with, and they said its not their problem its with a claims management company now to recover the costs as the other party insurers are refusing to pay up. Hence it being a "costs not recovered, at fault" claim until its settled.

Phoned the claims company, they wanted nothing to do with me and said I should call the insurers.

Called the insurers again, and they want nothing to with me either. Told me to email the claims team who are simply ignoring my emails. Getting automated "we aim to reply within 48hrs" replies then nothing.

Begrudgingly caved and took out another policy, this time saying the accident was "at fault" and this of course basically tripled my quotes, but I need the insurance. Cnuts.

Who do I complain to, how do I get this sorted? Or am I just bent over and taking it until the claim is finally closed (if ever) and stuck declaring this for the next 5 years?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:29 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance Ombudsman

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:32 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you given a courtesy car / hire car for the time yours was off the road?

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:36 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Yes, had one for about 2-3 weeks whilst waiting for insurers to fanny about writing my car off, then the body shop had my car, doing it as mates rates in their spare time

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:24 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a complaints procedure which should be in your policy documentation, follow this then ombudsman. If you haven't clearly said it is a complaint, they will not have counted it as one and will continue to fob you off. Once a complaint is started, they have a timescale within which to resolve it, then it can go to the ombudsman. It costs them money to have something go to the ombudsman regardless of wether your complaint is upheld or not.

Start your correspondance by saying this is a complaint. Then clearly describe the nature of the ciomplaint and what you want them to do about it. If you really want to put the shitters up them, do it in writing. Get proof of postage (which is free) and attach this to a copy of your letter, then you can show the paper-trail to the ombudsman.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:21 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Ste wrote:

Yes, had one for about 2-3 weeks whilst waiting for insurers to fanny about writing my car off, then the body shop had my car, doing it as mates rates in their spare time

Chances are that's the problem as lots of so called courtesy cars are on surprisingly expensive credit hire agreements.

Claims management company sent the car hire bill to the insurance company who then sent it straight back with a note saying "lol we're not paying that much".

It should get settled at a lower price than the bill.

Do what stinkwheel said.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurers and accident management companies are gangsters.
May take a long time to unpick this mess.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:26 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stinkwheel suggests.

Procedure and evidence is a great hammer to hit bureaucracy with.

Admitting to a fault claim was unwise. (May even be a problem as if untrue insurance don't likey.)
It's recorded and must be declared now for 3 years on every insurance application/proposal for any vehicle.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
As stinkwheel suggests.

Procedure and evidence is a great hammer to hit bureaucracy with.

Admitting to a fault claim was unwise. (May even be a problem as if untrue insurance don't likey.)
It's recorded and must be declared now for 3 years on every insurance application/proposal for any vehicle.

Unfortunately I had little choice, needed insurance and this is the only way I can get it. Ive tried with two other companies declaring it as a non-fault, and each time within a week I get an email from them asking for a huge additional payment or cancel the policy, because as far as the motor insurance database is concerned Ive got an at fault claim next to my name. And of course theres a hefty cancellation fee too. Paid £140 for the year with Bikesure, who then wanted either an additional £300 to adjust it to a fault claim, or £50 cancellation fee plus another £37 for "time on policy" for less than a weeks insurance. If an annual policy is £140 how is less than a week costing so much? Not like theres anything I can do about it, paid in full up front so theyve got my money and just refund as little as they want.

I never actually believed there was a central database of this kind of thing, thought it was the companies fear mongering you into paying up, like TV detector vans, seeing as the lazy companies ask you for proof of no claims every year. Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall ever having to physically provide no claims proof.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all dirty bra studs. Last year I got a quote for 325ish for my new bike which was the exact same model as my old one. Then when I wanted to start the policy a few days early because of a blown head gasket on the old bike they ran it through again and the premium nearly doubled. Their excuse was because they had out the length of ownership as 6 months instead of 6 years. I told them to poke it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I don't recall ever having to physically provide no claims proof.

It is normal for insurers to ask for Proof of NCD for new business.
There is a database that has a magnificent collection of data but only available to insurers.

You NCD is on the database.
Asking for it may just be policy of individual brokers/insurers to corroborate database info.

OP still need to challenge the third party insurance stance.

This falls into the treacherous area of modern day insurance industry standard.
They sell insurance to help battle this sort of thing. I think an additional £30/year. Many folk don't bother as they assume the industry is honourable.
It is not.
Many years ago standardsbwere better but premiums were higher.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:23 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems "ombudsman complaint" was the magic word.

Within 24 hours of a sternly worded email I got a reply from the "operations support manager" saying it was checked and would be corrected immediately and an updated claims history statement for my new insurers saying its a closed, non fault, costs recovered, claim.

Thanks for the magic words Very Happy
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1