Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seat rebuilding - DIY tips?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Seat rebuilding - DIY tips? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of making a slightly more comfortable seat for the Husky and wondering if anyone has any tips. I'll probably start with a second-hand Svartpilen seat:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/p98AAOSwnxxljFRc/s-l640.jpg

As that cuts the work in half, literally Smile Might keep the original cover, might buy something jazzy, not really important.

Here's a back profile:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/tIsAAOSwKBBljFRb/s-l640.jpg

Any tips for materials, layers, tools, etc. ? Something like a firm foam base and a gel layer on top?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:01 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat gun is your friend for covering it. And a staple gun. And a staple remover so you can use tacking staples to hold it roughly where it wants to be and pull it down the rest of the way once it's more in order then take them out.

People generally use the high density upholstery foam made from chopped bits of other foam. An old fashioned electric carving knife is the ideal tool for shaping it, but they are getting hard to find these days.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat gun - check, staple guns - check. This is why I thought I might give it a go Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:00 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be hard to cover, it's mostly flat. I'd even expect to get the back all in one piece. I'd probably start there and work forwards.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK to put foam and a cover on a seat.
The skill is to put the foam where is works best.
And some foam will compress to a solid so cushioning is lost.
What is on the original?

I'm sure there is a compression index for foam.
It's not rocket surgery.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put on offer on a decent looking eBay seat, most likely they'll accept come the morrow. We'll see what it's made of.

The back end in the photo looks fat but I doubt the bit you actually sit on comprises even half an inch of foam. Dirt bikes seats are more luxurious. In contrast, the old fella's bought a new seat for his Breakout:

https://saddlemen.com/image/cache/catalog/data/product/813-27-029LS-1000x1000.jpg

Two-wheeled armchair.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:00 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see how this comes together. May I suggest this might be a good topic for a "show and tell" post.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offers have been accepted on the eBay parts. My Vitpilen seat is a single "long bench" whereas the Svartpilen is in two bits. I'm 99% sure the two systems are interchangeable Shifty Anyhoo, premium effort on the front riders half but no need to reupholster the rear pillion part Smile

Be interesting to see what the faux-leather/vinyl is like unpicked and laid flat - see how the ppl punting custom covers justify >£200.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I recovered my XJ550 seat a year or so back. The top inch or so of foam was old and 'crusty' so I cut it out and replaced with memory foam. seems better but not ridden it for a long journey yet.

2) I also recovered theFZ seat but I used glue (like CT1) rather than staples cos I didn't have staple gun at that point. This also worked OK but I used lots of clamps and spring clips to keep the cover taut while the glue set- I also did it in stages starting at the front.

3) You can buy 'two way stretch' vinyl which stretches in err, two planes. this will make your life easier.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI there's a factory option for an "ergo seat" something like €180 but no one seems to rate it as any more comfortable, just looks jazzy. I mention it as for covers the only off-the-peg option seems to be hand-made Italian leather at > €200 Shocked Given I can't see any cheaper offerings I'm assuming everyone's making their own seat covers! The second-hand seat combo turns up tomorrow so in the meantime I'm enjoying a nice cup of tea and researching how people make custom seat. Fuck me, what a rabbit hole Sad

Gel inserts seem to attract mixed opinions: plebs rave about 'em and custom seat makers suggest you wouldn't need such things if the work was done correctly in the first place. Oh, and apparently you want orthopaedic gel not the cheap eBay stuff Thinking

As for the foam base, I thought I'd look at how my Noble gaming chair is built and they boast they use 60kg/m3 high density foam (~3.7lb/ft3) but that doesn't take into account the firmness Rolling Eyes Standard heavy duty upholstery foam is ~3.5lb/ft3 in comparison.

But wait! Seat covers are billed as "mostly water resistant" so maybe what you actually want is waterproof "Closed Cell Polyethylene Foam." Translation: yoga mat Wink And of course the density/firmness is completely different to upholstery foam.

Maybe top it all off with a memory foam layer and it's starting to look like one of those epic sandwiches Shaggy makes in Scooby Doo Very Happy

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to do my SV seat and found this site pretty helpful. It's not on the internet anymore though so you've got to use the archive to view it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190228143932/https://diymotorcycleseat.com/foam-types/

Never did get around to doing the seat. I bought some yoga mat to use as a base and then a thin Polyurethane foam to go over the top just to smooth things out. I don't really want a super soft seat I just wanted it a little wider to spread the weight more

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I was going to do my SV seat and found this site pretty helpful. It's not on the internet anymore though so you've got to use the archive to view it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190228143932/https://diymotorcycleseat.com/foam-types/

Never did get around to doing the seat. I bought some yoga mat to use as a base and then a thin Polyurethane foam to go over the top just to smooth things out. I don't really want a super soft seat I just wanted it a little wider to spread the weight more

Excellent find! Bookmarked Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:25 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I used this stuff to cover my seat and it was fine. It's extremely tough and moderately stretchy. I don't think you have many complex curves on yours that would demand it being stretchier.

I could have gone a grade thinner for mine because I struggled then gave up getting it to stretch over the front. I feel if I'd had slightly stretchier vinyl or the ability to tack it with staples to the base and work it into position, I'd have got it all in one piece. The rivett on metal base worked against me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333800895790

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ADCreHe2h73pa2Ip0Qgoh8cWakWct7AYNTNxOMaGYBbcPGP21x33jX87auAj8EgGtMGxIr76ISt70GCKS-XHEmOaE8hsGMJD9KsHx_wmcv9zPLK3V7vD8_ot6p7AHx_CTRSneghrBmGCFiGvScFooUtGet3g=w1547-h870-s-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ADCreHebN09CNeC5x9GEw5aXmD58pp-pfOsIVjST6AyzqdhEqO127CJRjj_CRHPvOG0lBwge8Te3LmAJSJKvBB1LcZxh_5sigcKmTIOHCynmoKj-PrDZin2P_oc0OLNAQgrgp8l1msn4YZTpVoC8AMnod1j_=w1547-h870-s-no

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air powered / electric staple gun if you can find one and pay attention to the length of the staples and also the type. A good small hammer can be useful to flatten any proud ones. Also keep an eye on the underside for any place the base of the staples might come into contact with bodywork.

Other than that - prepare to sweat, it's pleasantly hard work.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second-hand seat (front and back parts) just turned up and I think I've got quite lucky. For what's supposedly a 2021 part the front bit barely shows any evidence of use, certainly I can reuse the cover if needed. (BTW I didn't buy the one pictured.)

TBH the only alternative I'd consider would be Alcantara EXO in either black or charcoal. Seems a bit OTT though, more of flex "oh yah, custom seat, donchaknow" and that wouldn't square with my low-key, humble and unpretentious persona Wink

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:18 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as some find him marmite, Delboys garage did a video today on refoaming a seat. Using camping roll-up mats/yoga mats. (closed cell foam)

and also fwiw, I recovered my seats in 4 way stretchy vinyl off ebay (about £15 worth) and a staple gun all by myself. Needed heat from a hairdryer to get it to stretch nicely around trickier curves but did it on the floor while watching tv and didnt take half an hour.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1