Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

z900 A2 Cat Delete

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ryan Kerry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:13 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: z900 A2 Cat Delete Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an A2 compliant z900 with stock headers and an SC-project slip on. I have been thinking about getting new headers but they look to be very expensive. An alternative would be to just get a mid pipe and cut the cat off.

However, I am curious to know if the bike would then need retuning in order to smooth the fuelling out? and how easy this process may be?

Any ideaas?

Thanks

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might we know why you want such a modification? A more free-flowing exhaust might* increase the power output of the engine - however slight - and then it won't be A2 compliant.

*Adding 2 or 3 bhp isn't going to make much odds to most bikes but AFAIK the A2 is a hard power limit.

Ryan Kerry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:57 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only want the modification for a better sounding exhaust - not the increased power. Like you said it would only be a slight increase, if any at all.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:15 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Kerry wrote:
I would only want the modification for a better sounding exhaust - not the increased power. Like you said it would only be a slight increase, if any at all.

Style over substance, eh?

Wanker...

Ryan Kerry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:23 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shush Nobby

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:36 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Kerry wrote:
Shush Nobby

No.

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Kerry wrote:

I see from your other posts that you've only just got your licence back after it was revoked for getting 6 points within the 'new licence' two year period, yet you seem like you want to draw attention to yourself. AND don't forget, those 6 points are on your licence for 3 years. Two more tickets and you'll face another ban.

What you're proposing to do is a bad idea because:-
A/ With a noisy exhaust you are making yourself a target for a bored copper and if overly loud could leaves you open to potential charges.
B/ You bike could fail it's MOT on either the noise or the fact the exhaust is not 'approved'.
C/ If you're involved in an incident and the police deem worthy of full investigation and they find you bike now produces more power than it should you're in serious trouble. No licence and no insurance could be the least of your worries.
D/ Cat off and change the exhaust. You are going to tell your insurance company aren't you. These are serious modifications and could nullify your insurance in the event of a claim or them finding out.
E/ I'm sure others can add more.

Nobby the Bastard was to the point, I'll be politer and say you need to take a look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what's going on here.

Last edited by Capt Sisko on 19:57 - 19 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's sum this up politely: why not just keep your head down for the next 24 months? A little self-restraint might be therapeutic Wink

Ryan Kerry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:08 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't realised I was asking psychoanalysts for bike advice nor am I looking for a deeper understanding of the law.

It's simply wanting to enjoy the sound of my bike a little more. The consequences are my responsibility and despite how truly appreciative I am of your concerns, the part about the retuning is of interest

Yours sincerely

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:38 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Sisko wrote:

two more tickets and you'll face another revocation of your full licence and a ban.

FIFY

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Kerry wrote:
It's simply wanting to enjoy the sound of my bike a little more.

If you want answers regardless of consequences, so be it.

You have to look at overall flow - air in and exhaust out - and what/where the most significant restriction is.

On my XSR the major restriction was a slightly convoluted snorkel intake. Dropping the cat downpipe for a straight-thru' improved the flow a little bit and so without further modification the bike was running a tad lean. You could probably get by leaving it at that but hardly ideal. In the end I modded the airbox as well and then sent the ECU away for a retune.

I would suggest thinking about the overall system on your Z900. If other owners are always talking up airbox mods hand in hand with exhaust mods then you're probably in a similar situation as MT-07/XSR/Tenere owners and I'd definitely recommend a retune.

Either way I'd recommend taking the time to fit any system yourself, get to learn a bit more about the bike. Also useful if you need to put the original system back in a hurry, ask me how I know Wink After that, riding out with a cat delete you'll want to assess if the bike's running lean, things like pops and bangs on decel would be a dead giveaway. "Whoa! Bike sounds cool, man!" yeah, but it's not doing the engine any good.

tl;dr factor in a retune, assess, put the original system back if you have to.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:52 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
things like pops and bangs on decel would be a dead giveaway. "Whoa! Bike sounds cool, man!" yeah, but it's not doing the engine any good.

1050cc Triumphs do that out of the factory....

It implies too rich as well.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:06 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will either add power or ruin the engine. Honestly, no joke. If you remap a decatted bike you'll probably gain 10-15bhp. If you don't remap you could run the bike dangerously lean and then hole a piston.

When you remove cats you NEED to remap. The bike won't cope with that big a change in fuelling without being fettled.

The noise thing is ridiculous, as if you decat a bike and have a race can you may find the noise is not just loud that it's ear bleedingly unpleasant. My GSXR750 had a dual exit GP style exhaust on it when I got it, with the cat. With that exhaust honestly it was painful and unpleasant. Without the cat? I suspect it could be measured on the richter scale.

If you've already got a slip on, leave it at that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you legally decat a bike? I thought it was illegal to decat a car? Or is that remove the DPF from a diesel? Too much legislations nowadays.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:58 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Can you legally decat a bike? I thought it was illegal to decat a car? Or is that remove the DPF from a diesel? Too much legislations nowadays.

It's illegal for a company to offer modifications which change the emissions rating of a vehicle but I think doing it yourself or modifying a vehicle whose emissions are not measured in the MOT is a grey area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ryan Kerry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:32 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha I see and thank you finally for the advice - despite the passive aggression

I have done some reading based on the deterrence from you guys and have read that I am able to keep the cat but remove the 'breadbox' and just add a shorter mid pipe.

Regarding remapping, if i keep the cat, is it still necessary?

Thanks

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing restrictions = more flow = more lean without a remap.

Quantifying how much each individual component affects the overall system? You can only go by experience and forum hearsay. You can be certain the original system from the manufacturer balances noise, performance and emissions well enough for the engine to last the warranty period Wink

To echo MarJay: you may be disappointed with the results. My first attempt with the XSR left me with a two wheeled hammer drill Sad Quite a lot of experimentation went into balancing tone and loudness. I now have quite a selection of Chinese knock-off end cans in my shed Smile

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:38 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Kerry wrote:
Aha I see and thank you finally for the advice - despite the passive aggression

I have done some reading based on the deterrence from you guys and have read that I am able to keep the cat but remove the 'breadbox' and just add a shorter mid pipe.

Regarding remapping, if i keep the cat, is it still necessary?

Thanks

You're overthinking it.

It's an ECU restricted A2 bike that's got skinny headers to fudge the original engine's rated power, which is probably why it sounds so quiet to you, just get some riding experience and stay out of trouble.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://c.tenor.com/qLcAy8rubBAAAAAC/tenor.gif
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:35 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

In gods name why would you want to restrict a 130 bhp bike down to less than 50?

Pretty sure you can't even legally make a z900 an A2 restricted bike.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
In gods name why would you want to restrict a 130 bhp bike down to less than 50?

Pretty sure you can't even legally make a z900 an A2 restricted bike.

Pretty sure you can, especially as Kawasaki will sell you it as A2 compliant

https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/news/Kawasaki_Z900_now_available_to_A2_riders?Uid=0908UAxcXA5RUQ5ZCV5aXAtYXVENDl9YXltdDF0NCw4NXg0#:

Fullers1845 wrote:
It's an ECU restricted A2 bike that's got skinny headers to fudge the original engine's rated power, which is probably why it sounds so quiet to you, just get some riding experience and stay out of trouble.

Its just an ECU flash, no skinny headers or physical restrictors

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:46 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A2 version has a 8500rom restriction when in A2 mode so you're not going to get the noise you're wanting regardless of what exhaust parts you upgrade.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1