Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Forcing people to stop smoking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 02 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother brought me 55 x 50g pouches of tobacco back from Turkey. I won't be stopping smoking anytime soon.

I would like tobacco to be banned completely. It's likely the only way I'd manage to stop is if I couldn't get it. No doubt there'd be a black market for them.

It's a shite situation to be in, addicted to nicotine and no will power.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 02 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

55? Bloody hell. She'd have been in the sh1t if customs had stopped her. Laughing

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
One of my Kiwi mates was here on a visit and told me a pack of 20 over there now costs $60 (Kiwi dollars, around two to the quid). That's tyranny, folks, an absolute abuse of whatever 'democratic mandate' the current scumbags in power were given.

Ditto the UK, though to a lesser extreme.

Meanwhile, here in Jappo-land, a pack of import-brand fags is around £2.40. Very Happy

Not that I approve of Sid’s habit, a pack of Senior Service is €4.30 here in Cyprus, so there’s no financial incentive to quit Rolling Eyes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 02 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Hetzer wrote:
One of my Kiwi mates was here on a visit and told me a pack of 20 over there now costs $60 (Kiwi dollars, around two to the quid). That's tyranny, folks, an absolute abuse of whatever 'democratic mandate' the current scumbags in power were given.

Ditto the UK, though to a lesser extreme.

Meanwhile, here in Jappo-land, a pack of import-brand fags is around £2.40. Very Happy

Not that I approve of Sid’s habit, a pack of Senior Service is €4.30 here in Cyprus, so there’s no financial incentive to quit Rolling Eyes

Senior service, jesus wept, are they still going? Untipped version?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 02 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely tipped Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:12 - 03 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Definitely tipped Thumbs Up

Just the tip?

Aside:

Man asks his son to go to the Paki's and get him 20 John Players.
His son asks, What if they don't have John Players?
His dad replied, Well just get me anything.
Son came back from the Paki's with two Cream Eggs and a Bounty.
Dad says, What the fuck is this?
Son told him, They'd no John Players, so you said to just get you anything.

Police Mibbies I might have posted that b4. Police

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 04 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Man asks his son to go to the Paki's and get him 20 John Players.
His son asks, What if they don't have John Players?
His dad replied, Well just get me anything.
Son came back from the Paki's with two Cream Eggs and a Bounty.
Dad says, What the fuck is this?
Son told him, They'd no John Players, so you said to just get you anything.

Police Mibbies I might have posted that b4. Police

a childhood memory?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 05 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped smoking a few years ago with the help of a vape. I packed the vape in 12 months ago and whilst I still get the occasional twinge, the urge isn't there any more. I used to smoke Drum unfiltered because I liked the twigs and the harshness. Over the years it cost me the equivalent of a terraced house, so with hindsight I wish it had been banned decades ago.

Sadly I can't see any Government banning tobacco as long as there is tax to be paid on it. If it were banned, people would smuggle it in and the State wouldn't get anything....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 05 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Sadly I can't see any Government banning tobacco as long as there is tax to be paid on it. If it were banned, people would smuggle it in and the State wouldn't get anything....

Agreed. Call me cynical but they make way more in tax off cigarettes than it costs the NHS. (The tax according to google is pre-tax price plus 16.5 per cent ad valorem plus £5.89 of duty tax plus 20 per cent VAT on both the pre-tax price and the duty. Shocked )

So if a packet of 20 cost £2.50 + taxes would make it £10.56 so just over £8 in tax if my maths is right. Gov Uk is loving that.

Plus of course smokers die earlier saving pensions and OAP care.

Win, win for the government I think.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 06 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Agreed. Call me cynical but they make way more in tax off cigarettes than it costs the NHS. (The tax according to google is pre-tax price plus 16.5 per cent ad valorem plus £5.89 of duty tax plus 20 per cent VAT on both the pre-tax price and the duty. Shocked )

So if a packet of 20 cost £2.50 + taxes would make it £10.56 so just over £8 in tax if my maths is right. Gov Uk is loving that.

Plus of course smokers die earlier saving pensions and OAP care.

Win, win for the government I think.

How have you calculated the costs to the NHS?

ThunderSteve
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to smoke quite a bit myself and eventually stopped because it just wasn't enjoyable for me anymore. The idea of forcing people to stop smoking by increasing the legal age each year is a bit tricky for me. On one hand, I get the health benefits and the intention behind it, but on the other, I believe strongly in personal choice. It feels like a slippery slope when we start letting regulations dictate our personal habits too much.

I personally chose to switch to vaping with Nexus vapes because it felt like a better option for me. It allowed me to manage my nicotine intake more effectively and offered a cleaner experience. Switching was my choice, influenced by my circumstances and preferences, not because someone forced me to. That choice made all the difference.

Last edited by ThunderSteve on 09:59 - 25 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:27 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've all had drab green packets of cigarettes for...5 years now? Ive yet to see one discarded. Ive seen loads of foreign packets discarded, but no green ones. Maybe the people with drab green packets like keeping them...maybe no-one pays near on £20 for a pack of fags anymore and gets it from the ever-increasing number of overseas channels available for a quarter or less of the price.

Golden egg, goose, death...

Cost to NHS is debatable.. cost of not bloody dying when they predicted you will because you quit using vapes or because they banned cigs= to pensions companies? £B

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:59 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hardly forcing people to stop. it's more a case of preventing people from starting...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:37 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Law of Unintended Consequences dictates that people will smoke more black market cigarettes with dubious ingredients (as if cigarettes weren't bad enough) and the government doesn't get a cut of the profits.

"But! But! It'll be illegal!"

A gentle reminder that it's not actually illegal to smoke at a particular age but it will be illegal to sell cigarettes to people of a certain age. Couple that with the stellar success successive governments have had with tackling illegal drugs Rolling Eyes In our lifetimes it's possible we'll see the sales of cigarettes banned but cannabis decriminalised Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tax on fags and booze help to offset the ridiculous amount of cash required to deal with the consequences.

I would crush gambling too.

Coz I'm an angel. Angelic

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main impediment to banning large scale commercial gambling sites is that organised crime always moves in to supply services when things are made illegal.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an educational and role model issue.

Manufacturers rely heavily on human frailty.

The burdz of today with their fukugly tats, botox, lip-fillers and body-augmentation is driven by image. Driven by marketing.

And the targets are oblivious to the manipulations.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4