BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Selling my bike!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 17:09 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Selling my bike! Reply with quote

I'm selling my bike. £23,500.

Got a private buyer coming at some point next week to collect it in a van.

I've bought and sold dozens of cars and bikes in my time but for some reason I'm nervous about this one.

It's probably the largest amount I've ever sold a vehicle for before.

The guy seems very nice and genuine. Sounds like an old boy. Very chatty. But hasn't been asking the sort of questions I expect to be asked. Not only that, he's not tried to haggle me at all, not even really ask what the final price is with the optional bits I had offered to leave on there for an extra cost (biketrac tracker unit, Innov K5 dashcam, Quadlock mount and wireless charger all were "I can leave these on there for an additional cost" he's indicated he wants them left on but not asked how much for or what the total price is).

Like I said he's just not as suspicious as I'd expect him to be or asking in depth questions about it. Seems just happy to buy it blind for the advertised price.

I do often buy vehicles blind myself, but it wouldn't usually be more than about £5k for a bike or a £10k for a car and would almost certainly be from a used vehicle trader. Don't think I'd buy blind from a private seller, and certainly not £23k. Dunno just seems suspicious he's so trusting / not wanting more details or not pushing to discuss/agree a price.

Was going to come tomorrow but postponed now until later in the week.

It's going to be a bank transfer. I've heard horror stories about people selling cars and the funds being put on hold and looking like they've cleared into the account but then disappearing the next day.

Thoughts/advice on protecting myself against possible fraud / losing the bike AND the money?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:46 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh fuck off.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:10 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

Thanks.

Anything else?

Last edited by TravisBickle on 21:57 - 23 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to look out for...

Insist on the filing in the V5 online (I've even done it straight from my phone) and then you have something to check against the bank transfer. Mismatched names? Be suspicious Smile

Not much help for you now but taking a deposit even for a trivial amount ahead of time at let's you set the wife on a cyber-stalking task Very Happy

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:48 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Things to look out for...

Insist on the filing in the V5 online (I've even done it straight from my phone) and then you have something to check against the bank transfer. Mismatched names? Be suspicious Smile

Not much help for you now but taking a deposit even for a trivial amount ahead of time at let's you set the wife on a cyber-stalking task Very Happy

Good idea even if I just got him to send £50 over now.

I'll suggest that to him.

I got stung once on letting someone take the V5 with them "don't worry mate I'll fill it in later". It was a scrap car I sold on Ebay, the trader turned up at 11pm at night in a low loader to collect it. Actually he took two cars. Paid cash, no problem there.

Over a year later one of them got cloned and I started getting all manner of speeding / bus lane / parking / dart charge tickets and DVLA fine for using a car without tax. DVLA, Police TfL and about half a dozen London councils were involved. It was a right fucking headache as you can imagine over a year later on a cash sale for a couple of scrap cars (low value Mondeo high mileage blown engines) I had no record of the name/address of who I sold it to. The bloke just rung me off a mobile number, he didn't contact me through Ebay. DVLA and the Police were good as gold about it, even TfL were relatively understanding, but one or two of the London councils (Barking and Islington I think) were really fucking stubborn and initially refused to let me off the hook easily trying to hold me to account as I had no proof it was a clone (eventually got a letter from DVLA saying they'd removed me as the registered keeper and backdated it). Very stressful endeavour, took over 6 months to clear my name and stop being chased for all the fines and charges and penalties. Never again will I let someone else fill in the V5 on a vehicle sale! I'll always insist on doing it myself online there and then if it's between 7am and 7pm, otherwise will be first thing the next morning.

Last edited by TravisBickle on 22:00 - 23 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the car was linked to a drug gang in north London, the Police already knew all about it.

But I kept getting parking tickets for this one road in London so I had to drive up and find the car myself, ring the police and get them to come out and seize it. I found the car, it was a Mondeo, but a different spec and completely the wrong colour (black instead of silver) and you could see the VIN in the windscreen was a sticker as it was peeling at the edges.

They initially sent out two wet behind the ear rookies who checked the VIN in the windscreen and said it's fine / not stolen because they were just reading off the sticker in the window and said it matched the VRM.

I kicked up a right old stink and eventually they sent out a special car crime unit to have a look. It was then seized and towed away within 30 minutes. Satisfying.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:51 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
I got stung once on letting someone take the V5 with them "don't worry mate I'll fill it in later"...

Are you aware that it's been possible to report a change of keeper online for some years now?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:00 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
Are you aware that it's been possible to report a change of keeper online for some years now?

Not without the codes off the V5 you can't. And not at 11pm. The service is only available online 7am 'til 7pm. He took the V5 off me and said "don't worry I'll sort it out" and I thought nothing of it and just let him take it and the car with cash in my hand. Very lazy and trusting of me but once the V5 was out of my possession there would have been no way for me to transfer it online, would have required a letter to DVLA explaining the situation. To be honest I never even gave it a second thought until years later when I started getting the fines and charges and prosecution notices that the V5 might actually still be in my name.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1