Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

JD Under Fire for "Bike Life" Advert

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: JD Under Fire for "Bike Life" Advert Reply with quote

This was doing the rounds last week on a few Facebook pages i follow, getting a mixed response from the biking community

The latest ad campaign from JD sports for Nike trainers, shows a bunch of bike life yoofs, dicking about on bikes on public roads, all wear tracky bottoms and Nike trainers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68600346

Is this complaint justified?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:01 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an industry perspective, riding without protective boots is extremely dumb. A lot of injuries in bike accidents are ankle and foot ones, and often they are serious crush injuries. I'd never ride in trainers tbh. However, that's not what bothers me personally about it.

From a personal perspective it annoys me that it portrays motorcyclists as thugs, but I'm in two minds based on the fact that I also quite like the idea of promoting motorcycling to younger people, especially as something a bit naughty. I suspect though that the time for that has passed, and the social acceptability of road stunting is a lot less than the (already very low) level it used to be in the 90s and 2000s.

Eh, in one way at least they are using bikes and sort of portraying them as cool? I think it is tone deaf, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stunts performed by professionals" A quick look at his youtube shows it's just some bikelife cunt that rides illegally, you'd think they would do a bit more research before picking him https://youtu.be/tyL3aAw2PeA?t=974

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:41 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
"Stunts performed by professionals" A quick look at his youtube shows it's just some bikelife cunt that rides illegally, you'd think they would do a bit more research before picking him https://youtu.be/tyL3aAw2PeA?t=974

As soon as they pay him he's a professional...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, professional implies qualified not just you got paid. Are brasses professional ladies of the night? Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:08 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
With all due respect, professional implies qualified not just you got paid. Are brasses professional ladies of the night? Wink

There aren't many certified exam boards for wheelying an electric crosser through the streets of London, to be fair.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Ayrton wrote:

As soon as they pay him he's a professional...

Does that make you a professional journalist now then Wink

But yeah, i can see it from both sides, yes it might be promoting motorcycling to a younger generation, but perhaps not in the right way

And i guess its somewhat similar to the like of Easy Rider and Quadrophenia did for their respective generations when they came out, but also, they wern't adverts trying to sell trainers to yoofs

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:55 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

Some how he's sponsored by Monster Energy. Laughing

And here's the advert in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6wp7jiC3lc

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a problem with it. It's an advert and like loads of adverts it borders on fantasy. Wear Nike trainers and you can do tricks on a bike. Take the lady a box of Milk Tray and you will be the next James Bond. (showing my age there!!) Use Flash and you can be an emasculated twat with a big poodle. All fantasy.

People try to read into things stuff that doesn't exist and then have a hissy fit about it.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:05 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

All else aside, full marks to JD for knowing their target audience.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use JD much.

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this make any of you go out and ride in trainers & other inappropriate clothing? Did it make you ride like an irresponsible yoof? No, of course it didn't, so why do the namby pamby, well meaning dogooders think other people are going to say, hey that's brilliant idea, I'll go and do that?

We ride motorcycles, we know the dangers and the fact we know that means we've got enough brain cells to know what's right, wrong and good for us. These dogooders seem to think down to the lower lowest common denominator and think we don't have the brain cells to think for ourselves.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Sisko wrote:
Did this make any of you go out and ride in trainers & other inappropriate clothing? Did it make you ride like an irresponsible yoof? No, of course it didn't, so why do the namby pamby, well meaning dogooders think other people are going to say, hey that's brilliant idea, I'll go and do that?

We ride motorcycles, we know the dangers and the fact we know that means we've got enough brain cells to know what's right, wrong and good for us. These dogooders seem to think down to the lower lowest common denominator and think we don't have the brain cells to think for ourselves.

Well stupid soaks up valuable emergency response resources.

A clown, who wears a few inches of bone tissue from a limb/skull fills a bed that is more suitable for someone who takes good care of themselves.

Social Responsibility should be considered whenever freedumb is mentioned too.

That's for starters.

I hope that helps.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:05 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going out in black tracksuit bottoms with stripes up the legs on my motorbike at the weekend.

It's pretty much the law for what you have to wear on a small capacity Soviet motorcycle.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm going out in black tracksuit bottoms with stripes up the legs on my motorbike at the weekend.

It's pretty much the law for what you have to wear on a small capacity Soviet motorcycle.

I take it you have Mastered your Salvic Squat?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:15 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I take it you have Mastered your Salvic Squat?

My squatting skills are pretty good. I do however lack gold teeth and have stopped smoking so a skinny dog-end of a roll-up pinched between thumb and forefinger is going to have to go on the back-burner.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:07 - 22 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Sisko wrote:

It isn't aimed at us. It's meant for BYKLYFE chavs who, by and large, don't have the brain cells to think for themselves.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:14 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6wp7jiC3lc

That's so cool!

I want that to be me.

Where can I buy these trainers and a quad to match?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:23 - 24 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy them? Laughing

One Wheel Wavey says you can acquire bikes off the streets so I'm sure the same is true for quads.

The trainers are free at JD Sports if you can run faster than their security.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 31 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

id rather walk barefoot than wear Nike products

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:49 - 31 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
id rather walk barefoot than wear Nike products

So would those poor Cambodian sweatshop children.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1