Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Now a professional motorcycle journalist

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:48 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Now a professional motorcycle journalist Reply with quote

Anybody still buy Classic Motorcycle Mechanics here? If so, the April 2024 issue has an article written by yours truly about my KR1S!

It's a long story as to how it happened, but basically I was ranting a bit on facebook about how the mag had gone down hill, and the editor contacted me for feedback. When I mentioned I had a KR1S he suggested I fix it and write about it... so I did, and I wasn't really expecting him to put the article in the magazine... and yet here it is!! He's even going to pay me a few quid for it (literally a few quid).

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img_8055.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img_8056.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ranting a bit on facebook

Marjay will Marjay

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:28 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Marjay will Marjay

True enough! Laughing

I was being relatively tame at the time - I'm glad else I may have inadvertently insulted the editor of the mag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:04 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they called your bluff then.

I got an article in UMG years ago. Can't even remember what it was about now, probably a Jawa 350. You got paid a T-shirt.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you got it running. Looks good Thumbs Up

When I was selling my house a few years back I had a few bikes to sell off from the collection (RG125, LTD250 and a few ZZR1100 spares), I was keeping the ZZR11, the GPz750 and my ex had a KR1-S in the garage as well, alongside my project LTD1000. Without exception everyone who came to collect a bike offered cash on the KR1-S before leaving.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:55 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
At least you got it running. Looks good Thumbs Up

Well… the main pics are actually old ones from when I got the bike so there is a touch of smoke and mirrors there. The bike fell over in the garage a couple of weeks back (since I submitted the article) because the tyre valve failed and the tyre deflated. It landed on a step ladder and chipped a fairly large hole in the tailpiece. I’ve plastic welded it back together but it looks rough as hell.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got an article in Chainlink the CMA members magazine, that has a circulation of about 400, and some of the members can read too. Laughing

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 01:06 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other brit l was traveling with in Canada back in 2013 got an article of our trip published in Adventure bike rider magazine.

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/article/the-trans-canada-adventure-trail/
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 01:12 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You finally fixed it up. I'm pretty sure you've that bike for about 15 years.

The buell was better.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit like calling yourself a professional author because you got a 'viz top tips' into the mag. Laughing

At least it motivated you to get it up and running again rather than leaving it to gather dust.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:45 - 17 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
That's a bit like calling yourself a professional author because you got a 'viz top tips' into the mag. Laughing

At least it motivated you to get it up and running again rather than leaving it to gather dust.

I wrote the article and got paid for it, which is different from sending pictures of my garage and having someone write about it for me.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So they called your bluff then.

I got an article in UMG years ago. Can't even remember what it was about now, probably a Jawa 350. You got paid a T-shirt.

Yeah, me too.

Mine was about the 350 YPVS (of which I owned loads).

Still never got a T-shirt though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:31 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very good but you could have used chatgpt to make it even better.

"rewrite the following as a rhyming rap from the point of view of the KR1-S"

Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It's very good but you could have used chatgpt to make it even better.

"rewrite the following as a rhyming rap from the point of view of the KR1-S"

Wink

Rock the scotoiler over the bridge

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Now a professional motorcycle journalist Reply with quote

If they're getting their reader(s) (do they have more than one?) to write their arse tickles for them, that's probably why they're going downhill as you say.

Seriously though, congratulations.

Another Neevesy in the making.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Now a professional motorcycle journalist Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
If they're getting their reader(s) (do they have more than one?) to write their arse tickles for them, that's probably why they're going downhill as you say.

Seriously though, congratulations.

Another Neevesy in the making.

It seems they have standards, and my writing just happened to be good enough. I do agree though, that they have been getting people to write whose only real qualification is that they own a few bikes within the remit of the mag and have been overlooking some of the deficiencies in the writing maybe? Said people have massively improved over the months they've been doing it, to be fair.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 31 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i have your autograph mister
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1