Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Passport USA C70 Low Compression help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cub650GS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:12 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Honda Passport USA C70 Low Compression help Reply with quote

Hi, I am new to the forum I just joined because I seen some Honda Cub topics and thought maybe I could get some help here.

I have a 1982 CDI Honda C70\Passport USA (I'm Canadian) and it runs but has low compression. I did a valve adjustment and still low compression. I then took off the head and gave it a good cleaning, it was carrbed up real good. I cleaned the valves noting that the exhaust valve was really dirty (it actually didn't come fully clean). I then tried to lap the valves with a drill and a lapping tool. Still, bad compression...

I sounds like it is seeping from a valve... I can hear it squeezing out when I hand turn the motor. I took the head off again and tried to fenangle the valves a bit to see if they would seat but nothing changed.

So, I am looking at heads on Amazon and ebay and wondering if I should just pop on a whole head or try and rebuild the one I have.
Is there a hot head option? Or head and cam setup that might be better than stock?
I don't really want to get into big bore kits or motor swaps because of cost and I don't want to mess about trying to find the right jets for what some report as little gain.
Thanks or the help; cheers!

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 03:52 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't use a drill to lap valves. hand tool with a suction cup, back and forth 1/2 turns clockwise and then counter clockwise.

every couple of minutes, lift the valve and give it a quarter turn.

then, sharpie the valve seat, then apply the valve with no grinding paste and give it a spin. if your ink dissapears evenly, the valve will seal/seat.

simply spinning the valve will make any leakage worse.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 05:17 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, the C70 head IS the "hot head" for these engines, to the point C90 owners will fit one to their bike as a tuning aid.

Clean it properly, thoroughly inspect the valve and seat for damage like cracks and nibbles and seat it properly with a spit-stick and grinding paste. If it's pitted and nibbled on the seat/valve, you might need the valve to be reground or the seat to be recut and then lap it.

A quick and dirty test is to fit the plug and with the valves in place (pushed in, not necessarily with the springs fitted) sit it upside down over a bit of cardboard and put some petrol in the head. See if it leaks out. If it does, you aren't finished.

While you have the head off, you may as well check the bore too. Visual inspection for damage/wear. Look for signs of blowpast on the piston and carefully remove a piston ring and check the end-gap in the bore at a couple of points on the working area.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Honda Passport USA C70 Low Compression help Reply with quote

Cub650GS wrote:
...I sounds like it is seeping from a valve... I can hear it squeezing out when I hand turn the motor.

If indeed compression is leaking past a valve, you should be able to ascertain which valve it is by listening carefully to the intake and exhaust ports on the cylinder head as the piston comes up on compression stroke. If you cannot determine with certainty which valve is leaking (intake or exhaust), then compression is likely leaking past the piston rings.

One well known method of diagnosis is to perform a compression test and note the compression pressure. Then squirt a tablespoon of engine oil into the cylinder. Retest the compression. A compression increase with the addition of oil indicates worn or leaking piston rings. If compression fails to increase with the addition of oil, that confirms that the valves are leaking.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:35 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How poor is the compression? I don't think it was ever that high on these engines, but maybe the 70cc was a bit higher.

I say this because even doing an imperfect valve job, you should have a pretty good seal on the valves. You can get reasonable compression with quite poor valve sealing, and using a suction stick rather than a drill is only going to yield minor improvement.

You haven't mention the piston rings or barrel. Worth measuring both. Also make sure your valves are straight, and the timing is right.

TL;DR: These bikes are the sort of thing that people get to learn how to take an engine apart. It's quite possible that someone has done that, and put it back together wrong. It also takes quite a lot for a single cylinder Honda engine of this era to actually run poorly - I've had a big split in the intake boot for my 250 single, and hardly any change in performance. So check the big things before chasing the small things.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:45 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Honda Passport USA C70 Low Compression help Reply with quote

Cub650GS wrote:
I cleaned the valves noting that the exhaust valve was really dirty (it actually didn't come fully clean).

I was suspecting half a job.

Cub650GS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:32 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good response; even the snarky ones Razz

"How poor is compression?" 90psi, since I last took it out and tinkered with it, it won't start but I don't have a tester to see if the compression dropped. I think I got the timing off.

"don't use a drill to lap valves. hand tool with a suction cup, back and forth 1/2 turns clockwise and then counter clockwise." I never lapped a valve before and the mechanic friend who told me how just said to spin it with a drill. I actually bought a drill suction cup one that didn't suck to the valve, It was as hard as a rock even after applying heat. I was gonna buy one that had a mechanical gearing to step up the drill speed but the suction cups were too big for my little valves. I'm taking it these aren't the right tools?

"If indeed compression is leaking past a valve, you should be able to ascertain which valve it is by listening carefully to the intake and exhaust ports on the cylinder head as the piston comes up on compression stroke." A local mechanic told me it was low compression off one of the valves and that it needed a head job and it does sound like it is coming from the exhaust valve. He was going to rebuild the head for me, gave me a quote and everything, but didn't get back to me when I tried to book it (multiple times). I must assume he is either too busy or didn't want to. The other mechanic just wanted to throw amazon parts at it and I was less enthusiastic about that.

I don't want to get down into the piston and cylinder; I don't have the tools to deal with it, or hone it, or the personal constitution. If it needs all that, it will have to go to a shop.

"From memory, the C70 head IS the "hot head" for these engines, to the point C90 owners will fit one to their bike as a tuning aid." That's what I figured, I thought there might be a better head for it that was worth upgrading to.

Aside from a really dirty exhaust valve it looks good. The casting is a bit rough but there are no gouges, cracks, or anything that looks out of the norm. I did look at the bore and it looks smooth, my fingernail didn't catch anything and I don't want to get into it. I know there are people who feel strongly about going all the way all the time, I just don't have the confidence to.

"I was suspecting half a job." Kinda like your half a comment? Haha! You know I never done this before; it's not like I went "Huh, must be good enough", it was more like, "Hummm, if I keep using the sand paper on this am I going to ruin the valve? Should I use a wire brush? My honing stone?...".

After all this I am thinking maybe it's best to send the head to a head shop? There is one local to me and I am working with probably not the right tools.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cub650GS wrote:
I don't want to get down into the piston and cylinder; I don't have the tools to deal with it, or hone it, or the personal constitution. If it needs all that, it will have to go to a shop.

Aside from a really dirty exhaust valve it looks good.

Dude. I read your post and all of the responses, and I would like to comment:
1: Good on you for having the cajónes to tackle this project yourself. Trust your skills and don't be afraid to try something you have never done before.

2: Think about the exhaust valve for a moment. The exhaust valve is the hottest running part in any internal combustion engine. Superheated exhaust gas blows past that exhaust valve every time it opens. The operating temperature causes the exhaust valve head to glow red when in operation. That is normal. What is not normal is carbon build up on the valve. Sure, it happens; what you have is nothing unusual. But it would be unusual for a well-tuned, finely running engine to have deposits on either valve. Even a 42-year-old 6 hp Honda Cub engine.

Something abnormal caused the incomplete combustion that resulted in carbon build up on your exhaust valve. Could be low compression from a leaking valve. Could be low compression from piston rings not sealing. Could be a restricted exhaust or a restricted air filter. My point: Don't get myopic and focus just on the head. The exhaust valve could be the symptom, not the problem.

3: You have already done the hard part in disassembly down to remove the cylinder head. Removing the cylinder is easy from this point. Why not go just one more step? There must be some instructional video on YouTube to check the bore dimension, piston, ring gap, and hone. On assembly, you can compress the piston rings with a hose clamp (probably with just your fingers).

Good luck to you, wish you all the best.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:16 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves are hard steel, you can use a wire brush/wire wool to remove the carbon, especially on the face, just keep off the valve stem which is a ground diameter. Your spit-stick won't stick to carbon deposits, needs a clean, shiny metal surface. The valve seats are hardened too but the alloy of the head is soft so you can be fairly rough but in a more targetted manner with them.

Quote:
2: Think about the exhaust valve for a moment. The exhaust valve is the hottest running part in any internal combustion engine. Superheated exhaust gas blows past that exhaust valve every time it opens. The operating temperature causes the exhaust valve head to glow red when in operation. That is normal. What is not normal is carbon build up on the valve. Sure, it happens; what you have is nothing unusual. But it would be unusual for a well-tuned, finely running engine to have deposits on either valve. Even a 42-year-old 6 hp Honda Cub engine.

Valve stem oil seal? Won't be causing compression drop but could cause oil ingress. You probably have new ones with the gasket kit.

Are the valves a good sliding fit in the valve guides, no lateral play?

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:20 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
From memory, the C70 head IS the "hot head" for these engines, to the point C90 owners will fit one to their bike as a tuning aid.

Not all of them... there are two variants, the 'fast' one is referred to as the 'big valve' head. TBH far better results can be achieved by carefully putting the Honda engine in a cupboard for when you sell the bike on, and sticking a 110cc Lifan in there, with an ATC110 copy carb - no flat spots, 50-55mph top speed (even with a big lad like me on board) and an extra gear for tackling hills (we have them here). This solution is probably cheaper too.

Cub650GS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:47 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the head guy before coming back to check responses and you guys all seem to generally agree. He thinks I should try to clean and the valve better and making note not to touch the stem (which I did the first time :O ), and to check for play in the valve seat and seal (which I also did and there wasn't any). When I touched the stem it was with a little cleaner and some 1200 grit. I didn't use a lot of pressure or force....

He also said that if I get the valve to seat and it bumps compression it might cause the rings to leak. Especially if blow by is what caused the initial build up. That said, there should be no harm in doing the valves and seeing what happens. Worse case new gaskets. I am assuming the mechanic I had it at did a leak down test and that is why he was confident that it was indeed something leaking in the head. I only vaguely recall the conversation and the emails suggest that was done. I was going to have him do it but I he never got back to me all winter.

This weekend I will hit the valves with some more cleaner and scotch bright and steel wool etc... basically just pick through the comments and get some cleaners and we will see what happens.

If I cannot get it with valve cleaning can someone point me to a good piston ring set and a valve set? I may as well put new valves, springs, keepers, piston rings, etc... in. I noticed some piston ring kits have 3 - 5 rings and I am not too sure what I'm going to need. I suppose I will know when I get it out and look.
New piston too?
Will I need to hone the bore or is that only if there is damage?

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:43 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing the vales with a stick is like 5 minutes max. very quick. I'd suspect using a drill isnt that great an idea.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:56 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get OEM parts if you can unless they are stupidly expensive. They lasted this long... There are loads of aftermarket parts out there for these motors if price is an issue but in my experience, honda OEM stuff is top quality.

Normally when asessing a bore, you check for a lip (which you have done). Look for any damage, scores and smears with a good light. Have a look at the piston, see if gas has been blowing past the rings.

The proper way to check the bore is with a bore guage but they are fiddly and tricky to use, there's a knack to it.

The good enough way is to get a new standard size piston ring and push it down into the working part of the bore with the piston so it goes in totally square, then measure the end-gap on the ring with a feeler guage. There will be a specified tolerance for this in your workshop manual. If the gap is too wide, you may need a rebore. Or it may be cheaper to buy a complete barrel and piston kit for these bikes.

Here's a picture of me checking the ring end-gap in a different engine. This is a 2-stroke so it has ports cut in the barrel that you don't have.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AP1GczPRA7uH6Bfsss1xwYHrj_z9-839Dgfel35v6I-MLeTBnQ4uCdevQP9a9xi4Igo2_3QI-wE5Jhw-nBhUENwmmDLie51Z5orKPuyYPJqVnnCqpa5jtvhbjCqz_oXszXNaeW6fVPi6GnXxGTI3381dcRhW=w1547-h870-s-no

If it was me, I'd start by carefully (they can snap) popping one of the existing rings off and checking the end gap. If it's within spec, and there's no significant blowpast, I'd reassemble. If it's within spec and there is some blowpast, I'd hone the bore and reassemble.

If the gap is outside spec but there's no visible wear on the bore (that step you checked for) I'd order a new set of standard rings and check the end gap on those. If it's within spec, hone the bore and assemble with new rings. If it's outside spec, you just wasted the cost of new rings (that's just the nature of the job) and either need to have it rebored for the next size up piston or (may be cheaper for one of these) buy a barrel and piston kit and just swap in a new barrel.

If you're getting it rebored, you can usually buy a "piston kit" which has the piston, rings, gudgeon pin and circlips in it. You'll also need a top-end gasket set which should have head gasket, rocker cover gasket, valve stem oil seals, carb flange seal, exhaust gasket and base gasket.

Cub650GS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:10 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! It has much better compression now. I cleaned the exhaust valve and port with a scotchbright pad and then did the lapping as described and it certainly has compression now.
BUT...

Now it revs super high when I put on the choke. I removed the air filter box to see if it was plugged but that made no difference. I reset the mix screw to 2.5 turns out...
To my knowledge this is due to a lean condition so I need more fuel? I noticed some air in the fuel lines could that be the issue?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cub650GS wrote:
Good news! It has much better compression now. I cleaned the exhaust valve and port with a scotchbright pad and then did the lapping as described and it certainly has compression now.
BUT...

Now it revs super high when I put on the choke. I removed the air filter box to see if it was plugged but that made no difference. I reset the mix screw to 2.5 turns out...
To my knowledge this is due to a lean condition so I need more fuel? I noticed some air in the fuel lines could that be the issue?

check the idle adjustemnst and only use choke when needed. 'Feather' the choke to achieve a resonable warm up idle.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:38 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throttle valve could be sticking, most commonly due to an old/badly routed cable. You should be able to see it in operation if you take the air filter off.

Also a fast/variable/hanging idle can commonly be due to an air leak round the inlet manifold (causing air to get in and a lea running condition) so check the rubbers for cracking, make sure any gaskets or o-rings are in good condition.

Cub650GS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:11 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

"check the idle adjustemnst and only use choke when needed. 'Feather' the choke to achieve a resonable warm up idle." I'm not following; I can get it to start with a hit of throttle and it will idle but as soon as I touch the choke to open it, it dies. If I crank the idle up enough to get it to stay running when the choke is open it will idle like mad when the choke is closed. If I take off the air box and cover the intake it will die, but if I put the airbox on and cover the 4 intake holes it just runs like normal :~. It has stabilized fuel in it, could that be an issue?

"Throttle valve could be sticking, most commonly due to an old/badly routed cable. You should be able to see it in operation if you take the air filter off.

Also a fast/variable/hanging idle can commonly be due to an air leak round the inlet manifold (causing air to get in and a lea running condition) so check the rubbers for cracking, make sure any gaskets or o-rings are in good condition." I can stall it by covering the intake, I don't see any leaks or cracks in the seals. I put a new intake gasket on when I put it back together.

The throttle seems to operate fine, so I don't know. Before the compression issue I had it tuned in, it was just smoky due to the incomplete burn. Now it is running clean but it won't idle and I have to give it a hit of gas to start.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 22 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your terminology is not helpful..

'Choke Open' does that mean choke on and feeding extra fuel/less air or does it mean carb mouth fully open and full air flow?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Cub650GS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:59 - 22 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open means full air flow
Closed mean restricted air flow i.e. choked

Think of it like first aid...

Open means the airway is open and I am not choking.
Closed means the airway is closed and I am choking.

Cub650GS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:05 - 24 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new head gasket is no good.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cub650GS wrote:
The new head gasket is no good.

Why do you say that it is no good? Does the oil passage not line up? Is the drain blocked? If the head gasket is not sealing compression, other factors could be involved, such as warpage on the cylinder or head deck.

Cub650GS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:28 - 25 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it isn't sealing; on start up there is a *pop* and at first I thought it was a shorting plug so I replaced the plug but it is actually the head gasket not sealing right near where the plug enters the head. My uncle said the gasket was no good...
I have to take it back off and see if there is something I can do about it.

He also noted that the head could be warped; I can get back to it this evening.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1