Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Unknowingly bought a US spec bike from a main dealer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:13 - 26 Mar 2024    Post subject: Unknowingly bought a US spec bike from a main dealer Reply with quote

I recently bought a motorcycle from an approved dealer for that particular brand and nowhere was it written that the bike was a US spec example and it wasn't communicated verbally. DVLA have no record of the bike being imported.

I became aware something was 'off' when I attempted to change the outside air temp from Fahrenheit to Centigrade and failed. Then, after riding it for the first time, I noticed the apparently poor fuel economy and realised that it was calculated in US mpg, which is a smaller quantity of fuel. Neither of these differences can be changed. The speedometer and odometer are in mph (kph in smaller print) and miles.

The most recent difference I've discovered is that the bike has no immobiliser.

It's passed MOT's without issues in the past so the headlight alignment would be correct, or at least not dazzling to other road users. The light unit lens is not E marked. Note that there is no parking lights position on the ignition switch and pass light switch.

With all of this in mind, I have some questions for someone who may be better informed than myself.

- Should this have been disclosed? I viewed the dealer is the 'expert' and bought in good faith
- Is the value of bike under these circumstances affected when compared to an identical UK spec bike and would I have difficulties selling privately

Any constructive opinions gratefully received.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 26 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucial question - was the bike brand new when you bought it? If not, I suspect it's highly likely the dealer didn't even realise (especially since you say there's nothing relevant in the DVLA records).

For some reason the brand/model of bike is a big secret?; but FYI it's certainly the case that at least on some bikes (like my BMW) there are non-user settings which can be tweaked by hooking up to the dealer's computer... if that's the case, you might find your dealer is willing to tweak your US-centric settings for your for free, which should sort out most of your issue?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:42 - 26 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headlight could yet come back to bite you. Unscrupulous importers sometimes bodge the bulb so it's clocked differently in the base plate to get them to dip in the correct direction without having to replace the light unit.

What does it say on the V5? It usually says either an imported date or that it was declared new at first registration.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 26 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

With certain bikes there are differences in the combustion due to area rules. Californian bikes (well Goldwings anyway) have notoriously complex emissions gubbins that saps power and is a right b*stard if something goes wrong. Also the American bikes don't have HISS fitted, which you seem to have found out. Also quite a few bikes have different colour schemes and have indicators on at half power as running lights.

Again, going on Goldwings, American imports are cheaper to buy than UK spec bikes for the above reasons.

What bike is it?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 26 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not say what bike it is?
This info should be at the start of every new thread
I'm guessing a Goldie or Harley garage queen

US gallon 3.78 litres
UK gallon 4.54 litres
1 US mile = 1 UK mile

some of the differences I've noted on US spec bikes.

Lights on at turn on, not selective and just a dip switch.
DRL and indicators used the same shell.
Sometimes the DRL was toggled, sometimes it went off and
a flasher bulb was toggled.
Sometimes fuel useage/power was crippled for ECO purposes
esp California bikes.
Some had the oil light flash at 50mph+ which caused many's a
fright at first
Parking lights? we don need no stinkin parking lights
Some had unnecessary dumbing down gadgets

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:52 - 26 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Crucial question - was the bike brand new when you bought it? If not, I suspect it's highly likely the dealer didn't even realise (especially since you say there's nothing relevant in the DVLA records).

For some reason the brand/model of bike is a big secret?; but FYI it's certainly the case that at least on some bikes (like my BMW) there are non-user settings which can be tweaked by hooking up to the dealer's computer... if that's the case, you might find your dealer is willing to tweak your US-centric settings for your for free, which should sort out most of your issue?

Not a big secret, just didn't think it would affect any answers to my questions.

- Should this have been disclosed? I viewed the dealer is the 'expert' and bought in good faith
- Is the value of bike under these circumstances affected when compared to an identical UK spec bike and would I have difficulties selling privately

I'm waiting to hear if the dealer can re-program these settings. I can live with the other differences.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:54 - 26 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that want to know, it's a Yamaha FJR1300.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 26 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to find out for certain, locate the emissions certificate on the bike. All vehicles sold in the USA have one. It could be located anywhere on the bike, but you should not have to remove parts (other than maybe the seat) to find it. Here is what mine looks like; located on the side of the battery box and visible on the right side of the bike. (2023 G310R)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53613745514_59f5f602dc_z.jpg

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:09 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
If you want to find out for certain, locate the emissions certificate on the bike. All vehicles sold in the USA have one. It could be located anywhere on the bike, but you should not have to remove parts (other than maybe the seat) to find it. Here is what mine looks like; located on the side of the battery box and visible on the right side of the bike. (2023 G310R)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53613745514_59f5f602dc_z.jpg

Thanks for that, I will have a look for it tomorrow.
I spoke to the dealer this afternoon and he had looked the bike up on a Yamaha system where it was confirmed as being a US import, Argentina was also specified.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
Thanks for that, I will have a look for it tomorrow.

Near the headstock is a common location for that sticker, and probably the first place to look.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:32 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be insisting on a full refund...

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:48 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK by any chance? They used to do a lot of this sort of thing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:07 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
DK by any chance? They used to do a lot of this sort of thing.

Yeah. The guy I got the info about the twisting of headlamp bulb bases used to work there. Came up in conversation when I was showing him the dip-adjustable LED bulb I'd put on the enfield.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 15:23 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the DVLA has no record of the bike how was a V5/registration plate issued?

North American vehicles have a different VIN number segment to that of other regions. This is an issue l ran into trying to get my UK bike road legal in Canada.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK Motorcycles are a well know importer & reseller of imported bikes, indeed the second paragraph of their 'About us" says:-

"From Vintage and Classic bike projects, Imports direct from the USA and Japan to modern machines sourced in the UK or direct from our retail facility in Denver Colorado."

Whilst I think the seller ought to declare on their adverts 'American Import' or from wherever*, I don't think there is a legal requirement to tell you this, (please correct me if I'm wrong). Similarly it should be stated on the receipt, however given they are an importer and clearly state so, I don't think you'd get much sympathy from a court if you attempted to sue for misrepresentation. Which leads to the next point.

Remember that question we all just tick 'Yes' too when we're filling out the insurance proposal; 'Is this a standard UK model?' or whatever they ask. Well, you've got to answer no. That's not to say you won't get insurance or it'll cost more, but you do need to declare it or risk you insurance being voided.

To my mind there's nowt wrong with buying an import, there are some great low mileage & good condition classics out there or bikes we just never got here, (or as in the case of the FJR1300, which is still on sale in the US but no longer in the UK). I'm sure DK aren't out to con any one, but as the old Latin saying goes 'Caveat Emptor'.

*EDIT:- I've just clicked on half a dozen or so bikes on their website and they do say US import, so maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by Capt Sisko on 20:12 - 27 Mar 2024; edited 3 times in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember DK being quite open about imports, it was just their photos and descriptions that left a lot to be desired.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 27 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a Crotch Rocket or a Rice Burner?

Some Americans buy those bikes.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:59 - 28 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
If the DVLA has no record of the bike how was a V5/registration plate issued?

Exactly. If it's on a UK reg then the DVLA must have some record.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1