Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Enfield 350s - any experience?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 29 Mar 2024    Post subject: Royal Enfield 350s - any experience? Reply with quote

Anyone got any first hand experience of the newish crop of RE 350s? The reviews are so gushingly positive I thought I'd ask here for a bit of balance.

They seem to fit my fairly restrictive criteria of something that is fun to ride at pretty modest speeds, has ABS and can be picked up for sub £3000 (used).

Probably be the Hunter that I'd go for, but I'm going to see if I can get a test ride on that and the Meteor as they are on offer for £2999 brand new.

The absence of power and poverty spec don't bother me, I'm much happier with a distraction free bike at a pedestrian pace. Take in the sights and work a slow bike hard etc etc.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 29 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes absolutely zero sense.
You're right it's a pov spec bike with little power.
There is no reason to get one. Is this another attack of the mental lurgy?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:29 - 29 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 2 week tour of Portugal on the NR2 on one last Summer.

They are entirely without vice, comfortable to ride and dead neutral in every respect. Very good fuel economy and it never missed a beat riding with luggage all day long in temperatures in the mid 30's, also in monsoon levels of rain. It was particularly well mannered on poorly surfaced roads.

Dog slow though. 65 tops for cruising and expect to change down a gear going up steep hills. 125 levels of performance with a bit more grunt. No quicker than my pre-unit iron barrel 350 bullet on standard gearing. Motorways and dual carriageways are a boring slog. Happiest on B-roads.

I'd have preferred a 500. Ridden one before, not much quicker but better at climbing hills and a bit more go about it at the cost of more vibration and noise (not a bad thing in my oppinion).

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers stinkwheel. The gruntier 125 description is what I was expecting. I’ve often missed my old YBR as I used to enjoy wringing its neck through the back lanes in all weathers.

Conversely I found my Sprint a bit dull and bland and haven’t missed it once since flogging it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Enfields are bought by the sort of clown who wants to be mistaken for a rider of a classic bike, but they don't have the patience or the mechanical skills to ride an actual vintage bike. They just want the attention of other old bluffers and to be seen as something they're not. "Oye 'ad one a them in the sixties, me."

Also by people like the guy down the road from me, who has a 2022 Enfield Meteor, almost had it stolen at night, and says on social media that the thieves gave up because it's too big a bike for them.

Both the above type of people want a certain type of cred with ignorant people. Just what I observed. But no, not you. What YOU want is the blistering performance of a 125 on country roads. That's what you're saying.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:45 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on the blob?

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
New Enfields are bought by the sort of clown who wants to be mistaken for a rider of a classic bike, but they don't have the patience or the mechanical skills to ride an actual vintage bike. They just want the attention of other old bluffers and to be seen as something they're not. "Oye 'ad one a them in the sixties, me."

Also by people like the guy down the road from me, who has a 2022 Enfield Meteor, almost had it stolen at night, and says on social media that the thieves gave up because it's too big a bike for them.

Both the above type of people want a certain type of cred with ignorant people. Just what I observed. But no, not you. What YOU want is the blistering performance of a 125 on country roads. That's what you're saying.

Show me on the dolly where the nasty Royal Enfield man touched you Bhud, it's okay, you're safe here.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Are you on the blob?

I think he’s confused slowside with slowasyoulike and is trying to continue a silly row started in the, ‘Help a fellow rider fight mental health,’ thread.

I keep wondering whether a smaller, slower, lighter* bike might suit me better these days, and get more use, so I get where slowside is coming from. It doesn’t have to mean less fun.

*Lighter than the 200kg Enfield, the weight which, incidentally, might indeed deter some skinny, thieving chavs more used to pushing half that weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Are you on the blob?

I think he’s confused slowside with slowasyoulike and is trying to continue a silly row started in the, ‘Help a fellow rider fight mental health,’ thread.

No I'm just giving my opinion about Royal Enfield 350s (the new ones). I've got genuine contempt for the make-believe world of bikes dressed up to look old, made by dudes in sandals with hammers. The whole thing is so fake. The only joy you get is from thinking passers-by think you're some kind of classic bike whiz? Hate (new) REs but those scammers really know their market.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:15 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were primarily designed and built for the Indian market where reliability, low fuel consumption, the ability to do at least 45mph and a good loud horn are the metrics for a desirable motorcycle.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. But now they've found a new market.

Just today, on one of the classic car pages on Facebook, there was a discussion about which classic cars were fairly priced and might appreciate (the usual sort of discussion). A guy piped up and wrote: "Don't buy a classic car - buy a classic bike!"
I thought, great, someone who knows more about bikes than I do. So I clicked his profile and he'd displayed photos of 3 bikes (no other pics at all), all of them new Enfields. They had little leather bags with studs on them and everything. So I thought, maybe this guy's trying to get in on classic bikes. I asked, "When are you getting one?" His response, "I've got one". I asked, why haven't you uploaded any photos of it? He got angry, said it's none of my business, etc. Ah, OK, I thought. I get it 100%.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 30 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also after a lighter bike, something more suitable for my commute into the City. I was attracted to the Husky 401 / Duke 390 due to minimum weight, maximum power. With all due respect, the RE 350s seem like maximum weight, minimum power Thinking

That being said, with a line of bikes chained up in a side street the 350 would be the last one to get stolen. That's something I suppose Smile

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:29 - 31 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the Meteor has almost the same power and torque specs of my old 250 majesty.
There was a youngish woman down the mens shed who ran the pottery course had just bought one as her first 'big' bike.
She wasn't interested in being a real biker and all that boring old shite, she just wanted something to tootle about on so fair enough, hope she enjoys it.
I dont care what people ride, if they're enjoying riding it then fine by me.
The guy who rode to Stornoway and back on a YBR 125 with L plates
gets more respect from me than some boastful twat with a garage queen
who'll do anything to it but actually get on ride the thing.

Some do look a bit posey though
I saw two guys on three headlight Harleys with CHIPS helmets, jodhpurs, the whole schmeer the other day and gave them the customary GAY!! greeting as I past the other way legs akimbo on me scooty
had a 'YMCA' earworm all day after that.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 31 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I I was attracted to the Husky 401 / Duke 390 due to minimum weight, maximum power. With all due respect, the RE 350s seem like maximum weight, minimum power Thinking

What do you think of your 401? These sneak into my budget for a used one (perhaps more-so now the 2024 model is out). Any good for longer rides? I did consider them a while back, but at the time I think I got put off by some anecdotal chatter about overheating and cutting out.

WD Forte wrote:
I'm surprised the Meteor has almost the same power and torque specs of my old 250 majesty.
There was a youngish woman down the mens shed who ran the pottery course had just bought one as her first 'big' bike.
She wasn't interested in being a real biker and all that boring old shite, she just wanted something to tootle about on so fair enough, hope she enjoys it.
I dont care what people ride, if they're enjoying riding it then fine by me.
The guy who rode to Stornoway and back on a YBR 125 with L plates
gets more respect from me than some boastful twat with a garage queen
who'll do anything to it but actually get on ride the thing.

Some do look a bit posey though
I saw two guys on three headlight Harleys with CHIPS helmets, jodhpurs, the whole schmeer the other day and gave them the customary GAY!! greeting as I past the other way legs akimbo on me scooty
had a 'YMCA' earworm all day after that.

I'm guessing they wanted something cheap and unstressed that would clear Euro5, put it all together, ended up with 20hp and said sod-it, that'll do.

I get that some might be salty about the new RE stuff being an exercise in marketing cheap Indian bikes to cork-sniffing duffers in the UK, but I don't care. They could replace the logo with Bajaj for all the difference it makes to me.

I've probably got more in common with the woman from your pottery course I think, I'm just after a toy, I'm not looking to join a social club.

In any case, I'm not wedded to any brand or model. If it has ABS, is fun to ride at my pedestrian pace and is under £3000 without being a nail I'll consider it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 31 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
What do you think of your 401? These sneak into my budget for a used one (perhaps more-so now the 2024 model is out). Any good for longer rides? I did consider them a while back, but at the time I think I got put off by some anecdotal chatter about overheating and cutting out.

My use case is whizz up the A3 (speed limits 50~70mph) and enter the hellhole that is Stop-Start City; about an hour each way. For that job it's perfect.

If it was a few hours of motorway then no, I'd rather have a big-boy bike with top-boxes and panniers. Back roads with the the odd dual carriageway you could get away with if only travelling light. The general ergonomics (seating position, pegs, handlebars) I've found surprisingly comfortable but I am working on the seat (see Show & Tell.) TBF a lot of bikes would benefit from better seat foam material.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:54 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Meteor for a year as an emergency replacement commuter when my ER650 died only a few months after I passed my test.

I enjoyed it, it was like riding a motorbike but at the sort of speed as a normal car. Tootling around locally on a sunny day was lovely, trying to get anywhere with a deadline was horrible. I once ride it from Cannock to Shrewsbury down the M54 and it was grim, trucks were frustratingly that little bit slower than I wanted to go, but it took a while to get past and pissed off the audi drivers because it's only 2 lanes.

Didn't have any faults with it though, and sipped fuel, was getting 90 to the gallon with no thoughts given to economy.

It got nicked though by thick kids from Walsall, I replaced it with an old Vstrom 1000 which with another 18 months riding under my belt was more enjoyable than I expected, I miss the fuel economy. but I'd happily ride the V Strom anywhere, which I could' say about the Enfield.

I'd have another though, if I had room for 2 bikes. Also despite my initial thoughts when the hunter was released, I'd probably go meteor again, the hunter looks tiny in real life.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Royal Enfield 350s - any experience? Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
Anyone got any first hand experience of the newish crop of RE 350s? The reviews are so gushingly positive I thought I'd ask here for a bit of balance.

They seem to fit my fairly restrictive criteria of something that is fun to ride at pretty modest speeds, has ABS and can be picked up for sub £3000 (used).

Probably be the Hunter that I'd go for, but I'm going to see if I can get a test ride on that and the Meteor as they are on offer for £2999 brand new.

The absence of power and poverty spec don't bother me, I'm much happier with a distraction free bike at a pedestrian pace. Take in the sights and work a slow bike hard etc etc.

In all honesty I wouldn't and I used to be a fan. I was even in to get the Super Meteor but even that is a slow bike. If you want something smaller the only thing I rate is the Duke 390 and the Husqvarna versions of it. Not going to win a footrace against a bigger bike but pokey enough and fast enough. Definitely better option for motorway travel.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new 450 engine theyve put in the Himalayan seems to be getting good reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
I had a Meteor for a year as an emergency replacement commuter when my ER650 died only a few months after I passed my test.

I enjoyed it, it was like riding a motorbike but at the sort of speed as a normal car. Tootling around locally on a sunny day was lovely, trying to get anywhere with a deadline was horrible. I once ride it from Cannock to Shrewsbury down the M54 and it was grim, trucks were frustratingly that little bit slower than I wanted to go, but it took a while to get past and pissed off the audi drivers because it's only 2 lanes.

Didn't have any faults with it though, and sipped fuel, was getting 90 to the gallon with no thoughts given to economy.

It got nicked though by thick kids from Walsall, I replaced it with an old Vstrom 1000 which with another 18 months riding under my belt was more enjoyable than I expected, I miss the fuel economy. but I'd happily ride the V Strom anywhere, which I could' say about the Enfield.

I'd have another though, if I had room for 2 bikes. Also despite my initial thoughts when the hunter was released, I'd probably go meteor again, the hunter looks tiny in real life.

Yeah I think I've cooled on the idea of these now as they are just a bit too compromised to be an only bike. The residuals are likely to be terrible though, so I'm not ruling out picking one up once the price bottoms out.

to v or not to v wrote:
the new 450 engine theyve put in the Himalayan seems to be getting good reviews.

There are rumours there is an updated Hunter 450 in the works with that engine, presumably as a contender to the Triumph 400s.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr If you want good fuel economy and a low stressed engine, go Royal Enfield. If you need any sort of excitement, look elsewhere.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new 350 classic reborn as a reliable run about, light weight and modern.

It was heavy, under powered, uncomfortable to ride and drank oil, Royal Enfield said the oil consumption spec was 150ml per 1000 kg, it was double that.

Got shot and bought a Bonneville which is what I should have bought in the first place. I also had an Interceptor which I didn't like, however I had a Himalayan which I thought was pretty good, and currently have a Bullet 500 which I do like.

I think that Royal Enfield produce cheap bikes which are very popular, but being traditional they don't have the quality of Triumph or Jap bikes.

Depends on what you want.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1