Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Health anxiety

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 11:04 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Health anxiety Reply with quote

Sup, been a while.

Ever since I had a one-off afib episode in 2021 that required hospitalisation I've had quite severe health anxiety.

Every time I get an ectopic beat I think I've got afib again and alarm bells ring and I'm fully in panic mode.

Over the years I've managed to get control of the panic because ectopic beats aren't related to afib and cardiologists & doctors have done countless ECGs on me and bloods over the last 3 years and told me that I'm fine every time. So from an evidence based perspective I'm at low risk. Rather ironically I'm also in a lot better physical shape than I was back then, which was my main risk factor (I had afib when I was obese and now through healthy eating & exercise I'm a normal BMI).

However, my mental state has deteriorated further over the years despite physical health improvements and constant reassurance from doctors.

These days, if I get a benign symptom of something, I immediately believe I must have the worst case scenario illness, like cancer.

New moles appear? Must be skin cancer. New headache & dizziness for a few weeks? Brain tumor. Upset stomach? Liver or bowel cancer.

I'm undergoing CBT for the first time ever. Never had therapy but I'm starting to think I need actual professional help.

I've lost touch with lots of my old friends, I struggle to keep in touch with my family, and I quit riding because I can't deal with the anxiety.

My heart can literally go out of rhythm for a minute if I have high stress, so I can't put myself in stressful situations.

I don't recognise who I am these days.

Even when I don't have perceived symptoms on any given day and there's no real threat, I will be constantly restless and trying to get through to the end of the day. I'll be fidgety and have all the physical signs of stress and anxiety despite no mental stressor.

I have a gf, a dog, and a stable job, with no financial pressures at the moment, but somehow this shit has taken over my life lol.

Anyone experienced anything similar? If so how did you overcome it?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you rate your anxiety before the afib episode?

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 11:13 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero. Felt invincible.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:45 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you taking anything like diazepam or any other prescription drugs?

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 13:02 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not taking anything

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of stating the obvious, you need a mental health check from someone who knows what they are doing. A doctor once said to me there was nothing worse in his view than a layman self diagnosing/treating. OK, that was for physical problems but I suspect it's valid for mental health as well.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anxiety is the anticipation of pain and can be a perfectly normal self-defence mechanism... unless it takes over your life! Therapy should help move you into a more realistic place.

On the other hand what's the worst that could happen? "Dammit, man, I could die!!!" but everyone does that all the time Wink Fear of dying is sometimes about leaving things unresolved. Maybe this anxiety is (unconsciously) helping you avoid dealing with something important?

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 15:08 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
At the risk of stating the obvious, you need a mental health check from someone who knows what they are doing. A doctor once said to me there was nothing worse in his view than a layman self diagnosing/treating. OK, that was for physical problems but I suspect it's valid for mental health as well.

You are correct. I was referred by my GP to a wellbeing thing and have been diagnosed with health anxiety by the therapist doing my CBT. Only had first session, seemed helpful, hopefully continues to work out.

Easy-X wrote:
Anxiety is the anticipation of pain and can be a perfectly normal self-defence mechanism... unless it takes over your life! Therapy should help move you into a more realistic place.

On the other hand what's the worst that could happen? "Dammit, man, I could die!!!" but everyone does that all the time Wink Fear of dying is sometimes about leaving things unresolved. Maybe this anxiety is (unconsciously) helping you avoid dealing with something important?

Yeah recently I had some physical symptoms (turned out to be nothing after months of GP visits) like unexplained headaches and dizziness for months, and that whole process since end of January made me more anxious, now the symptoms are (mostly) gone, it's almost like I'm anticipating it will all come back again.

Also because it's unexplained, it's made me worry about my health generally.

I know there are a lot of things unresolved in my life or things that I still want to achieve. Dying at 30 would suck.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

notabikeranymore wrote:
Dying at 30 would suck.

Jimi Hendrix only got to 27 Sad

What I mean is are there things you're not doing because of the anxiety. (Hopefully your life is rolling on despite the anxiety.)

Regardless, let us know how you get on with the CBT. It won't make your worries disappear but therapy should reign in your reaction to them.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 16:12 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Jimi Hendrix only got to 27 Sad

What I mean is are there things you're not doing because of the anxiety. (Hopefully your life is rolling on despite the anxiety.)

Regardless, let us know how you get on with the CBT. It won't make your worries disappear but therapy should reign in your reaction to them.

I was avoiding using my smart watch completely until recently because since afib I've felt panicky wearing one. Therapist advised against avoidance behaviours so I'm now wearing it and oddly it hasn't been a source of panic like I thought it would be. It actually has reassured me that everything is ok.

I was also avoiding driving because of recent panic attacks but that's now fine, I'm able to drive fine now.

Also started avoiding running and lifting because I thought I was overdoing it. Would run a 5k and 15k during the week, some weeks would run three 7ks. Pace on shorter runs was 4 min 40 per km, longer runs up to 5 min 30 per km.

Through diet and strict exercise I went from 93kg to 74kg and was pretty ripped but since January, when the dizziness / headaches started and the random onset of panic attacks I backed off completely and haven't resumed.

I'm now wearing the smart watch and walking a lot. Some days I can walk for around 2-3 hours in total or around 15-20k steps. When I'm walking I have a massive reduction in anxiety but it resumes when I'm not active.

So I'm making progress. I don't plan to do strenuous exercise for a while. I feel like I overdid it and caused myself more anxiety.

GP recommended beta blockers and sertraline if therapy doesn't help. Might have to jump on that.

Will update here how CBT goes. I think the first session was positive because I'm now not avoiding things as much as I was previously.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:25 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't go in believing that it's a waste of time, you'll find that the therapy will work. It won't be instant, but it will happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your apparent fear of getting ill sounds more about worrying of "dying from something" but in fact, we all die.

Maybe doing CBT around acknowledging that death is inevitable might help alleviate your crippling fear of it.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 10:42 - 05 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Yeah, I will have to discuss this with the therapist at my next session I think. I definitely don't feel that it's a waste of time. I've found that it's already challenged some of the fundamental thought patterns I hold so I'm taking it seriously and I'm trying to internalise new ways of thinking about things.

I don't know if it's inherently linked to fear of my own death though. Come to think of it, my dog is in for a very low risk procedure today although he has to go under anaesthesia and I'm a bag of nerves over that too.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 05 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more low key but in a similar vein. My mum lives in a rented house and no longer relishes the responsibility of owning and maintaining a property but... now she's anxious about being spontaneously kicked out of the property "reasoned" solely on the basis that it's rented. Of course the Daily Mail regularly print sob stories from the rented sector Rolling Eyes

Proportion: how many people are being kicked out "spontaneously" versus the number who've been renting happily for years? The articles never say.

Context: is it in the interest of the Daily Mail to print stories where everything's fine versus grim tales? i.e. misery pr0n.

The essence of this bad news phenomena is relative weight of positive vs negative feelings. For example, if you find a ten pound note let's say you have +5 positive feelings. If on the other hand you lose ten pounds you might experience -7 negative feelings. Negative feelings > positive feelings in absolute terms for comparable events, that's just how humans are built.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 05 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

notabikeranymore wrote:
Thanks all. Yeah, I will have to discuss this with the therapist at my next session I think. I definitely don't feel that it's a waste of time. I've found that it's already challenged some of the fundamental thought patterns I hold so I'm taking it seriously and I'm trying to internalise new ways of thinking about things.

It is good that you seek help. Talking could work and for many does.

In the meantime, try some of these:

1) Try a magnesium supplement, to calm your nerves.

2) Avoid/reduce exposure to CO2. CO2 does promote anxiety. In other words, go outside more. If you're indoors, make sure the room is well ventilated. You could also try double inhale breathing that does wash out as much CO2 as possible out of your lungs.

3) Get a good quality sleep. This means no blue light (TV, smartphone, white/blue artificial lights...) and no food nor water before you go to bed. Also, try to sleep in a well ventilated room (see point 2).

3) Alcohol and sugar are not your mates. When intoxicated, both ruin your REM sleep and when getting sober, or you get low sugar, you get more susceptible to stress that does promote anxiety.

4) Exercise. Regular physical activity does help a lot to keep all the hormones in balance. For many, it also promotes happy hormones production.

5) Cold showers also help to keep a healthy mind.

I'm not a doctor, but I did try all of the above, and it did and does help me. I don't believe in talking, so a therapist would be a waste of time for me, but maybe you are the type that finds talking about issues therapeutic. I also don't believe in drugs being the only option here, although it could seem like an easy way how to deal with the issues.

I used to have palpitations (resting heart rate at 100+bpm for no reason) and random stabbing like pain in the heart area; which was quite scary the first time I've experienced this. Anyway, I went through all sorts of tests, everything was fine. Then I've started doing something about it and these days I've got a steady heart rate resting at 65bpm (I can get it down to 58bpm during my cycling season) and I no longer get the stabbing like pain in the heart area. I'm still doing the same rather high stress job and although things still get complicated and stressful from time to time, it just does not get me as it used to, if that makes any sense.

dunwichguy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:44 - 18 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you've been going through a lot with health anxiety, and I'm really sorry to hear about your struggles. Dealing with health anxiety can be overwhelming and impact various aspects of life, including relationships and hobbies.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1