Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike - Honda CB500X(400X) vs CB400 Super Four

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

dizzy_stranger123
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:50 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: First bike - Honda CB500X(400X) vs CB400 Super Four Reply with quote

Hi,
I just passed my test in Japan and looking to buy my first bike, limited to 399cc by license type. Just wanted to hear some opinions on bikes. Posting here for English advice as from UK.
Both bikes looking to buy lightly used - the Super four was still available to buy new until 2023.

400SF - this is what I learned on, and I love the engine, the VTEC and the noise. Also it seems slightly more premium / less plasticy than the CB400X.

500X/ 400X - will be better suited to my height, and better luggage options and slightly more upright position.

As I understand I can get a rear box for all three, but the 400X can also fit pannier bags. I believe a 35L/40L will give me enough space for 5 days clothes if packing lightly, but if I want to go bike camping 400X maybe better.

Is the riding position on the 400X so much more comfortable and suited to longer rides? I want to ride out from Tokyo into the countryside so will be doing maybe 3 hour long rides 1 way sometimes (plus break times).

To be honest if I can get my feet comfortable (and longer rides don't cramp me on 400SF) I would lean to that bike as just love the engine and sound.
In terms of on road agility in bends, I assume the 400SF will have a big advantage over the 400X in twisty , tight roads?

For reference I`m 6 foot and shoe size 11 and the 400SF was slightly cramped - in terms of the rear brake and clutch lever are cramped given my shoe size, didn't notice legs uncomfortable but definitely found my foot almost engaging rear brake due to my foot size and getting under shift lever was also slightly hard.
I've straddled the CB400X and the rear brake and clutch seemed slightly more spacious.
All advice appreciated. Thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:44 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 400 super four is a lovely bike, I can't think of any vices and it would make an excellent first bike. There was one that went around at least six members of my bike club over about 15 years and never missed a beat, I dread to think how many miles it covered. It was even crashed a couple of times and came away with very little damage.

They are quite small though. One of the guys who had it is 6'5" and he did have trouble fitting his feet on it, he wore through the toes of his boots cornering because he had to hold them in a funny position but he still managed to do lots of very long rides on it (4-500 mile weekends of spirited road riding in the Scottish Highlands).

I have no experience of the 500x. I can say nothing but good things about the older CB500 twins, my wife had one and I've done a lot of miles on it too although I'd prefer a super 4 to a CB500 twin if I was given the choice between the two.

I'd say you'd need to have a good reason NOT to have a super four rather than a good reason to have a CB500.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1