Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CG 125cc to 150cc conversion problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Guichaoui
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:11 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Honda CG 125cc to 150cc conversion problem Reply with quote

I have a honda 125 cc engine that's driving me crazy, the engine has 2000 miles on it, relatively new with no problems whatsoever and runs great. I got a 150cc kit for it (piston, cylinder, head,) the whole top end, the installation went smoothly without any problems, it has great compression and top range performance, the problem is, when i started it the first time i noticed a clunking sound coming from the top end, when rotating the engine, you hear the sound when the piston is at TDC and BDC, the sound is louder with the spark plug off,and even louder when the bike is running, the sound disappears above 4000 rpm, after disassembling it again, i noticed no signs of valves hitting the piston, no piston play, even with the old head it gives the same sound. When i installed the old cylinder with the new head, no weird sounds and it ran greatly, so one would say the problem is in the cylinder, after comparing the new and old cylinders, the only difference i could notice is the 150 cylinder is 2mm longer on the bottom, but its not touching the crank, and the new piston is relatively tighter when entering it into the cylinder, even with no rings.

Notes:

No rod play up and down, slight play left and right
Piston pin fits perfectly in the top rod bearing with no play
Piston fits snuggly in the bore, no play front to back, slight play left and right
Valves adjusted to spec

Any ideas would help, thank you.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the new cylinder wall is a bit longer at the bottom have you examined the bottom inner lip of the bore to see if the con rod has been touching it when the piston is halfway up/down?

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to 'upgrade' a CG for moar powah
just keep it well serviced or buy a bigger bike

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be piston slap. Are there any witness marks on the skirt of the piston front and rear?

Guichaoui
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:57 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved actually it turned out somehow the piston is too snug in the bore, i tried it even without rings and it moved with difficulty as if the rings are installed, i just sanded down the skirts of the piston until it moved smoothly in the bore then installed the rings and put back and everything ran without a sound.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:12 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guichaoui wrote:
Solved actually it turned out somehow the piston is too snug in the bore, i tried it even without rings and it moved with difficulty as if the rings are installed, i just sanded down the skirts of the piston until it moved smoothly in the bore then installed the rings and put back and everything ran without a sound.

I confidently predict a catastrophic engine failure in the near future.

This is precision engineering. The piston to bore clearance is a finely machined and ground measurement, accurate to a few thousandths of an inch.

If the clearance was too tight, you'd usually hone the bore to the correct diameter. At the absolute outside you'd turn down the piston in a lathe.

Sanding the piston sounds like a total recipe for disaster.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Stinkwheel says.

Pistons are designed with mild ovality when cold to counteract the differing amounts of expansion caused by the thicker (i.e gudgeon pin webs) vs thinner parts (skirt) of the piston. The correct thing to do would have been to bore to suit. I don't think anyone uses a cheap Chinese 150 kit and expects major longevity but if I were you I'd be careful not to thrash it from cold or rev it too hard for too long once warm as theres a fair chance you've reduced the temperature range it will put up with now.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Nobby the Bastard This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

Guichaoui
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:17 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so i went out and got a new piston installed it and let it run for 15 minutes, the sound didn't go away, so i think i will try honing the cylinder and give it a test. But all this does not explain how a tight piston causes knoking sounds

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guichaoui wrote:

Meh, ghetto fix works for me. if you still have decent compression and no noise why not run it a while and see. I would run it in for a couple of hundred miles still though.

Edit - better check ring end gap while you're in there. too tight and it may seize

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm Virus has blown up his fair share of big-bore CG125s in his time so he has the voice of experience.

Guichaoui
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:57 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing i overlooked is that there is a notch cut out at the bottom of the cylinder it turned out that it aligns with an oil nozzle that squirts oil inside the cylinder to lubricate it, and the 150 one doesn't have it. Guess i have to find a way to grind a notch in there too

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guichaoui wrote:
Another thing i overlooked is that there is a notch cut out at the bottom of the cylinder it turned out that it aligns with an oil nozzle that squirts oil inside the cylinder to lubricate it, and the 150 one doesn't have it. Guess i have to find a way to grind a notch in there too

It most likely squirts oil onto the underside of the piston crown to cool it. The cylinder should get adequate lubrication due to splash from oil squeezing out from the rod bearings.

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 07:03 - 11 Apr 2024; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it back to how it was. Original bore and piston.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:26 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Put it back to how it was. Original bore and piston.

Agree. If you want a faster bike, buy one. Getting a high chance of failure for 2-4hp extra would be mad. I doubt its even noticeable difference wise... better throwing money down a drain.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I can confirm Virus has blown up his fair share of big-bore CG125s in his time so he has the voice of experience.

That was the nathans that played with big bore CGs back in the day. Funilly enough my CG125 engine was of of few bikes I've owned that I never blew up, I also never badly fitted a 150 kit by sanding pistons and blocking the oil jet for the piston. Maybe its a coincidence?
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:22 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.gifer.com/embedded/download/Ywqm.gif

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:49 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

That was the nathans that played with big bore CGs back in the day. Funilly enough my CG125 engine was of of few bikes I've owned that I never blew up, I also never badly fitted a 150 kit by sanding pistons and blocking the oil jet for the piston. Maybe its a coincidence?

Oh, I thought you blew one up at a freeze-up in the snow when we burned that huge mining vehicle tyre. Maybe it was someone else... or someone elses?

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
virus wrote:

Oh, I thought you blew one up at a freeze-up in the snow when we burned that huge mining vehicle tyre. Maybe it was someone else... or someone elses?

That was naths. I may have been the last person to ride it before the clutch fibre plates had a rapid unexpected disassembly.

Guichaoui
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:31 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

So i got a new piston and honed the cylinder, grinded away a notch in the same position as the original one, put it all together and it woked fine, i rode it for about 30 minutes and didn't notice anything wrong with it, for those who are wondering, i only did this because the parts for the 125cc top end are inexistent in my country, you couldn't even find a gasket set for it, i don't know why but this is the only thing i could do since the 150 parts are available everywhere.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:49 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CG125 doesn't really suffer from lack of powah. It is absolutely fine for its task.
The secret to using small engines is learning about energy conservation.
Don't upgrade the engine.
Downgrade the brakes. Cool
Slowing down is the worst thing you can do on a 125.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guichaoui wrote:
UPDATE:

..the parts for the 125cc top end are inexistent in my country, you couldn't even find a gasket set for it.

Blimey.. where's that?

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:24 - 13 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some right dodgy after market Chonda pistons in my time recently. Yeah I've had them with the skirt too long so you had to grind them so they didn't come into contact with the flywheels at bottom, and I've had them be a bit too tall (like one mill or so) after some "engine modifications" so they clapped the head as they came up. Again, it was just a matter of grinding or sanding things to fit. To be honest I now use a pair of YBR125 pistons in my rebored Benly clone engine thing and they work fine.

Guichaoui
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:23 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Got 500 km on the bike today, changed oil, checked valvee clearance, the sound was getting quieter throughout this week but its still there.

Here is what it sounds like:
https://youtube.com/shorts/iP_0VJd5gF8?si=8ZIZ06_MpSJ_uI_I

The video is taken when the bike is at operating temp, been driven for 15 minutes, when its cold its the same.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Sounds like it might be piston slap. Are there any witness marks on the skirt of the piston front and rear?

Guichaoui
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:08 - 20 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Cant be because piston has no play in the cylinder its the first thing i checked
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1