Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Custom earplugs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Custom earplugs Reply with quote

For those of you who have custom made earplugs for riding, do you use them for anything else?
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting some made but I'd like to use them for sleeping as well as on the bike.
Of course the manufacturers will try to sell sets for specific purposes but they're not cheap are they.
All experiences appreciated. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:53 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make your own for £6.99 in about 10 minutes. They basically stuff silicone putty into your ear and wait for it to set. You can do it at home. Remember to put a little "pinch" on the outside to give you something to get hold of to "unscrew" them from your ear.

Also resist the temptation to fiddle with it too much once it's in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Impression-Silicone-Hydrophilic-Restorations-Certified/dp/B0B8C9FHG7

Here are my ones. The one mistake I made was using too much putty. I should have used a bit less so they don't stick so far out.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from here and they also work as earphones very well: https://ultimateear.com/

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You can make your own for £6.99 in about 10 minutes.

Cheers. I'll give this stuff a try, thanks for the tips. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
I got mine from here and they also work as earphones very well: https://ultimateear.com/

Yeah that was the company I was going to use.
Not too bothered about having them wired for sound tbh, I was mainly wondering if the bike versions could be used for sleeping and vice versa.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:09 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. I remember I followed a youtube video. Ancient and low rez.
https://youtu.be/6w5hclSlRsY?si=cLcHhcYeaddSbqL-

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 13 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Here you go. I remember I followed a youtube video. Ancient and low rez.
https://youtu.be/6w5hclSlRsY?si=cLcHhcYeaddSbqL-

The stuff arrived today.
I was going to look for a vid tbh so thanks again. Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 14 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

Kit arrived yesterday so I made a pair.
They do work well for noise reduction but I'm finding them a little too firm to be honest. I might have a look for something a bit more squidgy.

This must be the difference between the sleep set and riding set that the custom fitters make.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Custom earplugs Reply with quote

recman wrote:
For those of you who have custom made earplugs for riding, do you use them for anything else?
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting some made but I'd like to use them for sleeping as well as on the bike.
Of course the manufacturers will try to sell sets for specific purposes but they're not cheap are they.
All experiences appreciated. Wink

I have two pair.
One pair attenuated for the bike and my 2nd pair attenuated for big fuk off diesels. (110dB)

Specsavers can measure your lug oles and send the impression to be cast in resin (colour choices).
The manufacturer shoves a filter into the casting to suit your plan.
And your mum's brother Bob, identifies as your uncle.

The home made ones block noise but the block almost all noise.

Filtered/attenuated plugs allow normal sounds to be heard.
Can hear your Mrs. kicking off on the phone about why you're not back from your 'quick bike run yet?

The maker is Minerva.

Check out their chit online.

I paid about 85 big ones for mine two years ago.
I use the ones for work all day at work.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1