Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:40 - 05 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
That's £90 I'll never see again.

That is relatively cheap... by relatively, my glasses have another zero. I am almost blind though without glasses, can't read my phone a few inches from my face Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:23 - 05 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fucking expensive for something that's worse than useless.

I was expecting something that made my vision a little bit better, maybe help with eyestrain on long journeys. Not something that makes me physically sick and causes me to fall over.

What gets me is the fact that I told them it made me feel sick literally 2 seconds after first putting them on and they just styled it out like that's what's supposed to happen.

EDIT: Hell, I still feel slightly nauseous now and it's seven hours after wearing the damned things for 10 minutes. I've emailed the opticians about it. It's like a bad acid simulator you wear on your face, complete with shitty comedown.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:57 - 06 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do get that with new glasses. I skipped Specsavers and the usual high street stuff and went to a proper opticians with doctors and the like, had a full scan of my eye, checked far more than normal.

When they checked my glasses they said the prescription was alright but it didn't factor in the shape and that my vision whilst clear would have been doing more harm than good. For ref my prescription is +6.00 and +.7.5, I now have a special set of glasses with a set BVD and lenses that curve slightly at the top and dead straight at the sides.

That gave me what you had for a good 3 weeks, but I can honestly tell you my vision is absolutely fucking crisp now. I can read extremely well, I no longer have focus issues and aside from doing a 10 hour shift at the desk, all other evenings I'm fine well into the dark hours. Natural light is a godsend for my eyes.

Appreciate you might not want to stick to them, but I'd be lost without them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 06 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

By about 50 most people can expect to sometimes need reading glasses for small print and stuff like phones and computers, I have a few pairs from ebay rated 1.5 they are well under £5 so can have one pair upstairs one in kitchen one in car rather than carrying them about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:15 - 06 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got scammed by opticians year ago, for reading glasses. There's nothing wrong with my eyes, it's about the weakest prescription possible without it just being plain glass. They have been in a drawer ever since.

Opticians fill in an odd quirk in the UK healthcare system, where it's all done for profit. I'm used to trusting the advice of medical professionals, opticians are the only ones pushing something I don't need and making money out of it. I suppose vets could be the same, but the ones I've used have had some ethics.

Stinkwheel - struggling to read tiny text is a function of age and light. If you get more light on it, you might be ok. It's something that kicks in around 40. Often described as people asking when the writing on the shampoo bottle got smaller, when they're struggling to read in sat on the loo.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 06 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t care what anyone says, print on packaging is definitely getting smaller and harder to read. It must be to fit all the nonsense information that modern regulations require.

Oh, and don’t get me started on the challenges of actually getting in to the effing packaging Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 06 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sorry, I suffer from CSS" Can't See Shit Smile

Last eye test revealed my eyes are equally fucked which is a good thing as I can get by with Poundland's finest. I have found my distance vision can be a bit blurry if I spend all day on the computer. Sounds like I should take more breaks rather than see the optometrist about it.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate realising that I am still awake dicking around on the computer when "Play Ojo" comes on the telly. The presenters prattle on for about half an hour before I realise its even on, and therefore is extremely v.late.

Its like still being up in the 80s when Get Stuffed! came on Laughing - "omg is that the time??" Laughing

At least the mad chefs were entertaining, not like these blaaand presenters. Brick Wall

I need to get in my bed.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trains.

Evil or Very Mad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:07 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Trains.

Evil or Very Mad

Yes. I'm done with those. I did a relatively short train journey to go and see my brother in the summer and it was their one last chance. I told myself if it all went well, I'd give them another go, if it was a total fuckery, that would be my last train journey.

The outbound journey ran on time but all the ventilation in the train was broken and none of the windows could be opened. Bordering on heat exhaustion when I arrived.

The return journey stopped after about 15 minutes then turned into a tram journey. Then when the tram got to the next station, the next train was cancelled. Nobody offering any help for how to get home. Eventually just jumped a train heading in the right direction. Arrived home 4 hours late (for a 90 minute journey) then had to fork out for a taxi home because we'd missed the last bus.

Fuck trains.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversely I have been considering taking some train holidays recently as there is currently no need for me to go home to NZ.

I've actually thought about training around the Hindu Kush, but I'm not sure its appropriate for a bird of my vintage, as I do like comfort rather than economy.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The family memorial thing I went to recently, my aunt went by train. She also complained the heating in the carriage being stuck full-on.

On the other hand, local metro systems - TFL, overground, trams - usually pretty good in my experience.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:29 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs stinkwheel is away at the moment. Someone dropped a card and present for her at the desk at work, I've no idea who. That'll cheer her up, thinks I. I'll pop that in the post to her.

Put it in a box and went to the post office to send it to her. "What's in the box?" they wanted to know. "I dunno, a present for my wife.". "If you don't know what's in it, we can't accept it."

FFS. Rolling Eyes "Ok" says I. "I'll just go to a different post office and lie about it.".

Had a puss on her like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle.

Sent it with DPD instead. Fuck the post office.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mrs stinkwheel is away at the moment. Someone dropped a card and present for her at the desk at work, I've no idea who. That'll cheer her up, thinks I. I'll pop that in the post to her.

Put it in a box and went to the post office to send it to her. "What's in the box?" they wanted to know. "I dunno, a present for my wife.". "If you don't know what's in it, we can't accept it."

FFS. Rolling Eyes "Ok" says I. "I'll just go to a different post office and lie about it.".

Had a puss on her like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle.

Sent it with DPD instead. Fuck the post office.

Yeah I had that problem once, when the lady at the PO asked I told her it was " ... green tea leaves imbued with manuka honey ..."
She even asked me if I wanted to insure them. Errrr, no thanks.

You can only get away with that if you're a reasonably well-spoken* mature woman (for once I was also reasonably well-dressed)

*I had to ramp up the posh accent a bit ...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest attempt at the risk register dashboard has failed miserably Laughing
A month after the assurance lady has retired, and I can't get it right despite following her intructions implicitly, grrrr ... !!

All the info shows up on the main part of the document, like for the whole group, but has not populated the areas showing the results for individual specialties.

I don't care, I've just sent it back to the main hospital Risk geeks and said "It don't work and I dunneven know how to fix it". Not my problem, I did what I was told.

I knew I shoulda applied for the job as the CEO's exec assistant, I'd be pouring tea and offering biscuits to the mayor of Kensington or the master of Fitzwilliam "More tea* milady?" instead of wrangling with fucking Excel Brick Wall

Fucking pivot tables. Rolling Eyes

*no not that manuka-infused stuff, milady ... Rolling Eyes Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brick Wall And now the bloody Italian has just asked me to cancel tomorrow's clinic.
Four patients, three of them new.
FFS , here we go a-fucking-gain.

We were just managing to get ourselves out of his Christmas crisis Rolling Eyes

*bungs another £200 on his April invoice just for the aggravation*

*to be fair, his kid is unwell, so I would prolly do the same if it was me. But still ... its a regular thing ... cancel everything at short notice Brick Wall

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 07:48 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Fucking pivot tables. Rolling Eyes

Have you forgotten to refresh them? (Click in the PIVOt table, a new heading for PIVOT tale will appear at the top, click refresh)

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have not, sir.
I have not forgotten because that is in the User Guide which the assurance lady left for me.

I've sent it off to the "Central" spreadsheet people now, and passed the buck, claiming that I am too noob and too rubbish at Excel to be left to tinker with it.

My boss has said well done for having the initiative to send it back instead of wasting valuable days trying to figure it out - so I can get on with the business of doing other shite in the meantime.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 22 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermarket crisps with ‘posh’ flavours which seem to be all the same. Prawn cocktail, cheddar and red onion, Worcester sauce, cider vinegar and sea salt…, they’re all just a different concentration of the same chemical flavouring.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 24 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree.
I rarely venture away from Ready Salted Shifty

I think I had some roast lamb ones once, that were kind of funky.
But generally ... not impressed at fancy flavours.

Although I do like those vegetable ones: parsnip and beetroot.
They're very nice.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Although I do like those vegetable ones: parsnip and beetroot.
They're very nice.

Yes, but they do turn the water red in the morning. Knowing that beetroot would do that but I hadn’t had any, I spent a morning at work silently fretting about bum cancer until I remembered I’d had those crisps the night before.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 26 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online banking.

Quote:
Sorry, we're unable to show you all your account info at the moment. This also means you’ll be unable to make payments from some accounts. We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as we can.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177
Page 177 of 177