Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

100mph Petition. Yay or nay?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 18 Apr 2024    Post subject: 100mph Petition. Yay or nay? Reply with quote

Laughing https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/651666

Personally I think it's very long overdue.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:29 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an election year. Yeah, great idea. I mean it's never going to happen but certainly not right now.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:51 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, never going to happen as much as i would like it. It's mildly amusing that the speed limits were set when cars like the Anglia were around that struggled to reach 70 anyway Laughing

What on earth would they have to bleat about on reality police shows if they couldn't say 'he was doing over 100mph, think of the kittens'.

Other than Germany our national speed limits are pretty much on par with other European countries anyway.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a good idea if leaving a decent gap is enforced/becomes the social norm. We may all think we have the reactions of a cobra but the truth is most of us don't.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

No going to happen, they have already lowered the speed limt permanatly on a stretch of the M1 past Sheffield/Rovrum to 60mph, sighting "air Quality" as the main reason

Quote:
Part of the M1 near Sheffield, which has a 60mph speed limit in place to improve air quality, has fined over 22,500 people in four years.

These fines, from just a 2.6 mile stretch of smart motorway, would have led to more than £2.25 million for the government if paid in full, data obtained by The Telegraph shows.

Ahh yes, "air quality", not the £2.25 million generated

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

100mph straightaway? Seems mad. Staged over several years 80, 90, 100 with monitoring of accidents etc. would make more sense.

100 really means people feel comfortable doing 110+ same as 70mph means 80~90 (unless there are cameras about.)

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never going to happen, much as the vast majority of us would like it to be.

Although cars have improved hugely since the 70mph speed limit was introduced, the number of cars has increased massively and we literally don't have room for those sort of speeds safely anymore. Perhaps a possible option is to have increased speed limits during quiet hours, rather than just reducing speed limits during busy hours.

As an aside, I've always found the whole distance between cars measurement ridiculous from an official standpoint. It doesn't take into account that if the person in front of you brakes they don't come to an instant stop, so you get more room to effect evasive manoeuvres than they say anyway.

As for Sheffield M1, do not get me started!! What a fucking joke... can't remember the last time I saw it at 60mph anyway with the continuous roadworks slowing it to 50mph. And if it is due to 'air quality' why are they not letting all the electric cars go faster? They're not contributing to poor air quality (and no, I don't have one).
It was great to have the Parkway from Sheffield to the M1 increased to 4 lanes fairly recently, but of course again that's short lived - they've now closed 2 of them off for roadworks and it's all gone back to queuing again.

So to talk of increasing any speed limits, there's just no point until the roads are actually open long enough to be able to use for that.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not whilst you have a hole in your arse will that happen. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

If I put a cork in it will it happen then?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:22 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars doing 100mph and whilst lorries are still doing 60mph on smart motorways that don't have hard shoulders couldn't possibly go wrong.

Polarbear wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

If I put a cork in it will it happen then?

https://i.imgur.com/u1yCqkA.gif

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 19 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

...have any of you signed it though? Laughing

Good points made, particularly about EVs.
It's a widely accepted fact that after 8pm everyone ventures upto 100 so I can't see it would be that bigger change.

I am surprised though that the Jeremy Clarkson crowd haven't gone ape Thinking

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:43 - 20 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The welsh idiotic politicians are rowing back on their 20mph now. Many roads expected to revert to 30.

Hope they reverse all the stealth drops they carried out too. 50's to 40's etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:40 - 20 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never gonna happen, and to be honest does it really need to be? Generally I find anything above 80 and my fuel economy just absolutely tanks,so I sit at an indicated 80 knowing Im doing about 75-ish according to GPS speed and in the sweet spot of making progress and not having to fuel up every half hour.

Now what Id really love to see is like some US states where at night they switch off traffic lights or just have a 4 way flashing amber. Theres one total fucker of a roundabout on my way to work that always goes red as I approach it, stays red for about 10 minutes as it cycles through every other entrance which of course no fucker is using because its 4am and what idiot is up on the roads at that time? And of course it has a red light camera too because they know full well people would totally ignore it if they could.

The problem is, the general public are thick as clotted pig shit and need protecting from themselves. Just look at the retards who manage to crash on a straight bit of motorway. There should be a second driving licence for people who aren't complete spastics and are allowed a little more leeway with the rules Razz

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 21 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact petition is four months into its six month run and only has 5,500 signatures kind of shows the lack of interest. Given the state of our roads, volume of traffic and falling standard of driving, personally I think it's a bonkers idea.

Last edited by Capt Sisko on 07:54 - 23 Apr 2024; edited 1 time in total

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:35 - 22 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: 100mph Petition. Yay or nay? Reply with quote

Signed the whole family up.

As everyone else has said, it won't happen, but take that attitude and nobody would ever vote. Took me less than 5 minutes. No big deal.

Polarbear wrote:
Other than Germany our national speed limits are pretty much on par with other European countries anyway.

Not sure about this? Having driven/ridden through much of France and Spain they seem to be 120/130 works out 75/80.

80 would be nice.

I do believe there should be much harsher punishments for tailgating than speeding when no other offence is involved. It's far more dangerous.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 23 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot support it.

It would be nice to do for myself, but it opens the floodgates to loads of younger drivers and drivers who are absolute fannies hooning around 100 - 120mph more than there is now.

I wholly believe in letting natural selection run it's course. If the oik cunts were killing themselves that's one thing but it's the innocent people in other cars they smash into I am thinking about.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 14:22 - 23 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I cannot support it.

It would be nice to do for myself, but it opens the floodgates to loads of younger drivers and drivers who are absolute fannies hooning around 100 - 120mph more than there is now.

I wholly believe in letting natural selection run it's course. If the oik cunts were killing themselves that's one thing but it's the innocent people in other cars they smash into I am thinking about.

Very true. Some/most people just don't possess the skill/experience/attentiveness to safely drive at those speeds.

That said - seems to work ok in Germany?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 23 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
That said - seems to work ok in Germany?

Germans are much, much stricter on vehicle mods and roadworthiness. And although there's a suggested speed limit of 130kph (~80mph) insurance policies might not pay out if you're found to have gone way over that.

tl;dr totally different mindset to the UK.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 23 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 mph, you say? Sure, as Polarbear says, the current speed limit of 80 mph was set back when... but so were the roads in question built. Smile

As for the German model, their TüV (MOT) ensures only the tourists drive poor condition cars there. Let's not forget, that Germans are also rather orderly drivers, so once again, only tourists do stupid things on the Autobahn.

I visited Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg last year. Now, roughly 60% of the time on the Autobahn, going from the very east of Bavaria to the very west of the Baden-Württemberg there was a speed limit of 130 km/h, due to poor road condition, dense traffic and road works of all sorts.

Anyway, it was cool to cruise at 180 km/h when possible, reaching the top speed of 235 km/h. You get comfortable very quickly. That being said, the only time I've realised how fast I was going was the time I had to do emergency braking from said 180 km/h down to about 100 km/h, because of one unorderly tourist driver. So, that's one thing to take into consideration, especially when it's safe to say, as Easy-X mentions, the British MOT, just like the Czech equivalent, is not as strict as the German TüV.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 00:08 - 24 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah fair enough

All good points

I have to admit I'm always appalled at the quality of UK drivers when I get back from a drive/ride on the continent. It's not just the Germans (although they may be the cream) I find the French and Spaniards very good drivers also (with the exception of Paris and a small radius around it, they all drive like total cunts!).
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1