Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fettled Bike 2. 1979 Yamaha DT175MX Restoration.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

tinkicker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:25 - 08 Jul 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 5 litres of fuel in the tank and I am a happy bunny.
Whistling a happy tune, I felt the requirement for the invigorating effects of my favourite French, ground aribica bean beverage; and toddled off into the kitchen to make it.
In my minds eye, I would sit on the sofa with cup and saucer in hand, sipping away and gazing fondly at the bike before recommencing battle.

The missus was working the weekend, so I could run the bike to my hearts content and still have time to open the living room windows and ventilate any fumes that leaked past the doors into the room.

As I sipped, I smelt a growing smell of petrol, and thinking the carb was overflowing, put down my cup and went to turn the fuel off.

The fuel was off..... The blasted fuel tank was leaking. He said he had lined the tank in his ad, which he had.
Obviously the lining had failed.

This could turn out to be very expensive.

I then thought back to when I first got the bike. Was it leaking then?

No it wasn't because it only had enough fuel in for 600 yards of riding and it ran out of petrol on the test ride.

The smoking gun. The old devil knew about the leak and only put enough fuel in it to start it.
The paint and bodywork being about the only thing I was able to give the old ball bag any respect for, was in fact duff.

I had three choices.

1. Find a good tank and have it painted which was going to cost a kidney.

2. Try the slim chance of fixing the leak by putting yet more liner in. Another costly option but which did not entail selling any body parts.

3. Try soldering up the holes. I am not a big fan of conducting hotwork on fuel tanks, I have seen the results of it going horribly wrong in safety films at college, complete with blood spattered holes in roofs. I did not have the equipment at home to do it and it was the least favourite option.

I went for the wafer thin chance of option two and bought the various cleaners and potions required. Another unexpected 8 x £10 notes, flying and flapping away from my pocket.

I do not have a fuel filter fetish, the pic was in fact taken to show the leak. Just in front of the oil tank wing nut. Those two drips are leaking fuel.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51661362943_e530dcad2a_h.jpg

Having spent much of my working life on 24/7 breakdown cover with a commercial vehicle hire business hiring out 27,000 vehicles nationally, I hate mobile phones with a passion and they are not glued constantly to my hip.
I had a missed call from my suspension guys in Bradford and a follow up text asking me to call them back at my soonest convenience.....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 08 Jul 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the actual fuck paints a tank without being 110% certain it doesn't leak?!

tinkicker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:32 - 08 Jul 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Who the actual fuck paints a tank without being 110% certain it doesn't leak?!

Beezlebub is loving it. Me.. Not so much.

https://www.heritagedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/shutterstock-1501712105-1-1500x1000.jpg

tinkicker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:48 - 09 Jul 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

With heavy heart, I gave my suspension guys a call...
Whassup?
We examined your fork tubes and are happy that there is sufficient meat left to clear out the pitting, but they are bent.
Bent?
Yup, both running out by about 5mm.
We need to put em on our machine to straighten them before we can put them in the tube grinding machine.
OK.
Its £50 per leg to true them up. Its getting to be an expensive job, we tried to source some aftermarket 31mm tubes but no one is doing them and they are no longer available from Yamaha. New ones would have been the cheaper option.
Fine, just do it. We have no choice.
Ok bye, click.

Silence punctuated by quiet sobbing. I heartily wish my PC had blown up the day I set eyes on that cursed bike.
Obviously another relic of that accident 40 odd years ago...

Once you know what to expect, it stands out like a sore thumb..
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51326879500_c60412e464_h.jpg

tinkicker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:50 - 10 Jul 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaners and potions duly arrived, instructions were consulted and followed to the letter and the new liner material put in the tank. It was left near a radiator for over two weeks to cure and then the tank was refitted.
Fuel was fearfully poured in and breath held.

No leaks! Yay.

I figured it would be wise to take a look inside the airbox. He said he had fitted a new filter but that means nothing.
What is this idiots definition of a filter? An old sock?
Filter was in fact new and was made of foam. It was also the wrong one and badly fitted.

The DT monoshock has two types of filter.
Early type that is stretched over the cage and squeezed between the airbox body and the airbox lid to hold it in place.
​​​​ Cost about £20.

Later type is slightly smaller and stretched over a cage, which is held in place with a large washer and wingnut. Cost about £12.

Guess which he had fitted.....

It was too small for the cage, one side had slipped out and would have allowed unfiltered air to the motor. It also had a hole in the end for the stud, washer and wingnut arrangement where there should not be one.

Another £20 flying and flapping away adding to the many £100s already spent on this "fully restored and overhauled bike". It had not been oiled...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51660329592_10d5fdf0ad_h.jpg

tinkicker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:55 - 11 Jul 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for the tubes coming back and not much to do. They have a six week turnaround time for rechroming forks. Meanwhile, I had two niggles.
1. He had highly polished the fork outer tubes which is the incorrect finish.
2. He had fitted a really cheap seat cover for some reason. Maybe the original was torn in the accident. I dunno.
AlI knew is it was the wrong un and lumpy as hell.

I set to with grey scotchbrite and five coats of clearcoat to get the finish right on the forks and ordered the correct style seat cover for the model year.

Forks refinished and being allowed to harden. That seat cover is horrible and plain wrong without a logo.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51694881563_3599b74012_h.jpg

The correct seat cover fitted. Looks better than expected even though the foam is a bit crispy underneath in places. The 79 UK model had the logo on the rear and a seat strap. European and all later models had a larger logo on each side and no strap.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51708951169_fcbbdc8be0_h.jpg

tinkicker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:21 - 12 Jul 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a good month or so of inaction, the fork tubes arrived. With new industrial chrome around 20 thou thick, they should never pit again.

Went into the conservatory to put them by the bike and sniffed. Faint smell of petrol, probably from the carb and tank vents. Shrugged my shoulders and left.
Three days later, the next Saturday, I decided to crack on and get the forks built up and fitted. Opened the conservatory door and extremely strong smell of petrol.

The tank had started leaking again.

https://hypixel.net/attachments/facepalm-png.1601369/

tinkicker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:25 - 12 Jul 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drained the tank once again and set to building the forks. My teeth were so clenched together, I could have bit through a 1" rebar. I was heartily sick of that infernal machine.

Got the forks built up and had enough for that weekend. I had to walk away.

Suspension guys made an excellent job of the fork tubes, meanwhile the old tosspot was still haunting me.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51739355853_348b2e5712_h.jpg

I needed to source another tank that was not rotted through underneath and get it painted. That was not going to be cheap.
It was time I contacted the old villain and advise him of the new circumstances he was about to be enjoying in the near future. That tank was the final straw. The only thing major left of his "full restoration and rebuild" was the stove enamelled frame.
I had forgiven his lies too many times.
It was time to seek reparations either voluntarily or legally. I was fit to explode.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4